• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Was Lawrence Phillips the only reason Nebraska won in 1995

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are a dumb ass.

I'm a WOMAN.

By posting this as a topic all on it's own it shows that my opinion bothered you enough to do so. Which mean, on some level you don't want to admit, you fear I'm right.

You also don't want to admit that there's no way the 'man' should have been on the field at all that year after throwing a woman down a flight of stairs, ramming her head first into a wall, and leaving her bleeding from the skull.

Wonderful school you have there.

Had Tom Osbourne done what was right and actually PUNISHED him, he might not be in prison right now for 7 counts of assault. And he'll be there till he's 56.

I've also noticed that most of those responding are NE fans....gee, I wonder which way they'll go on this.
-------
On a comparitive level, what LP did was mild compared to alot of the shit that football players get away with. Now that that's out of the way. TO has admitted one of his biggest regrets was LP. But you fail to acknowledge his doctorate was in sports psychology meaning (in case that doesn't register to you) and he did what he could with TP under the circumstances.

Now assuming LP wouldn't have ended up in jail because of what TO did or didn't do is pure bullcrap ergo specultion.

Now whether or not we would have won the NC without LP? Either you weren't old enough to have seen that team play OR you could have cared less to watch that team play. Watching the option attack the way Nebraska played it (and you had to have a running QB that had excellent timeing), was about as fulid as anything I've ever witnessed. Nebraska could have had trained squirrels as I-backs and would have gotten the same results with OR without LP.

The biggest failure on Florida's part in that game is that they assumed (and incorrectly) the lack of quickness the Nebraska team had. Which did in effect neutralize the "speed" of Florida. So you had quickness and size vs. speed and speed got pounded into the ground.

Rather Be Fishin'

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are a dumb ass.

I'm a WOMAN.

By posting this as a topic all on it's own it shows that my opinion bothered you enough to do so. Which mean, on some level you don't want to admit, you fear I'm right.

You also don't want to admit that there's no way the 'man' should have been on the field at all that year after throwing a woman down a flight of stairs, ramming her head first into a wall, and leaving her bleeding from the skull.

Wonderful school you have there.

Had Tom Osbourne done what was right and actually PUNISHED him, he might not be in prison right now for 7 counts of assault. And he'll be there till he's 56.

I've also noticed that most of those responding are NE fans....gee, I wonder which way they'll go on this.

I think you are missing the point. It didn't bother him, he just wanted to point out that you don't know what you are talking about. That Nebraska team is considered one, if not the, best college team ever.

You are wrong.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, you cannot ignore the football realities.....
Nebraska has never been the same in the 16 years since Texas cut off their pipeline of talent.
And yet, they are now one of the leaders in academic all americans each season.

What more needs to be said. Texas knew they had to bring Nebraska down to make themselves look better and they would use any means possible.

PS: Nebraska has been a leader in Academic All Americans lonngggg before the formation of the Big XII.

bigred472

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska has never been the same in the 16 years since Texas cut off their pipeline of talent.
-------
Good to see the one note psycho from Texaas posting again. Here's a reality you cannot ignore----with all the great recruiting Texas has been doing in basketball/football/basebal/track, your whole program is currently in the toilet. So, your prodigious use of "fulll qualifiers" has proven to be of major help to your program huh?

Rather Be Fishin'

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
Good to see the one note psycho from Texaas posting again. Here's a reality you cannot ignore----with all the great recruiting Texas has been doing in basketball/football/basebal/track, your whole program is currently in the toilet. So, your prodigious use of "fulll qualifiers" has proven to be of major help to your program huh?

His program? I highly doubt he went to University of Texas. You don't work at McDonalds for 20 years with a degree from UT. Just saying.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offensive line carried them. Thread

bigred472

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offensive line carried them. Thread
-------
Not entirely true. The defense only gave up an average of 15.5 points per game

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the one game LP played in after being suspended for 9 games, Nebraska held Florida to 29 yds rushing.

As has been said. Nebraska wins the NC regardless of LP.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much fail in this thread. So much.

Rather Be Fishin'

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much fail in this thread. So much.

I've noticed that, too. Most of that Midnight dudes posts are littered with ignorance, baiting, false posturing and opinions that he believes to be fact. Makes me shake my head while laughing out loud.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've noticed that, too. Most of that Midnight dudes posts are littered with ignorance, baiting, false posturing and opinions that he believes to be fact. Makes me shake my head while laughing out loud.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackshirt

Who is Mike Riley?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Midnight is about to get even more angry because we are suppose to know she's a WOMAN and not a male by her username. I guess the whole angel thing can used as mix gender? Sounds dark and mysterious not exactly feminine :noidea:

Rather Be Fishin'

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Midnight is about to get even more angry because we are suppose to know she's a WOMAN and not a male by her username. I guess the whole angel thing can used as mix gender? Sounds dark and mysterious not exactly feminine :noidea:

That dude is really a chick? Or a female pretending to be a male? I'm so confused.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
On a comparitive level, what LP did was mild compared to alot of the shit that football players get away with. Now that that's out of the way. TO has admitted one of his biggest regrets was LP. But you fail to acknowledge his doctorate was in sports psychology meaning (in case that doesn't register to you) and he did what he could with TP under the circumstances.

Now assuming LP wouldn't have ended up in jail because of what TO did or didn't do is pure bullcrap ergo specultion.

Now whether or not we would have won the NC without LP? Either you weren't old enough to have seen that team play OR you could have cared less to watch that team play. Watching the option attack the way Nebraska played it (and you had to have a running QB that had excellent timeing), was about as fulid as anything I've ever witnessed. Nebraska could have had trained squirrels as I-backs and would have gotten the same results with OR without LP.

The biggest failure on Florida's part in that game is that they assumed (and incorrectly) the lack of quickness the Nebraska team had. Which did in effect neutralize the "speed" of Florida. So you had quickness and size vs. speed and speed got pounded into the ground.

Oh I'm well aware that DOCTOR Tom Osbourne has his degree in sports psych. I had hoards of Nebraska fans keep telling me that.

In the end how he handled the kid was pure wrong.

And no, I don't see many kids doing worse then LP today. But please, point them out.

He didn't do what he could have done....he COULD have suspended him for the entire year at least. Teach him that he's not above the law. That his football abilities - which were outstanding by the way - weren't going to get him off the hook for felonious assault.

He should have gone to prison.

Did he?

Nope - amazing how the NE 'justice' system slapped him on the wrist just like Tom.

On a semi-related note, part of the problem is that these kids are treated like they're special starting in high school. Do what you want, just play football. They get away with it in high school and in college, then when the NFL actually punishes them they get all shocked and shaken.

Part of it is on the kids and part of it is on the coaches that handle them.

LP was taught that football was more important than what you did off the field and it was the wrong lesson.

He could have been a HoFer. Think for a moment about his balance between power and speed. And he's no liability in the pass game either because he'd be a solid pass blocker. He had the ingredients. Dick Vermeil and Jimmy Johnson both thought so it's just that they couldn't put up with a guy that slapped women around.

Tom Osbourne failed LP. It was the wrong call, keeping him on the team.

Papalou

disMEMBER
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I'm well aware that DOCTOR Tom Osbourne has his degree in sports psych. I had hoards of Nebraska fans keep telling me that.

In the end how he handled the kid was pure wrong.

And no, I don't see many kids doing worse then LP today. But please, point them out.

He didn't do what he could have done....he COULD have suspended him for the entire year at least. Teach him that he's not above the law. That his football abilities - which were outstanding by the way - weren't going to get him off the hook for felonious assault.

He should have gone to prison.

Did he?

Nope - amazing how the NE 'justice' system slapped him on the wrist just like Tom.

On a semi-related note, part of the problem is that these kids are treated like they're special starting in high school. Do what you want, just play football. They get away with it in high school and in college, then when the NFL actually punishes them they get all shocked and shaken.

Part of it is on the kids and part of it is on the coaches that handle them.

LP was taught that football was more important than what you did off the field and it was the wrong lesson.

He could have been a HoFer. Think for a moment about his balance between power and speed. And he's no liability in the pass game either because he'd be a solid pass blocker. He had the ingredients. Dick Vermeil and Jimmy Johnson both thought so it's just that they couldn't put up with a guy that slapped women around.

For what it is worth, Tom Osbourne said later in his career that he deeply regretted the way he handled Lawrence Phillips. He also said that he believes it was one of the largest mistakes he had ever made in giving LP a second chance.

It isnt hard to tell that you resent Mr Osborne but let me assure you that he isnt a horrible person, just a person who like all of the rest of us who has made mistakes.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With regard to LP, though there is NO question he shouldn't have been on the field.

If the average Joe throws his girlfriend down a flight of stairs (and act that alone could have killed her), then rams her head first into a wall (again, that alone could have killed her) and walked away leaving her bleeding from the skull...

Average Joe would be in jail, and may I add rightfully so.

Why wasn't he?

Because he played football for the Huskers.

He wasn't even suspended for a year!

I was living in Lincoln at the time and said that not only would LP not make it in the NFL because Tom didn't teach him his lesson, but might end up in prison.

What happened?

He failed with the Rams and 'Fins - both due to fighting with women off the field - and is now in prison in CA, where he'll be till he's 56.

I can see taking borderline players to give them another shot at life but when said player does something like this, there should have been no second chance. He should have been out of football.

And NE has another reason to hate the 'Horns.....we usually owned them.

tumblr_lvs3s5asi81r6mw6zo1_500.jpg

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you're going to question someone like Tom Osborne's character, at least spell their name right, Meg.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what it is worth, Tom Osbourne said later in his career that he deeply regretted the way he handled Lawrence Phillips. He also said that he believes it was one of the largest mistakes he had ever made in giving LP a second chance.

It isnt hard to tell that you resent Mr Osborne but let me assure you that he isnt a horrible person, just a person who like all of the rest of us who has made mistakes.

Honestly?

I remember that the 'Huskers lost the national championship game the year before to Florida St. on a completly bullshit call by the ref.

They left the field that day with unfinished business.

I think Tom knew that if he kept LP on the field it gave him a better shot at winning the national championship. I just can't believe that he chose to leave him on the field PURELY out of what was best for LP.

He had a conflict of interest there.

Would LP have gone on to commit all those crimes if Tom had been hard on him? I have no idea. I think he stands a better chance of not committing them, though.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly?

I remember that the 'Huskers lost the national championship game the year before to Florida St. on a completly bullshit call by the ref.

They left the field that day with unfinished business.

I think Tom knew that if he kept LP on the field it gave him a better shot at winning the national championship. I just can't believe that he chose to leave him on the field PURELY out of what was best for LP.

He had a conflict of interest there.

Would LP have gone on to commit all those crimes if Tom had been hard on him? I have no idea. I think he stands a better chance of not committing them, though.

And you would be wrong yet again.

Nebraska won the NC the year before by beating Miami in the Orange Bowl. Miami with Warren Sapp, Ray Lewis, et al.