• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Was Lawrence Phillips the only reason Nebraska won in 1995

Blackshirt

Who is Mike Riley?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Midnightangel says so...

Thanks for admitting you lost the argument. The first person to throw insults usually is.

You didn't have any response when I said he shouldn't have been on the field AT ALL that year since he committed a felony.

And eveidently you missed his stats for that game. 165 yards and 2 TD's on 25 carries. He also scored on a pass. So that's 21 of 62 points? Naw....you didn't need him at all. :L

You needed him - if you didn't Tom would have suspended him all year, if not cut him altogether.

Tom had the chance to teach him a lesson and he passed on it to make sure he got his ring.

Meh, it only cost LP his future so....great job, Tom!!!

I thought I'd open it up to the general public, I was so baffled by his remark I just said he was a dumb ass so I lost the argument :lol:

Blackshirt

Who is Mike Riley?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a nutshell my argument is Nebraska would've won without LP, and LP sat quite a few games that year and it made no difference.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a nutshell my argument is Nebraska would've won without LP, and LP sat quite a few games that year and it made no difference.

Considering that Nebraska won the game that he referred to 62-24, I think the 'Huskers would have been just fine without LP's 21 points.

Also, seeing as how good that '95 team was, I'm sure they would have had an adequate replacement.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a related note, I went to jr high and then high school with him at West Covina High until he transferred to Baldwin Park High. I could tell back then that he had issues. He was always in and out of foster care. I remember him blowing up at coaches and players as a freshman. He was the most talented dude at our school, other than a basketball player named Clyde Jordan. What a waste.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahman Green carried the team all year because LP was suspended after the second game of the season @ Michigan St.

Nebraska would have performed just the same had Ahman started the NC game.

I think Nebraska played 4-5 RB's in that NC game against Florida. They all had success.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering that Nebraska won the game that he referred to 62-24, I think the 'Huskers would have been just fine without LP's 21 points.

Also, seeing as how good that '95 team was, I'm sure they would have had an adequate replacement.

:nod:

Ahman Green

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Osborne suspended him for 9 games.

Shall we blame Dick Vermeil and the St Louis Rams for drafting him 6th overall and giving him another chance?

How about the Miami Dolphins and Bill Walsh of the San Francisco 49ers for also giving him chances?

Blackshirt

Who is Mike Riley?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not arguing LP is a good person, just that we would've won in 95 without him.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Midnightangel says so...

I thought I'd open it up to the general public, I was so baffled by his remark I just said he was a dumb ass so I lost the argument :lol:

I grew up a Husker fan, I remember Frazier's 199 yards rushing a lot more than anything Phillips did in that game...Frazier was the MVP too, so I can't be the only one.

I have no doubt that Nebraska would have had exactly the same record with or without Phillips.

brin3535

moose twit!
Hoopla Cash
$ 955.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'95 Nebraska was in my opinion the best college football team in the modern ear. They didn't need LP to win that game and if Midnightangel took the time to watch that team play she'd know that.

brin3535

moose twit!
Hoopla Cash
$ 955.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grew up a Husker fan, I remember Frazier's 199 yards rushing a lot more than anything Phillips did in that game...Frazier was the MVP too, so I can't be the only one.

I have no doubt that Nebraska would have had exactly the same record with or without Phillips.

That and the score of the game in question would have been at least the same or perhaps even worse.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They won because I bet on the gators.

That said, do we need 2 threads for the same personal argument?

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Midnightangel says so...

You are a dumb ass.

I'm a WOMAN.

By posting this as a topic all on it's own it shows that my opinion bothered you enough to do so. Which mean, on some level you don't want to admit, you fear I'm right.

You also don't want to admit that there's no way the 'man' should have been on the field at all that year after throwing a woman down a flight of stairs, ramming her head first into a wall, and leaving her bleeding from the skull.

Wonderful school you have there.

Had Tom Osbourne done what was right and actually PUNISHED him, he might not be in prison right now for 7 counts of assault. And he'll be there till he's 56.

I've also noticed that most of those responding are NE fans....gee, I wonder which way they'll go on this.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are a dumb ass.

I'm a WOMAN.

By posting this as a topic all on it's own it shows that my opinion bothered you enough to do so. Which mean, on some level you don't want to admit, you fear I'm right.

You also don't want to admit that there's no way the 'man' should have been on the field at all that year after throwing a woman down a flight of stairs, ramming her head first into a wall, and leaving her bleeding from the skull.

Wonderful school you have there.

Had Tom Osbourne done what was right and actually PUNISHED him, he might not be in prison right now for 7 counts of assault. And he'll be there till he's 56.

I've also noticed that most of those responding are NE fans....gee, I wonder which way they'll go on this.

Technically he wasn't. He was suspended after the 2nd game of 1995 and didn't return until Jan 1996.

He was punished. What do you call being "suspended for the rest of the year"? He also had a list of hoops he had to jump through to include counseling, maintaining grades, off the field behavior, community services etc.

How much responsibility do the St Louis Rams, Miami Dolphins, and San Francisco 49'ers have in his behavior once he left Nebraska?

Why must you shout that you're a 'woman' anyway?

Tom Osborne did what he could to help the kid with his problems dealing with issues of being abandoned by his mother (a woman). Just as Dick Vermeil and Bill Walsh did.

Tom Osborne has been selected to be on the Play-off Committee. His peers think quit highly of him as a person. Go picket them.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Nebraska era of "partial qualifiers" and "non qualifiers" is an interesting study..

Clearly Nebraska had a lax policy. They were famously called "Open Admissions University".
In fairness, it is tough to get high quality recruits to Lincoln, so Osbourne took the risky players.

The core issue about PQ/NQ and shaky recruits is the seed of the TEXAS-NEBRASKA feud.
Texas wanted zero PQ/NQ in college football. They demanded that all kids be able to read/write.
Nebraska wanted the chance to help and educate borderline guys.

Texas lobbied the Big 12 and was able to get the league to vote 11-1 against Nebraska.
Nebraska felt betrayed by its Big 8 friends, and that was the seed of hating Texas.

Nebraska has never ever been the same since the PQ/NQ element was removed.
Nebraska has hated Texas ever since.
They are occasionally decent (9-3), but the days of being a superpower are over.

There is merits to both sides of the argument:

Tom Osbourne will point to many successful reclamations and great people who were former Nebraska Props. To his credit, he coached up and molded many Prop players into successful thriving members of society. He has a solid and great track record in that regard.

On the other side, we take a look at the 6 PROPS on the 1995 team.

1. CB Michael Booker - Drafted in the first round. Solid but unspectacular NFL career.
2. DT Christian Peter - r*pe allegations in college still played. Nebraska eventually paid money to the women involved and Osbourne apologized years later. 8 arrests overall including during pros.
3. CB Tyron Williams - 3 arrests and 1 jail sentence. NFL journeyman
4. DE Jared Tomich - 1 season in the NFL
5. WR Reggie Baul - 1 college arrest, substance abuse arrest after college
6. S Jamel Williams - 2 seasons in the NFL

So clearly, these guys helped win. NFL talent is vital to success.
5 of them were good enough to play in the NFL.

But, 3 out of the 6 players had multiple arrests and seemingly criminal lives.

It is a tough debate.
It is not entirely fair to Coach Osbourne to constantly attack his "criminal" players when they are many many many more that he developed into model citizens.

But, you cannot ignore the football realities.....
Nebraska has never been the same in the 16 years since Texas cut off their pipeline of talent.
And yet, they are now one of the leaders in academic all americans each season.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With regard to LP, though there is NO question he shouldn't have been on the field.

If the average Joe throws his girlfriend down a flight of stairs (and act that alone could have killed her), then rams her head first into a wall (again, that alone could have killed her) and walked away leaving her bleeding from the skull...

Average Joe would be in jail, and may I add rightfully so.

Why wasn't he?

Because he played football for the Huskers.

He wasn't even suspended for a year!

I was living in Lincoln at the time and said that not only would LP not make it in the NFL because Tom didn't teach him his lesson, but might end up in prison.

What happened?

He failed with the Rams and 'Fins - both due to fighting with women off the field - and is now in prison in CA, where he'll be till he's 56.

I can see taking borderline players to give them another shot at life but when said player does something like this, there should have been no second chance. He should have been out of football.

And NE has another reason to hate the 'Horns.....we usually owned them.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shall we discuss the rule that Texas pushed through to limit the amount of time Big XII coaches could be out of their offices recruiting?

Texas knew that it wouldn't effect them because Texas recruits send their applications to Austin in droves. The other Texas schools would also feel minimal impact from the rule. Okeel lahoma (closer to Texas) would also feel a lesser impact, but as time has gone by I think you can see it finally has taken it's toll there as well.

They sold it to the rest of the Big 8 schools on the premise that "if Nebraska isn't as good, you'll look better." The fact is that Texas relies on having "built in advantages" in every way over their fellow conference members.

Nebraska's ability to recruit was attacked in far more ways then just PQ's that Texas fans want you to know about.

Texas fans constantly want to throw out the term "ownership" whenever someone challenges them on their tactics of setting up advantages for themselves.

Did they beat Nebraska like 8 times? Yes, did they have recruiting advantages throughout Nebraska's time in the Big XII? Yes. Did they blow Nebraska off the field in thos wins? No. Anything but. With all those advantages Texas had, the vast majority of those wins were coin flips where they made the play at the right time.

If Nebraska was the only team to tell Texas to fuck off, then Texas fans may have a point, but Colorado, Missouri, and Texas A&M also gave them the finger for their tactics.

Texas had no intention of ever going to the PAC or Big 10 conferences. It was yet another tactic to suck further life blood out of their remaining fellow conference members for their own personal gain.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Yeah, but we owned you"

Well you should have.