• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Was Just Thinking

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of years ago I posted that the Steelers, while having a top 5 offense had a very poor run blocking line.
I was openly ridiculed. Steelers were 31st in running in the league and I was told they were not running because the passing game was playing so well.
They have now been bottom of the league in rushing for several years.
They are desperately trying to improve the O-line - too late!

What if the problems with our O-line are worse than they previously seemed?
What if we have waited too long to recognize that they really are not that good?

I don't have the answers. I'm just asking the question.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We won a Super Bowl with great run blocking three years ago. I kinda feel like our entire running scheme has changed since the retirement of James Develin. Jakob Johnson seems tough as nails but the run game just seems different now and there's no more "smash you in the face" running plays. Not sure who to blame that on but it's definitely an observation I've made.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The line was always good while Brady was here. BB and the staff knew that TB had to be kept upright and clean or the team was done. Having Newton and no money put the team in a bad position in 2020 and between Thuney leaving and injuries this year, it's become a boil with a big whitehead. I will say that the line against Houston may not have been up against the best, but they looked better than any previous game.

Looking at the schedule, there might be three more wins against the Jets, Jags and dare I say it, the Dolphins in Miami.

6-11 would put the Patriots in the top 10-12. Might be the time to focus on the OL in the draft or suffer the consequences for the next few years.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The line was always good while Brady was here. BB and the staff knew that TB had to be kept upright and clean or the team was done. Having Newton and no money put the team in a bad position in 2020 and between Thuney leaving and injuries this year, it's become a boil with a big whitehead. I will say that the line against Houston may not have been up against the best, but they looked better than any previous game.

Looking at the schedule, there might be three more wins against the Jets, Jags and dare I say it, the Dolphins in Miami.

6-11 would put the Patriots in the top 10-12. Might be the time to focus on the OL in the draft or suffer the consequences for the next few years.
Agree with almost everything. But I think, maybe it's hope that the Pats will steal a game or two more?

NE was at it's best when drafting the unsexy linemen picks early. For some reason Bill struggles picking playmakers early.

I'm all for an Olinemen with their first and even second pick if things continue this way, making the assumption no major injuries and most players return.

Unfortunately this draft looks weak on tackles. Especially LT. I'd take a flyer on Kinnard out of Kentucky.

There is some potential at guard early. Can we move guys around and sure up both tackle spots? Letting BB select the best G/T available?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not looking for John Hannah or Leon Gray. What I'd like to see is a Mankins or even a Solder type who can perform every week and be consistent enough to allow Mac to push his envelope about 15 yards deeper. If I were Ziegler or J. Kraft I'd have scouts watching at least 20 games a weekend and compiling data on every guard and tackle. I'd pay Dante a $1M a weekend to watch the O lines of the Div. I bottom feeders and see if there's a truffle amongst all of the mushrooms.

My mathematical portion of my brain is telling me the every college game has 4 starting tackles and guards. There are more than 300 Div. I games every weekend. Out of those 1200, let's say that there are 600 seniors or draft eligible juniors. My brain says that at least 30 linemen who are NFL ready are overlooked and never play football again. At least 30 linemen are drafted will never play in more than 6 games in their four year contracts.

Then make a rule that one tackle or guard will be drafted in the top four picks every year to keep the line viable and stacked with good, not great players. Rule 2. No broken toys unless they are a 6th or 7th round pick and they don't honestly need a player elsewhere. Again, a truffle amonst the mushrooms.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When a process isn't working, the 1st thing you must know is, is the process a bad process or are we not following the process?

Same with our O-line. Are they not any good or are we playing "wrong?"

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for an Olinemen with their first and even second pick if things continue this way, making the assumption no major injuries and most players return.
As long as we don't reach for one with a few prior knee surgeries....

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as we don't reach for one with a few prior knee surgeries....
Like I said, "No broken toys."

BB loves to take these guys and let them spend a year rehabbing. They 'might' play a full season and then the inevitable happens and the injury rears it's ugly head again.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Common practice. Too common. Every Olineman drafted must spend time on the IR.
I've got your trump card (excuse the [non]political reference), his name is Gronk. Yes BB drafted a few late first rounders with injury histories but hit the motherload by drafting Gronk with an injury history. When drafting the others he just didn't have choices to draft that were so valuable it wasn't worth the "high risk high reward" scenarios he chose. Sure there were other players that panned out drafted after the flubs, but I'd guess BB's crystal ball may have been on the fritz...

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure there were other players that panned out drafted after the flubs, but I'd guess BB's crystal ball may have been on the fritz...
His crystal ball gets extremely cloudy when it comes to any kind of receiver and magically clears for linebackers and DT's.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got your trump card (excuse the [non]political reference), his name is Gronk. Yes BB drafted a few late first rounders with injury histories but hit the motherload by drafting Gronk with an injury history. When drafting the others he just didn't have choices to draft that were so valuable it wasn't worth the "high risk high reward" scenarios he chose. Sure there were other players that panned out drafted after the flubs, but I'd guess BB's crystal ball may have been on the fritz...
On the flip side...how many games has Gronk missed due to injury?
Gronk is a Often Injured/Always Great mix that is extremely rare.