• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Warning: HOT TAKE thread...where Simmons gonna go?

Where does Simmons play at the start of next season?

• Sixers

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Lakers

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Pelicans

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Thunder

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Warriors

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Other team

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • I have no idea where but it won't be Sixers

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simmons is going to be traded. The only real question is whether it happens this offseason, or whether they try to rehabilitate him some next season before dealing him to increase his value. But he has shown beyond any doubt now that he is too mentally weak to rely on. Maybe a change of scenery will help in that regard, but he's just not made for Philly.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to LOL at the major overreactions here.

3 weeks ago, Ben Simmons was an all star on the best team in the Eastern Conference.

Now people legitimately think he is hot garbage.

If the 6ers do indeed cave and sell him for pennies on the dollar, they might as well blow the whole thing up and sell Embiid too because they are done as contenders.

If Philly does indeed trade him, it should be after he has a chance to restore his value a bit or if the market views Simmons as if the past 3 weeks didn’t happen.

The 6ers might not be able to win with Simmons as their 2nd best player, but they definitely can’t win if they give him away for chump change this off season.

Don’t sell low.

You fail to consider the possibility that, after getting swept in the first round last year and losing in the second this year despite having the #1 seed...the Sixers were never real contenders with a trio of Embiid--Simmons--Harris. They were paper tigers who crumbled the minute anyone punched them in the mouth.

Simmons is a fake all star who cannot be a starting player on a championship caliber basketball team. Period. If they keep him, it will be to run the backup unit.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You fail to consider the possibility that, after getting swept in the first round last year and losing in the second this year despite having the #1 seed...the Sixers were never real contenders with a trio of Embiid--Simmons--Harris. They were paper tigers who crumbled the minute anyone punched them in the mouth.

Simmons is a fake all star who cannot be a starting player on a championship caliber basketball team. Period. If they keep him, it will be to run the backup unit.

He can absolutely be a starting player. He just can't be your second best player.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have full confidence the Wolves can fix Simmons shot based on the long history of jump shooters they have had. Look at Rubio he was all the way up to 30% this year. Sure he was league average when he was on other teams, that was probably just an outlier though. Nothing to see here.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with Ben isn't his outside shooting. It's his freethrow shooting. The freethrow shooting is probably going to be the biggest hindrance to any long term success for him. If you cannot shoot from the outside, that's one thing. Plenty of successful players in the NBA are not great outside shooters. But they can score in other ways and be aggressive. If you are afraid to shoot from the freethrow line, it negates your willingness to try to score in other facets, like attacking the rim.

I've seen it first hand with a guy like Andris Biedrins. He was really coming into his own as a player and had some of the best hands I've ever seen for a big. He was a great rim runner and athletic. But once his freethrow shooting started to dip into historically bad territory, his confidence got shot. He was never the same after that. He didn't even want to touch the ball for fear of getting fouled. He'd pass up easy looks at the rim when he would easily attempt them prior again for fear of having to shoot freethrows.

Until Ben can solve this aspect of his game, he will not be the same type of player we envisioned him being.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,086.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you not see the first part where I said if they decide to blow it up and Dame forces his way out? Simmons + some picks would be a pretty good return
Those picks wouldn't be very valuable with Dame and Embiid on the same team.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,086.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the Rockets offer Wall for Simmons.....

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My call is to the Pelicans for Ingram. Could also see a player like DeAaron Fox or Wiggins.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not? The guy is constantly a failure in the playoffs. Embiid must be sick to his stomach. He's out here improving every year while Simmons look exactly how he did in his first year except now he can't shoot free throws at all

The PG experiment needs to be over. You can't have guard that refuses to shoot jumpers in the modern NBA. He needs to be in a Draymond type role in the front court. They can do that in house and make Maxey the starting point, or they can move him for a better fit. Unfortunately, after a series like that it's poor timing to get good value.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From public perception, it just doesn't look like Simmons likes basketball. As you mentioned, Embiid is at minimum, a top 10 NBA player and has improved every year. When he loses, you can tell that shit hurts to him. Simmons on the other hand, has been in the league for a few years and there's no noteable area of improvement, unless he just simply peaked in college; which is highly doubtful.

He wasn't even that great in college. He didn't lead LSU anywhere.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My call is to the Pelicans for Ingram. Could also see a player like DeAaron Fox or Wiggins.

Why would any of those teams consider those moves?

Blazers make the most sense to me, and maybe it's for CJ instead of Dame.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't even that great in college. He didn't lead LSU anywhere.

This is also true. I was banking off that during his college season, he was the consensus predicted #1 draft pick. That should've been an obvious sign that he wasn't that great of a player if he couldn't lead LSU anywhere, especially in a conference where at the time it was just UF and Kentucky as basketball schools.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to LOL at the major overreactions here.

3 weeks ago, Ben Simmons was an all star on the best team in the Eastern Conference.

Now people legitimately think he is hot garbage.

If the 6ers do indeed cave and sell him for pennies on the dollar, they might as well blow the whole thing up and sell Embiid too because they are done as contenders.

If Philly does indeed trade him, it should be after he has a chance to restore his value a bit or if the market views Simmons as if the past 3 weeks didn’t happen.

The 6ers might not be able to win with Simmons as their 2nd best player, but they definitely can’t win if they give him away for chump change this off season.

Don’t sell low.
agree completely. sure, they cannot win with him as 2nd best player but idea they cannot win with him at all is absurd. I'd have put my money on Philly had they held onto Butler.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with Ben isn't his outside shooting. It's his freethrow shooting. The freethrow shooting is probably going to be the biggest hindrance to any long term success for him. If you cannot shoot from the outside, that's one thing. Plenty of successful players in the NBA are not great outside shooters. But they can score in other ways and be aggressive. If you are afraid to shoot from the freethrow line, it negates your willingness to try to score in other facets, like attacking the rim.

I've seen it first hand with a guy like Andris Biedrins. He was really coming into his own as a player and had some of the best hands I've ever seen for a big. He was a great rim runner and athletic. But once his freethrow shooting started to dip into historically bad territory, his confidence got shot. He was never the same after that. He didn't even want to touch the ball for fear of getting fouled. He'd pass up easy looks at the rim when he would easily attempt them prior again for fear of having to shoot freethrows.

Until Ben can solve this aspect of his game, he will not be the same type of player we envisioned him being.

The problem with Ben now is confidence. He clearly has none. His inability to make FTs shattered his confidence, to the point where he wasn't even slamming dunks point blank at the rim and passing instead.

I agree that if he could make 70% of his FTs he would be a serviceable NBA player given all his other attributes, without developing a jump shot. But he'll never be a great player if he can't make FTs, he won't even be playable in the playoffs.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still in a pretty dark place but I would be surprised if Simmons is a Sixer next year. Not because he played so poorly for the past series but because the team needs to be restructured and, IMO, NBA GMs will still Simmons as a 24 year old multiple all-star All-NBA level player.

Morey is one of the most aggressive GMs in the game and I think he will move him. Which sucks but ultimately, it seems to me that Simmons will just not improve his game with the Sixers. Maybe being pushed out will force him to accept that he needs to learn things like shooting free throws.