• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Want to be rated with bullshit's and dislike's

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah....The thread headed into another direction....like they often do.

I see you're back to flying Baylor's flag.

New Coach, man...things are looking up or something

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember last years specifics for the B1G. But this year the committee believes tOSU has the best body of work even considering PSU's unlikely run.

The difference in schedules is night and day. Last year we didn't face a ranked team until MSU and we lost to them. The week after, we beat Michigan(also ranked) but it was too little too late. This year, we have a MUCH better resume.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference in schedules is night and day. Last year we didn't face a ranked team until MSU and we lost to them. The week after, we beat Michigan(also ranked) but it was too little too late. This year, we have a MUCH better resume.
Was probably the most impressive win by OSU over Michigan in a long time too. I actually applauded them for that bounce back after the MSU game.

Granted Michigan was banged up pretty bad.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was probably the most impressive win by OSU over Michigan in a long time too. I actually applauded them for that bounce back after the MSU game.

Granted Michigan was banged up pretty bad.

It was a shock to see them play that well, but it was also one of those "where's this been all season" sort of things. Finally got it together, but it was too late :tsk:

Kelsen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,083.52
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it was similar. The biggest difference was that is happened in BCS days.

It was somewhat similar. but the biggest difference was that Alabama wasn't in the game instead of the team that beat them head-to-head and won Alabama's conference. That was never a question. OK State had it locked up after the Alabama loss to LSU. Then they lost to Iowa State. That left both teams with 1 overtime loss. Bama's was to the clear #1 team in the land. That led them to be selected, although by the end of the season, Oklahoma State had played in one more game.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was somewhat similar. but the biggest difference was that Alabama wasn't in the game instead of the team that beat them head-to-head and won Alabama's conference. That was never a question. OK State had it locked up after the Alabama loss to LSU. Then they lost to Iowa State. That left both teams with 1 overtime loss. Bama's was to the clear #1 team in the land. That led them to be selected, although by the end of the season, Oklahoma State had played in one more game.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

We can analyze this eight ways to Sunday, but the bottom line is.. If you're ok with Bama getting in over OKst back then, you should have no problem letting OSU in over PSU now.

Kelsen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,083.52
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can analyze this eight ways to Sunday, but the bottom line is.. If you're ok with Bama getting in over OKst back then, you should have no problem letting OSU in over PSU now.

To reiterate, here's why you're wrong: the biggest difference was that Alabama wasn't in the game instead of the team that beat them head-to-head and won Alabama's conference. That was never a question.

And it shouldn't have been this time. I said long before the selection that I had no problem with Ohio State getting in over other conference champions, but they shouldn't have gotten in over the champion of their own conference, a team which also beat them head-to-head.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"The darkest hour in any man's life is when he sits down to plan how to get money without earning it." -- Horace Greeley

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To reiterate, here's why you're wrong: the biggest difference was that Alabama wasn't in the game instead of the team that beat them head-to-head and won Alabama's conference. That was never a question.

And it shouldn't have been this time. I said long before the selection that I had no problem with Ohio State getting in over other conference champions, but they shouldn't have gotten in over the champion of their own conference, a team which also beat them head-to-head.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"The darkest hour in any man's life is when he sits down to plan how to get money without earning it." -- Horace Greeley

This is absolutely splitting hairs... and it all means the same thing. LSU had already beaten Bama which meant that head-to-head match-ups didn't mean anything. It also meant that being conf champ didn't mean anything either. If they did, LSU wouldn't have had to turn right around and give Bama a re-match.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the first time a team who didn't play for their conference championship got to play in the playoff/championship game instead of the team that did. Try to keep up.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
My dumb brother says life is all about compassion, wisdom and love for our fellow man. What an idiot! Life is about peace and understanding and building a world full of friendship for all mankind. Dumbass.
2001 Big 12 Championship game: #9 Colorado vs #3 Texas.

National Championship game that year:

#2 Nebraska (who wasn't the Big 12 champ and did not play in the championship game) vs #1 Miami (FL).

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the first time a team who didn't play for their conference championship got to play in the playoff/championship game instead of the team that did. Try to keep up.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
My dumb brother says life is all about compassion, wisdom and love for our fellow man. What an idiot! Life is about peace and understanding and building a world full of friendship for all mankind. Dumbass.
That is 100% incorrect.

Kelsen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,083.52
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is absolutely splitting hairs... and it all means the same thing. LSU had already beaten Bama which meant that head-to-head match-ups didn't mean anything. It also meant that being conf champ didn't mean anything either. If they did, LSU wouldn't have had to turn right around and give Bama a re-match.

In 2011, undefeated LSU beat undefeated Bama, then went on to win their mutual conference title. That meant something. It meant LSU was in the championship game. You're probably too young to know, but the controversy that year was not about which SEC team would be in the championship game. The controversy was over who would be LSU's opponent.

That's not splitting hairs.

THAT'S DIFFERENT, because In 2016, 2-loss Penn State beat undefeated Ohio State, then went on to win their mutual conference title. That didn't mean that Penn State was in the playoff.

Oklahoma State was a shoe-in. Then they lost in overtime to Iowa State. It became a controversy. The two teams, Alabama and Oklahoma State, each had one overtime loss. In the end, the voters decided that Alabama's loss to the number one team was less egregious than Oklahoma's loss to 6-5 Iowa State.

Many people disagreed with that. That's perfectly valid. But it's not the same thing as what happened this year. What happened this year is, as cwerph reminded me, fairly similar to what happened in 2001.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"SATAN, SATAN! It's the main megafurnace! She's losin' power and the temperature is dropping fast! I'm not sure if I can hold her!" -- Scotty in Hell

Kelsen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,083.52
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is 100% incorrect.

You are right. I had forgotten about that.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it doesn't go away." -- Philip K. Dick

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2011, undefeated LSU beat undefeated Bama, then went on to win their mutual conference title. That meant something. It meant LSU was in the championship game. You're probably too young to know, but the controversy that year was not about which SEC team would be in the championship game. The controversy was over who would be LSU's opponent.

That's not splitting hairs.

THAT'S DIFFERENT, because In 2016, 2-loss Penn State beat undefeated Ohio State, then went on to win their mutual conference title. That didn't mean that Penn State was in the playoff.

Oklahoma State was a shoe-in. Then they lost in overtime to Iowa State. It became a controversy. The two teams, Alabama and Oklahoma State, each had one overtime loss. In the end, the voters decided that Alabama's loss to the number one team was less egregious than Oklahoma's loss to 6-5 Iowa State.

Many people disagreed with that. That's perfectly valid. But it's not the same thing as what happened this year. What happened this year is, as cwerph reminded me, fairly similar to what happened in 2001.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"SATAN, SATAN! It's the main megafurnace! She's losin' power and the temperature is dropping fast! I'm not sure if I can hold her!" -- Scotty in Hell

Too young to know?!! That was in 2011 LOL!!! I'd have to be 8 years old not to remember that.

I remember it well and yes, the controversy was putting Bama in the NC game over OKst. The difference to us back then was that we wanted to see the SEC champ face the Big12 champ and instead we had to watch a re-match of Bama/LSU. If roles were reversed and Oklahoma won the Big12, how much do you wanna bet they face LSU? Anyways, we're getting hung up on trying to compare the situations too closely. Where I'm saying they're similar is that there was great controversy and winning your conf wasn't really a factor in the decision.

Kelsen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,083.52
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too young to know?!! That was in 2011 LOL!!! I'd have to be 8 years old not to remember that.

I remember it well and yes, the controversy was putting Bama in the NC game over OKst. The difference to us back then was that we wanted to see the SEC champ face the Big12 champ and instead we had to watch a re-match of Bama/LSU. If roles were reversed and Oklahoma won the Big12, how much do you wanna bet they face LSU? Anyways, we're getting hung up on trying to compare the situations too closely. Where I'm saying they're similar is that there was great controversy and winning your conf wasn't really a factor in the decision.

Well, I certainly agree that there was great controversy. And there is some similarity in that OK State won its conference but didn't get in.

I said well before the selections were made that Ohio State should get in, but not if their own conference champion, who beat them, didn't. Apparently, the committee felt that a 1-game difference in overall record was enough to make them not be 'similar', although the guidance said 'similar' rather than 'identical'.

I am glad Ohio State is in. I hope that Alabama spanks that ass in return for beating them two years ago.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
I am known all over the world for my tendency to exaggerate...