• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Walsh, ESPN #2 Coach

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a lame publicity stunt this whole thing was by ESPN. Made up this whole bullshit list, and then timed it to release Vince Lombardi as the #1 coach on his 100th birthday.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a lame publicity stunt this whole thing was by ESPN. Made up this whole bullshit list, and then timed it to release Vince Lombardi as the #1 coach on his 100th birthday.

Why is the list bullshit? Lombardi is considered by most people to be the best NFL coach so nice tribute.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
walsh changed the nfl. did lambardi?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lombardi built the NFL.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is the list bullshit? Lombardi is considered by most people to be the best NFL coach so nice tribute.

I don't care that Lombardi is #1, that is how it has been my entire life and I don't see it ever changing. I'm talking about putting guys like Shannahan and Coughlin on the list. Dungy probably doesn't deserve to be there either.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanahan shouldn't even have a job right now. He should have been firing for trying to ruin RG3.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care that Lombardi is #1, that is how it has been my entire life and I don't see it ever changing. I'm talking about putting guys like Shannahan and Coughlin on the list. Dungy probably doesn't deserve to be there either.

I can see your point but those guys won multiple Super Bowls. The only guy that has multiple SB's not on the list is Seifert and he definitely doesn't belong.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twenty is a lot; you're bound to get some iffy calls in there. Maybe Stram should be higher - his period of influence was brief, but it was a pretty heavy influence.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see your point but those guys won multiple Super Bowls. The only guy that has multiple SB's not on the list is Seifert and he definitely doesn't belong.

Oops Tom Flores also has 2. He don't belong neither.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It isn't all about winning Super Bowls though, Levy and Grant both lost 4. Not like it is their fault that they ran into dynasties. Doesn't change that they are 2 of the top coaches, and they deserve to be there.

Holmgren should certainly be there, he was easily the most successful disciple of Walsh. He went to both Green Bay and Seattle, installed Walsh's organizational structure with his own personal tweaks (which were only in the playbook, not the front office plan) and turned both of those cellar dwellars around. Both of those teams are still using the foundation that Holmgren laid down for success today.

If anyone's argument is that Holmgren is just an extension of Walsh. Then the exact same thing can be said of Billicheck and Coughlin in regards to Parcells. I have a real problem with Coughlin being there, because I think he is just getting glorified by the East Coast Bias because he coached the teams that beat the Patriots twice. Just because you stopped Brady and Billicheck from getting to 5, it shouldn't turn you into a hero and a "great coach".

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i still think walsh is #1 by a long shot. the coaching tree from walsh is just amazing.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i still think walsh is #1 by a long shot. the coaching tree from walsh is just amazing.

I agree, Walsh's impact on the game is decidedly larger than Lombardi's... and that coaching tree is evidence of that fact.

But, America and humanity in general has a sickness where they elevate celebrities to a Legendary status if they die "young" and unexpectedly while on top of the world like Lombardi did. So, even when someone like Walsh completely changes the league from a run first to a pass first NFL. That pales in comparison to the legend created by an early death.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone's argument is that Holmgren is just an extension of Walsh. Then the exact same thing can be said of Billicheck and Coughlin in regards to Parcells. I have a real problem with Coughlin being there, because I think he is just getting glorified by the East Coast Bias because he coached the teams that beat the Patriots twice. Just because you stopped Brady and Billicheck from getting to 5, it shouldn't turn you into a hero and a "great coach".

I think they also consider the fact he made an expansion team relevant right out the gate. Going 11-5 with a bunch of players other teams didnt want, is impressive IMO. I think he is very good but great is debatable.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't all about winning Super Bowls though, Levy and Grant both lost 4. Not like it is their fault that they ran into dynasties. Doesn't change that they are 2 of the top coaches, and they deserve to be there.

Holmgren should certainly be there, he was easily the most successful disciple of Walsh. He went to both Green Bay and Seattle, installed Walsh's organizational structure with his own personal tweaks (which were only in the playbook, not the front office plan) and turned both of those cellar dwellars around. Both of those teams are still using the foundation that Holmgren laid down for success today.

I would definitely take Holmgren over Shanahan/Dungy(though I like Dungy) but I don't have a problem with Coughlin at all. Had a 68 - 60 record and 4 playoff appearances for an expansion team. Pretty damn good. His only losing season with NY is his first year while winning 2 SB's. Seems like a top 20 NFL coach to me.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, Walsh's impact on the game is decidedly larger than Lombardi's... and that coaching tree is evidence of that fact.

But, America and humanity in general has a sickness where they elevate celebrities to a Legendary status if they die "young" and unexpectedly while on top of the world like Lombardi did. So, even when someone like Walsh completely changes the league from a run first to a pass first NFL. That pales in comparison to the legend created by an early death.

This is all awful. Way to make it sound like Lombardi didn't do anything in or for the NFL.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lombardi was better than Walsh IMO. Dying is irrelevant.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Lombardi was better than Walsh or the other way around. I would call them 1A and 1B. They came from different times and did different things for the league, but each was as impactfull. The guy who came first is usually gonna get the nod. If they were reversed it might be called the Walsh Trophy and he would have been #1. However... I hate the Packers so fuck Lombardi.