• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Waivers

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind Coco Crisp, but he may not get to us. I wouldn't even mind signing him for a 1 year contract next year as a stop gap. If the price were right of course.

the_broom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes, but that's been a sunk cost for a while. At least partially, say 8 to 10 million per. Now were just assuming it's a total loss, and looking at the cost of fielding 5 starters assuming the owners have already taken the Zito Equity hit.

The money blows...and it really hurts the team trying to bring in some offense. But I'm also wondering how Zito's long contract will impact negotiations for Timmy and Cain when the time comes?

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The money blows...and it really hurts the team trying to bring in some offense. But I'm also wondering how Zito's long contract will impact negotiations for Timmy and Cain when the time comes?

I don't see us locking up both of them.

Cain is looking at 5y/80 at the very least, and Tim is easily looking at 7y/9 figures.

That's going to be more than 1/4th of the payroll, and that's a lot of money to have locked up in guys that only play 30 or so games a year. I honestly see us trading one of them for stud prospects in an attempt to get cheaper.

Not what I want to see happen, but it makes sense form a business standpoint, and a baseball one. If we swap their two deals out with Rowand and Zitos, we still have the same problem; Not enough money to sign decent free agents.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

It won't. Cain is already signed for next year at $15 mil. Timmeh is making $13 mil and will likely get about $16 or $17 mil. That extra money will come immediately from not re-signing Mark Facking DuhRosa again.

Plus, SF cannot offer arbitration to Beltran and will likely not enter any kind of bidding war for his services - especially after he has proven to be (as Ralphie's Old Man would say) "fra-gee-lee."

Rowand's albatross will be off the books after next season, so the Giants are going to have plenty of cash to pay Timmeh and Cainer long-term.

There are other ways the Giants could help pay for those two guys, but they likely will not need to get too creative to pay for either.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Re: Zito's contract.

Sabean stated earlier this year that the Zito contract does not prevent them from doing anything. Clearly, if we believe Sabean, the Giants treat the contract as sunk, and it's also clear they're not up against any kind of budget constraint because of it.

I'm guessing MaGowan took the hit to equity on this one.

the_broom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good to hear that money will likely not be a detriment to resigning Cain and Lincecum the next couple years, but what about the "long term committment fear" that the Zito/Rowand contracts might instill in managment?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Good to hear that money will likely not be a detriment to resigning Cain and Lincecum the next couple years, but what about the "long term committment fear" that the Zito/Rowand contracts might instill in managment?

I'm sure they're as rational as any of us, but if Zito/Rowand caused an upwards adjustment to any and all risk assessments, I think that's wise.