• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Waivers

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, if AZ wins tonight, can Sabean call up a team he wants to deal with (Cinci for Hernandez? Oakland for Coco?) and tell them to put a guy on waivers so that we can't be blocked by AZ?

If we claim them, then it doesn't matter what happens tomorrow, right?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So, if AZ wins tonight, can Sabean call up a team he wants to deal with (Cinci for Hernandez? Oakland for Coco?) and tell them to put a guy on waivers so that we can't be blocked by AZ?

If we claim them, then it doesn't matter what happens tomorrow, right?

I don't know if they can collude like that. Sabean mentioned that a lot of players already passed through waivers. Some who a team like AZ could use, or block SF from getting. Yet they passed on the pick up or block. Sounds like there were a few other "names" who had yet be put through that Sabean was interested in. He was asked specifically about catchers, and he acted as if that wasn't the position he was talking about.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes please! I'd LOVE to have Wandy here. Guy is legit.

Last edited by a moderator:

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude is making WAY too much money. I like him as a pitcher, but grabbing him knowing that the G-men would owe him $37 mil over the next 3 years is just too steep a price to pay for a #5 guy.

I kind of agree and disagree with this. If the Giants are looking to trade Sanchez in the offseason, then the Wandy price hit will be a lot more friendly. Add into that the $6mil being wasted by DeRosa and I think it would be a wise investment for the Giants. Then again, I've been very wrong before.

:D

he would also be our #4 next year (and possibly this year) if Sanchez continues to fail/is gone in the offseason.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Dude is making WAY too much money. I like him as a pitcher, but grabbing him knowing that the G-men would owe him $37 mil over the next 3 years is just too steep a price to pay for a #5 guy.

Yeah, it's a lot to choke down.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Henry Sosa report: Fastball/Slider 90-95 on the four-seamer. Looks like it's got a tail on it though. Walks are a problem. All in all though, from pitch f/x data, a very legit ML arm. Needs a third pitch.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I kind of agree and disagree with this. If the Giants are looking to trade Sanchez in the offseason, then the Wandy price hit will be a lot more friendly. Add into that the $6mil being wasted by DeRosa and I think it would be a wise investment for the Giants. Then again, I've been very wrong before.

he would also be our #4 next year (and possibly this year) if Sanchez continues to fail/is gone in the offseason.

#4?

Lincecum
Cain
Vogelsong
Bumgarner
Rodriguez

Kinda looks like a #5 to me. Of course I am operating under the assumption that VogelSTRONG is not a 1-year wonder.

That being said, It's not next year's salary that bothers me. It's the $13 mil in 2013 and the player option for $13 mil in 2014 that scare me. Spending that much $$$ on a guy who will never be one of the top 3 pitchers in the rotation (nor does he deserve to be) is why I don't really want him. It's kinda like paying a guy $60 million to be a power-hitting OF when all of his peripheral stats show that he is a product of his home ballpark and outside of that bandbox, he really has no power or potential. (It's a good thing the Giants would never do something like that).

Wandy is likely going to be one of the best #4 or #5 starters on the market if he passes through waivers, but only for teams like the Spanks or the Red Sux who can afford him or the Injuns who may still need him.

If you took his salary away, I would love to have Wandy in SF. But you cannot take his salary away and his salary is the only reason the Ass-tros are likely going to try to get rid of him in August.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

We could assume Zito is done too. So Sanchez is sold low, and you got a rotation in 2012 of Lincecum, Cain, Madbum, Vogelsong, and Rogriquez.

Anyone want to attach some dollars to that rotation in 2012?

Lincecum: 14M
Cain: 10M
Vogelsong: 1M
Madbum: 450K
Rodqiquez: 10M

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
#4?

Lincecum
Cain
Vogelsong
Bumgarner
Rodriguez

Kinda looks like a #5 to me. Of course I am operating under the assumption that VogelSTRONG is not a 1-year wonder.

That being said, It's not next year's salary that bothers me. It's the $13 mil in 2013 and the player option for $13 mil in 2014 that scare me. Spending that much $$$ on a guy who will never be one of the top 3 pitchers in the rotation (nor does he deserve to be) is why I don't really want him. It's kinda like paying a guy $60 million to be a power-hitting OF when all of his peripheral stats show that he is a product of his home ballpark and outside of that bandbox, he really has no power or potential. (It's a good thing the Giants would never do something like that).

Wandy is likely going to be one of the best #4 or #5 starters on the market if he passes through waivers, but only for teams like the Spanks or the Red Sux who can afford him or the Injuns who may still need him.

If you took his salary away, I would love to have Wandy in SF. But you cannot take his salary away and his salary is the only reason the Ass-tros are likely going to try to get rid of him in August.

That's a choking point.

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Agree completely. Surkamp is going to be ready to come up long before that contract is up, so I'd much rather roll the dice on a guy making the league minimum.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

He's expensive no doubt, but if the FO can make it work then i'm all for it.

He's a solid 4/5 and would be great insurance in case Vogelsong is a 1 hit wonder.

Hopefully we can pick up a catcher or lead off guy. If not.... then this is how I'm going to feel for the rest of the year:frusty:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Cody Ros....,er, I mean Jason Bay cleared waivers.

the_broom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We could assume Zito is done too. So Sanchez is sold low, and you got a rotation in 2012 of Lincecum, Cain, Madbum, Vogelsong, and Rogriquez.

Anyone want to attach some dollars to that rotation in 2012?

Lincecum: 14M
Cain: 10M
Vogelsong: 1M
Madbum: 450K
Rodqiquez: 10M

Unfortunately, Zito still gets paid unless he decides to retire.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Unfortunately, Zito still gets paid unless he decides to retire.

Yes, but that's been a sunk cost for a while. At least partially, say 8 to 10 million per. Now were just assuming it's a total loss, and looking at the cost of fielding 5 starters assuming the owners have already taken the Zito Equity hit.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
CoCo Crisp put on waivers.

The whole AL would have to pass on him before we got a shot.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CoCo Crisp put on waivers.

The whole AL would have to pass on him before we got a shot.

They probably will, I can't think of any AL contenders that need a decent to so-so CF, except maybe the White Sox who are barely contenders and are already saddled with a terrible waiver pickup in Alex Rios.

I think we'll get a shot at him, but how much will we give up? Or will Sabean correctly pass on a too high asking price?