• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Waive Burks.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before this thread (16G): 61/162 (37.3%), 70.7 FT%, 10.4 PPG, 2.4 APG, 2.4 RPG, 1.1 SPG
After this thread (57G): 296/620 (47.7%), 75.6 FT%, 15.1 PPG, 2.8 APG, 3.6 RPG, 0.9 SPG

Includes the GS 4/06 game.

Nuraman, you ruined his SPG by 22.2%!
I do math like this: 0.2 difference / 1.1 steals = 18.1% decline.

What were his FTM per game, in both splits?

This is another one of your cherry popping, I mean eye popping, splits.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Made possible by you. I never would have done it at that point if not for you saying to waive him at that point. Buy low, sell high? ;)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2.6/3.6 (70.7%) versus 4.1/5.4 (75.6%). Again, INCLUDING the GS game. (So the link will say differently as it was not updated when I posted it.)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is better. I like how you rounded it to one decimal incorrectly. I would have said 18.2. Silly me. ;) I would have said 18.18181818181818181818181818% and felt ashamed for being incomplete.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember in a preseason game for Atlanta, Marvin had well over 10 FTM. It was a very high amount. I'm going to try and find which game it was, sometime.

Because someone then went to the Atlanta board, and wondered if Marvin was Michael Jordan.

Once I find that game, I then want to compare it with his career high FTM per game (regular season/playoffs), and then Jazz high.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember in a preseason game for Atlanta, Marvin had well over 10 FTM. It was a very high amount. I'm going to try and find which game it was, sometime.

Because someone then went to the Atlanta board, and wondered if Marvin was Michael Jordan.

Once I find that game, I then want to compare it with his career high FTM per game (regular season/playoffs), and then Jazz high.

It's funny that you mentioned Michael Jordan in the same sentence as Marvin Williams. In the 2005 NBA draft, I was rooting for Bogut to be picked because he's from Utah. I was worried that Williams was going to be picked instead. Some scout, who is probably out of the business now, likened him to Jordan. I looked at the stats and thought, "I know about potential, but he didn't do anything in college!" I was obviously biased against him and I am happy he's now a Jazz man. I like his role here. If anyone expected him to be much more, they would've had to have the caveat of the system for him. Even then, throwing around Jordan's name is ridiculous. To be fair, I don't think the scout was really saying he was going to be like Jordan. I think what he was saying is that one part of his game was like Jordan's. Or that the numbers could be deceiving, but he had potential. Still, with my hoping for Bogut, I did not like him. Then the rookie year, I had to compare them. And when I did, and Bogut was winning (IMO), all I heard was potential, again.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marvin didn't do much in college because he came off the bench. His college team was talented.

But the rationale for drafting him was that he was better than the starters on his team (or his game would translate more at the NBA level), it's just that the coach couldn't find enough playing time, and that Marvin was younger and the coached wanted to play the upper classmen.

I respect trying to draft a guy that scouts thought was secretly good. It's kind of like Eric Bledsoe. He was getting limited minutes on the Clippers bench, but many thought he might have starter potential. And this year, he's shown it, he is a starter.

Similarly, I remember looking at Suns box scores in 1996 and 1997, and Steve Nash's always looked amazing. He was the 3rd string PG behind Kidd and Cassell/Kevin Johnson. I thought he should have been given more minutes on another team, to show what he could do. It took about 3 years though for him to be a consistent player, and healthy player, even after the Dallas trade.

Atlanta should have gotten one of the proven PGs, Paul or Williams. And Portland shouldn't have traded down from the # 3 to the # 6, they should have drafted one of the PGs too. And ending up with Martell Webster, wasn't good. Neither of Sebestain Telfair, and Martell Webster, were still on Portland 5 years later. They weren't starting caliber players.

So Portland, Atlanta all missed out on starting caliber players, and didn't even get quality rotation players. Webster is ok as an 8th-9th man, but not much more.

So I respect Atlanta for trying to get a "Bledsoe" type underused talent, but it's unfortunate that it misfired.

Chauncey Billups was another good underused player. In 2002, Terrell Brandon was hurt, and Billups stepped in as the starting PG for Minnesota. He played well, especially in the 3 game sweep loss in the 2002 playoffs. But Billups was then a FA. Minnesota didn't want to commit to him, because when healthy, Terrell Brandon was better. So they let Detroit sign him. Brandon barely played for Minnesota after the 2002 offseason, he couldn't stay healthy. Both Cleveland and Minnesota had tried to build with Brandon, but he kept having longterm injuries. Minnesota, in just one of their many GM mistakes, chose the wrong PG, and chose the unhealthier one. I agree that Brandon was better, it would still take about 2 years for Billups to be as good as Brandon, and they were different type of PGs. Billups best qualities were his super low turnover rate, and his defense, and free throw shooting. But the way the Detroit offense worked, was that Hamilton and Prince could create shots too, and Rasheed would also isolate in the post. While Brandon was more of a drive and kick guy, from what I remember.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the 76ers do seem willing to move up, they are not alone. There has been talk that the Utah Jazz would like to move into the top three and may be willing to give up some of the assets the acquired from Golden State last year for a shot at Parker.

There was also talk that guard Alec Burks could be had if it netted the Jazz Parker.

NBA Draft Rumors: Utah Jazz Trying To Trade Up?

There's more about Burks and a poll.