• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Waive Burks.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he'll ever get it.

(I'll post my thoughts on yesterday's game, either tonight or tomorrow).

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking forward to your thoughts on the core 4

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, sorry I couldn't get to the Bulls game recap earlier.

* I liked Burke's speed, and he had a few nice moments. He's not polished with his ability to run a team, or make decisions though. It's going to take a while.

Speed kills, for guards, though, so as long as he can harness it and break down the defense, and learn to make consistent decisions, he can be decent. The first part of that is being quick and having a little bit of a clue, which is where he is.

* Favors defense was solid.

Boozer killed it whenever anyone else was on it, but Favors could at least provide some resistance.

* Marvin looked like a legitimate starter today, he looked like someone the other team actually had to worry about. Plus he was everywhere, getting rebounds.

* Chicago guards looked terrible. Some of the game was about how bad Chicago's guard play was.

* Normally I like it when bigs or someone like Hayward gets assists, but in this game, actually, I feel like if it weren't for Hayward's playmaking, there wouldn't have been much positive to say at all. I like SFs or PFs or C's making plays for others, because I think their assists are the most helpful for an offense, because their assists generate shots in the paint, or 3-pointers, while PG or SG assists are more likely to generate long jumpers, which aren't as good shots. But I feel that Hayward needs to have games where he's doing several things well, not just one. And this felt like a game where Hayward was only doing one thing well. He could have had 12 rebounds instead of 12 assists, and I would have thought the same thing, that he's not contributing in enough ways.

All players aren't created equal, and whether fair or not, Hayward is expected to be able to do more consistently.

* So, there were some decent things from this game, but a part of it was how bad Chicago was too. It's not like the Jazz beat a great, healthy team.

* And I thought we agreed a Core 4 didn't exist, lol. They can never be called a Core 4, as they never will be one. At best, Hayward/Burke/Favors can form a core, but asking all of them to really become multifaceted players who are consistent is asking a lot. One or more of them will disappoint, that's just the way the league works. Most players don't reach all-star caliber play, which is what a few of those 3 guys need to be.

They're a rotten core until they prove otherwise.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking forward to this game today, will try to watch whatever I can late tonight, no matter when I get home. Hopefully it's decent.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burks had a pretty decent game against Houston. That one dunk and one was pretty nice. And, he actually hit at least one open 3 that I remember. I just hope he isn't Ronnie Brewer II. As much as I liked Ronnie, I still remember the Lakers in the post season just leaving him flat out open.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, Burks ... first 15 games, looked like a D-League sub last half dozen or more, super freak of bendy athleticism. He is hitting open 3's too. So what is the common denomenator here? Trey? Coaching?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't had time to watch since last week's Denver game.

Maybe the easier schedule? Seems like opponents have been either good or really bad. I know he had some nice games against good teams too.

Maybe the games against bad teams gave him confidence for the good teams too?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Memo to Burks: if you have the ball with one or two seconds left in a quarter, you shoot it. I don't care for your stats or the likelihood of making it. Didn't you see Al Jefferson make a half court shot at the buzzer three games ago. Did you not see your opponent make another three the next game at the buzzer? You realize that we were down by two with four seconds left of the game - that half court shot could have been the difference. Shoot it!

And Richard Jefferson, why bother shooting a three at the final buzzer when down by four if you are not going to even try to get it off in time?

Last edited by a moderator:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Memo to Burks: if you have the ball with one or two seconds left in a quarter, you shoot it. I don't care for your stats or the likelihood of making it. Didn't you see Al Jefferson make a half court shot at the buzzer three games ago. Did you not see your opponent make another three the next game at the buzzer? You realize that we were down by two with four seconds left of the game - that half court shot could have been the difference. Shoot it!

And Richard Jefferson, why bother shooting a three at the final buzzer when down by four if you are not going to even try to get it off in time?

He tried to get it off in time, the shot clock was just too fast for him.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He tried to get it off in time, the shot clock was just too fast for him.

Suuuure. ;) he looked like he had no idea he was going to be late or wanted to be late to avoid the miss. I'm glad he didn't do that down by three... but then again, they would have defended him. I would have laughed my head off of they fouled him on a half court shot he made.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, we are about half way through the season now. Nura, have your thoughts on Burks changed at all? Last night against Toronto, he was the only thing going. I personally don't think he is a very smart individual and he seems to have tunnel vision. However, his ability to get to the rim and actually finish is pretty uncanny. Do you see him as someone to build the team around? If Hayward wants huge money, then I let him walk and start Burks next year.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, we are about half way through the season now. Nura, have your thoughts on Burks changed at all? Last night against Toronto, he was the only thing going. I personally don't think he is a very smart individual and he seems to have tunnel vision. However, his ability to get to the rim and actually finish is pretty uncanny. Do you see him as someone to build the team around? If Hayward wants huge money, then I let him walk and start Burks next year.

Burks has improved. I can consider him a NBA player now, whereas before I thought he should be out of the league.

Still, he's one-dimensional. He's easily replaceable.

If Hayward wants too much money, that doesn't mean I start Burks next year. I look for someone else completely.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahaha, thanks for keeping it real Nuraman. Seems like Burks is elite in that one area and poor in all others.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad shooting day for Alec Burks last night. 0-7 FG, 0-2 3PT, 0-4 FT.

Point guards were a combined 7-28. Shooting guards were 5-14. 19-34 otherwise.

12-42 from the guards! We need to work the paint (though Burks is a layup guy typically).

Last edited by a moderator:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm more concerned about the perimeter defense than the shooting.

Sometimes it's 4 seconds after the opposing team has crossed halfcourt, and they already have a layup attempt, because the guards can't either keep the ball or the opposing player from breaking down the Jazz defense.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might watch today's game late tonight.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burks has been solid again. Against the Sixers, Tye put him in with 2 minutes to go. Hayward and Trey weren't getting anything accomplished. Alec came in and sealed the deal. It seems as though no one can stay in front of him. That is a huge advantage in crunch time, right? On a team of mediocre shooters, having someone that can come in at crunch time and get to the rim or draw the foul is huge. My opinion of him is starting to change a little.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burks has been solid again. Against the Sixers, Tye put him in with 2 minutes to go. Hayward and Trey weren't getting anything accomplished. Alec came in and sealed the deal. It seems as though no one can stay in front of him. That is a huge advantage in crunch time, right? On a team of mediocre shooters, having someone that can come in at crunch time and get to the rim or draw the foul is huge. My opinion of him is starting to change a little.

I think he's a better version of C.J. Miles. Can have big games, can disappear... though he has been more consistent than before. Haven't looked at the stats to compare that to Miles, then or now.

I think the next step up is Shandon Anderson and then the next step is Bryon Russell. I do admit these last two comparisons are worse analogies than C.J. Miles.

Brewer and Wesley Matthews are where on this list? Brewer, Matthews, Anderson, Russell, Miles, Burks. Could one of you rank these guys?

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Alec gets to the rim with a ferocity and agility that the others don't compare too. Brewer could get to the rim, but Alec's body control is amazing - almost catlike. As far as basketball IQ - I would put him at the bottom of your list of players there.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before this thread (16G): 61/162 (37.3%), 70.7 FT%, 10.4 PPG, 2.4 APG, 2.4 RPG, 1.1 SPG
After this thread (57G): 296/620 (47.7%), 75.6 FT%, 15.1 PPG, 2.8 APG, 3.6 RPG, 0.9 SPG

Includes the GS 4/06 game.

Nuraman, you ruined his SPG by 22.2%!