• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Votto's tantrum

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone here see Votto's tantrum last night? The umpire was a jerk for sure. But I felt that Votto's reaction was way over the top. He may want to invest in a anger management class. If not he's going to get himself into big trouble some day.
If you didn't see it. He went crazy. And I'm sure you will see it on video somewhere. I think if they wouldn't have stopped him he would have done something physical to the umpire.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was one of the all-timers in terms of meltdowns. I guess it's good to see him care when the Reds were eliminated months ago. He didn't cross the line, or anything, though. He might get suspended for a couple games for making contact with the ump?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It served no positive purpose in that PARTICULAR setting, bases loaded and trying to beat the Parrots in a tough game for them. Lucky, Cabrera (one of about 50 Cabreras) got the single, but it was pretty lame having to send the guy up there without a hit in his career. Price lost control of this team in April.

Votto has always been a bit of a hothead and I think he's begun to believe that if he thinks a pitch isn't a strike, then it's not. Some umps believe you should hit the damned baseball if you are earning $11 million a year.

Either way, the whole team has become a joke. The Cardinals will slice and dice this week, making whatever was a pennant race even more of a farce.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually Votto was not thrown out because he was arguing a strike call. but because he was standing out of the batters box and he ask for time. pitcher wasn't ready to throw or anything. I believe it was a valid request The umpire would not give it to him. Votto turned around and told Price that he wouldn't grant the timeout and Votto got the Heave-ho. Now Votto arguing the strike call earlier. might have led to what happened. The umpire IMO was responsible, but Votto doing what he did took the attention and the argument away from the umpire.

I would like to hear the umpires explanation of why he didn't request the timeout. It looked to me like he was trying to piss Votto off. which he did.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I agree with the ump, but Votto was dicking around in response to displeasure with the umps prior calls...Which were bad...Kinda like a hitter that takes too long to touch them all after a HR pisses off the pitcher, hitters or catchers don't get patience from umpires turning to talk to them where everyone can see them, or stalling unneccessarily mumbling about calls..They can ASK for time, but umps don't have to grant it, especially to players they think are showing them up.

Im a fan of managers getting tossed in similar situations, not the best hitter on the team.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Votto has managed to apologize enough to get one game hacked off the suspension, which suggests -- for the second time this year -- that the ump isn't going to get his way entirely. Votto has this gig down, I think. He's beating the umps at their own arrogant game.