• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2014 Recruiting Target List

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shute seems to have good energy. His highlights didn't show me a whole lot.
[YOUTUBE]P-EXVI7MChk[/YOUTUBE]

Haha, wow... check out #83 do nothing and then do a LOT of talking starting at :30 of the vid.

Nothing like having a cheerleader on the field.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
These late OL offers are generally in B1G country with solid mid to high 3 star guys ... If u look closely, we're generally one of their better offers .. I think there's something to that. No point in trying to tangle with the likes of ohio state, michigan, notre dame, and most of the 3/4 of that conference...we will lose. According to a 247 article, we seem to have a pretty legit shot at billy ray (you're damn right) out of NJ..I won't share more than that as I think its vip content.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
another OL offer:
Eric Gallo

From 247:

Eric Gallo is a 6-1, 279-pound Center (FB) from Southampton, PA. As a junior he was named first team All-State by the Pennsylvania Football News as an offensive lineman, first team All-Southeastern Pennsylvania as a defensive lineman and first team All-Conference on both sides of the ball. Younger brother of tight end P.J. Gallo, who signed with Maryland in 2012.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT is the only school to offer this kid thus far?!?!? :L

He's only 6'-2"....we need bigguns.

I don't buy a whole lot into height especially on a center. I'd rather not have a 6'6" or 6'7" center. LT is tall and can see over these guys but when our QB is only 6'3" that may be an issue. If he is a little bit shorter it helps with natural leverage as well. a 6'2" 290-300lb center is fine by me

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^ This. And 1st team all-state as a junior sounds good. Rivals shows an offer from Massachusetts. I haven't seen anything on him, so it's hard to speculate why he doesn't have more offers. Not a world beater, we can probably assume :) but doesn't mean Grimes can't turn him into a good 'un. Goodness knows we need help on the OL, and even if Grimes isn't getting his first choice he at least needs guys that he chose.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as he's a mauler and enjoys knocking dude's on their asses, i say bring him in!

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm somewhat amazed when we get any OL to develop into real players. Most of the highest rated prospect we've pulled in haven't panned out and our best performers seem to come from nowhere (3, 2, 1, zero star land) or elsewhere (converted TE's like Duane Brown, DeChristopher).

I mean, who was a our last, bonafided star OL? Jake Grove? Even Brown wasn't an All-American.

Watching these tapes it's hard for me to even evaluate the great prospects, let alone the so-so guys... and I played OL (in another lifetime) and I sort of know what we should be looking for. For OL's I'm just hoping for the best and trusting the coaches. It's hard to say when the light will go on for some of these guys.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm somewhat amazed when we get any OL to develop into real players. Most of the highest rated prospect we've pulled in haven't panned out and our best performers seem to come from nowhere (3, 2, 1, zero star land) or elsewhere (converted TE's like Duane Brown, DeChristopher).

I mean, who was a our last, bonafided star OL? Jake Grove? Even Brown wasn't an All-American.

Watching these tapes it's hard for me to even evaluate the great prospects, let alone the so-so guys... and I played OL (in another lifetime) and I sort of know what we should be looking for. For OL's I'm just hoping for the best and trusting the coaches. It's hard to say when the light will go on for some of these guys.

Before Grove it was probably Eugene Chung....if only he had a son.:rollseyes:

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amen to the difficulty of OL recruiting and VT's history of struggling to develop the position. Though I will note, Brown may not have been an All-American, but he was drafted in the first round (compared to Grove in the 2nd). :)

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amen to the difficulty of OL recruiting and VT's history of struggling to develop the position. Though I will note, Brown may not have been an All-American, but he was drafted in the first round (compared to Grove in the 2nd). :)

Doesn't that mean we didn't max out Brown's potential while he was here... sort of... I guess? :/

When I wrote what I wrote about Grove I knew someone was going to bring up Brown. I was shocked he went in the 1st round, but he's had a pretty solid career thus far, getting to the Pro Bowl in 2012, 2nd team All-Pro in 2011 (whatever the fuck that is? Is that a Pro Bowl reserve team or something Bleacher Report came up with?).

All that said, even if we include Brown in this discussion, he is 5 years removed from Tech. The truly successful programs are putting bigs like Brown into the pros each and every year, on both sides of the line. If we want to get over the hump, we need to start doing that too.

Fuck if I know how to do that though, seems like we're always begging for OL's. Even in this high-momentum recruiting era we've had for awhile, where we've got 5-6 commits before the Spring Game and 80% of the class finished by the first game, we're still offering some project or marginal prospects late in the year as we've missed on our bigger targets. At least it feels that way, so correct me if I'm wrong here.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, I agree. Thankfully Newsome is gone now, and let's hope Grimes can turn things around. May take a little while to settle in, though. A lot of 2014 offers went out before he even joined the staff, and then there's the adjustment phase where along with recruiting he's got to learn about his current players and his new fellow coaches and move and... a million things. And by the time he's settled, look, most top 2014 recruits have at least narrowed their list and we were too late to the party. Hopefully 2015 goes a little better.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, come on guys. He is doing a great job over there. Hell, he is even becoming a radio star.

Kyle Bailey had him on. Mad respect to our former SportsHoopla alum!

Oh I'm not dissing on him at all. I just totally pictured him as being an older fan (like 50+). He always had that sort of maturity in his posts. Then again, I also pictured 46 as being older too so I guess I'm just bad at that.