• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2014 Recruiting Target List

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kelly jr is a Tennessee legacy, and currently lives in Knoxville. He actually goes to the same high school my girlfriend graduated from. private school. chad pennington went there as well. Kid is a beast, and has or will get offers from basically everywhere.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
kelly jr is a Tennessee legacy, and currently lives in Knoxville. He actually goes to the same high school my girlfriend graduated from. private school. chad pennington went there as well. Kid is a beast, and has or will get offers from basically everywhere.
Kelly will not be coming to VT Imo. Confirmed Kinlaw does not have an offer yet

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes -- I tweeted JC and he confirmed that Kinlaw didn't yet have an offer .. though Riz says he does

In other news, Andrew Brown continues to wow everyone who sees him .. and so does Blanding .. DL and DB .. go get em boys ...

Wrap: Jersey NUC 5-Star

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In other news, Andrew Brown continues to wow everyone who sees him .. and so does Blanding .. DL and DB .. go get em boys ...

The last player Tech got from Bayside was RB Greg Melvin back in 1995. He ended up leaving the program.

UVA has two current Bayside players on their roster...CB Nicholson, and LB Coley.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are forgetting Anthony Cooper from last year and probably Mizzell from this year.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You are forgetting Anthony Cooper from last year and probably Mizzell from this year.

Didn't count Cooper because he hasn't arrived yet, and didn't count Mizzell because he hasn't commited to anyone yet. But, you're probably correct on both counts.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point being, Bayside and Varina are two pro-UVA schools.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Is Varina really a pro-UVA school? I know having Blanda Wolfe on UVA's staff has to help, but just because they got commitments from two Varina guys last who didn't have VT offers doesn't seem to me to be a school leaning in one direction. I don't know a lot about Stu Brown, so I don't know if he prefers UVA, but we've had some recent success there that has to be favorable with the school (although DeAntre Rhodes never qualified for here).

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Is Varina really a pro-UVA school? I know having Blanda Wolfe on UVA's staff has to help, but just because they got commitments from two Varina guys last who didn't have VT offers doesn't seem to me to be a school leaning in one direction. I don't know a lot about Stu Brown, so I don't know if he prefers UVA, but we've had some recent success there that has to be favorable with the school (although DeAntre Rhodes never qualified for here).

At the current time, I'd have to say they're more pro-UVA than pro-Tech.

The last player we recruited from Varina was DT DeAntre Rhodes in 2009. He had to prep for a full year, ended up not qualifying, and signed with Louisville in 2010.

Previous to Rhodes, we signed ATH/DB Davon Morgan from Varina in 2007, DT Jonathan Lewis in 2002, and Jonathan's brother, FB/DL Kevin, in 1999.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You forgetting what HS Blanding goes to?
No .. I haven't forgotten where he goes .. but eventually, we'll land a player from Bayside .. And why can't it be a 5* DB who may want to come to DBU?

Some kids will actually think for themselves, especially when they're perceived to be a 5* with aspirations of playing on Sundays.

Some will go where they'll be given the best opportunity to accomplish that goal.

Some won't buy into their coaches' UVA bullshit.

And I'm sure you guys have good information leading you to believe -- but Mizzell to UVA?? I'll believe it when I see it. If he does, poor guy will fall into mediocrity.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
At the current time, I'd have to say they're more pro-UVA than pro-Tech.

The last player we recruited from Varina was DT DeAntre Rhodes in 2009. He had to prep for a full year, ended up not qualifying, and signed with Louisville in 2010.

Previous to Rhodes, we signed ATH/DB Davon Morgan from Varina in 2007, DT Jonathan Lewis in 2002, and Jonathan's brother, FB/DL Kevin, in 1999.

That's kinda my point. We have a pretty good history with the school. UVA had very little history with Varina prior to last year. So does having Wolfe on their staff give them a complete advantage over us? Or is Coach Brown impartial and helping his players make the best decision for themselves? I'd believe that having Wolfe would be a help to UVA, but is it really one the same level as Bayside?

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point being, Bayside and Varina are two pro-UVA schools.

This may be a dumb question, but I'm not from VA originally so suck it. How exactly does a school become a 'pro UVA' school based on our recent history with UVA. It's not like we're getting guys and their not playing, or leaving the program. They really just straight up don't want to come here?

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may be a dumb question, but I'm not from VA originally so suck it. How exactly does a school become a 'pro UVA' school based on our recent history with UVA. It's not like we're getting guys and their not playing, or leaving the program. They really just straight up don't want to come here?

Several things can contribute to certain high schools favoring one program over the other, regardless of the results on the field. Course offerings, relationships between the 2 staffs and location of schools are just a few.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's kinda my point. We have a pretty good history with the school. UVA had very little history with Varina prior to last year. So does having Wolfe on their staff give them a complete advantage over us? Or is Coach Brown impartial and helping his players make the best decision for themselves? I'd believe that having Wolfe would be a help to UVA, but is it really one the same level as Bayside?

Varina send Davon Morgan to VT i know. Did the Lewis bros come from Varina?
VT has a good relationship with Highland Springs it seems. (Macho, Hopkins Bros)

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Several things can contribute to certain high schools favoring one program over the other, regardless of the results on the field. Course offerings, relationships between the 2 staffs and location of schools are just a few.

Relationship is really the only thing that causes a high school to favor a college program. Course offerings vary with each kid, just like every other aspect going into making a decision on what college to attend. But relationship is what causes kids and coaches in the high school program to feel comfortable enough to want to come there regardless. Which is why many here believe Varina leans to UVA because Blanda Wolfe was once Varina's HC and now is on UVA's staff in recruiting. That helps, but it really depends on Varina's current HC Stu Brown and whether he steers kids towards a school like UVA because of Wolfe. That I do not have an answer for and wonder how much of an impact it really is.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you'd be surprised at how many kids like Mike London just because he is black. Has the Obama effect on some of the recruits.