• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2013 Recruiting Target List

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW he put up new highlights from this season. 3 days old.

[YOUTUBE]zo-qIfCf3C4[/YOUTUBE]

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is mean and a finisher (so was Jake Grove) and that is something that you cannot coach into a player.

Exactly. You never see him just standing there after a pancake. Its always finding another jersey to hit at the next level. Also theres a chance he could play Center, which would be great in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just need to pack some weight on him. I'm not a good judge of offensive linemen, but he definitely looks better than what rivals has him pegged at.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Happy with the guys we got, but we had at least 19 OL offers and landed 3. The 3 we landed were all offered pretty late iirc, so to a point i think you have to say we "settled".

EDIT: i dont think our coaches are lazy or whatever, we had no problem identifying and offering top linemen, we just got to do a better job of landing them.

I could probably buy "settled" if a recruit was offered after the conclusion of his senior year, but all three of the OLs we signed committed to us before their senior seasons got stated. Willenbrock committed on 5/16/2011, Conte on 7/20/2011, and Taraschke on 7/22/2011 after performing very well during a one-day camp in July.

I think you also have to ask yourself how many of the other 12 OLs we offered actually gave us a realistic chance to sign.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Willenbrock is the anti Korren Kirven

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
and TAE .. most of my statements were more sarcastic than anything. I know that our coaches aren't lazy. I think they're getting what they can get and making the most of what they get .. but your statement:

I think you also have to ask yourself how many of the other 12 OLs we offered actually gave us a realistic chance to sign.

is exactly my point. What about VT is so unattractive for so many OL recruits? We run a fairly balanced offense and are committed to the run. What more could a lineman want? There's something missing and you won't convince me otherwise. When UVA can consistently recruit that position much better than us (even in the Groh era), there's something missing. You can't only measure success by how many of these OL are in the NFL, the but difference is pretty glaring. Not badmouthing or beating up anyone .. They sure as hell know what they're doing a LOT more than most of us could .. it's just my opinion.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
and TAE .. most of my statements were more sarcastic than anything. I know that our coaches aren't lazy. I think they're getting what they can get and making the most of what they get .. but your statement:

is exactly my point. What about VT is so unattractive for so many OL recruits? We run a fairly balanced offense and are committed to the run. What more could a lineman want? There's something missing and you won't convince me otherwise. When UVA can consistently recruit that position much better than us (even in the Groh era), there's something missing. You can't only measure success by how many of these OL are in the NFL, the but difference is pretty glaring. Not badmouthing or beating up anyone .. They sure as hell know what they're doing a LOT more than most of us could .. it's just my opinion.

Yes, I admit that according to the Rivals player-rankings, UVA has recruited higher-ranked OLs than Tech. So what? How much better is a 4-star than a 3-star, or a 3-star than a 2-star? What exactly has UVA done with those higher-ranked OLs?

Since 1999, the NFL has drafted 8 OLs each from Tech and UVA. Since 2006, the NFL has drafted 4 OLs each from Tech and UVA. If the goal is to put OLs into the league, I'm not seeing any difference between Tech and UVA.

If you want to argue results on the field, Tech has won the last 8 games in a row, including the latest 38-zip thrashing. Al Groh beat Tech once in his 9 years at the UVA helm. London's two teams have scored 7 points on Tech while giving up 75. A lot of Tech's success has come from winning the battles in the trenches. JMHO, and you can disagree all you want, but that success is because of better recruit evaluation, player development, and coaching by the Tech staff. I can guarantee you that Tech's staff does not use the player evaluations by Rivals or any other recruiting organization.

In the four recruiting classes previous to Newsome's arrival (including 2006), Tech recruited 17 players who either started as OLs are got moved to that position. Out of those 17 players, 10 left the program for various reasons. Since Coach Newsome arrived in Jan 2006, Tech has had only two OLs transfer out of the program, Latif and Alvarez. Good player retention allows you to build an offensive line with solid starters and good depth.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the difference is that uva has had 2 offensive linemen drafted in the top 10 in the nfl draft in recent seasons, and brandon albert mid-first round. we had duane brown late first, but that is it aside from some late round guys. that is something to consider and im sure that offensive linemen consider that as well.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Was just comparing an inferior team's (Uva) OL recruiting to ours .. just a comparison .. and so what? When we play ohio state and wisconsin in the next few seasons, it'll matter .. Nothing personal. Just saying that we'll always get pushed around by Big 10 and SEC teams with the type of OL that we have. If we want to run a pro-like offense, recruit kids who are 300 lbs, not kids that take three years in the weight room and practice field (Newsome's words) before they're ready for VT's offense.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i'm cautiously optimistic that stinespring and ocain will tailor their offensive game plan(s) to use lt's strength this next season, utilize jc coleman and playmakers the way they should .. and not try to pound it up the middle 1-2-3 .. i think our OL next season, with some continuity could be better than this past season's .. but quick passes, screens, draws .. shit like that takes a lot of pressure off an OL down after down .. that run-first shit won't work with FSU

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
the difference is that uva has had 2 offensive linemen drafted in the top 10 in the nfl draft in recent seasons, and brandon albert mid-first round. we had duane brown late first, but that is it aside from some late round guys. that is something to consider and im sure that offensive linemen consider that as well.

Exactly, and Monroe/Albert (after prepping) were pretty high regarded prospects. And more importantly, there were all from outside the state of VA. We've been burned with OOS OL recruits (Carroll, Brown), but we need to place a greater emphasis on expanding OL recruiting from just VA and NC. The Northeast is a great place for us to try to recruit OL and would be much easier than going farther south IMO.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN has Hackenberg as a 5 star. :smash: 20 TDs and 16 INTs?