• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2013 Recruiting Target List

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JRowland_Rivals Justin Rowland
Fork Union QB Christian Hackenberg will visit #Bama #PSU #Miami #SouthCarolina this spring. All have offered.
48 minutes ago

In addition he has visited Tennessee and "loved it"

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats Coach Shuman saying that. Hackenberg himself hasn't really shown much interest.

It can't hurt to offer, but I wouldn't put much into him coming here.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats Coach Shuman saying that. Hackenberg himself hasn't really shown much interest.

It can't hurt to offer, but I wouldn't put much into him coming here.

so as far as in state qbs, we are putting all our eggs in the basket for bucky? what about ryan burns?

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Teel Time: Fork Union quarterback Hackenberg "waiting patiently" for Virginia Tech offer - dailypress.com

this article that we posted a while back says he is waiting for an offer. why havent we offered? seems like he was interested not too long ago and he is currently the #1 QB in the state(or in the argument at least)

Hackenberg is listed by the FREE side of Rivals as a pro-style QB and I've read elsewhere that his 40-time is in the range of 4.7 to 4.9.

I think we're looking for more of a dual-threat QB for 2013. Parker and Jennings are listed by the FREE side of Rivals as dual-threat QBs and Hodges with his 4.6 40-time really should be.

As far as the article is concerned, Hackenberg's coach thought Hackenberg was waiting for an offer from Tech, but Hackenberg's not personally quoted anywhere in the article.

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since there aren't many instate OL prospects, where is the best place to go to find some? Is there anywhere out of state where we have consistently recruited good OL prospects?

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
well if you go by rivals rankings (not a great measure but im not gonna dig all day) .. for the 2012 looking at 2+ star Olineman:

- PA had 11 2+ star OL (3 were 4*, 8 were 3*) - most of these kids are going to Northeast schools .. several to Rutgers
- VA had 12 2+ star OL (2 were 4*, 10 were 3* .. we got 1 of them - Conte) -- Sad thing is we lose these kids to UVA, NC State, Wake, BC, Memphis, not just big ACC or SEC schools)
- NC had 9 2+ start OL (1 was 5*, 2 were 4*, 6 were 3*) one of the 3* OL went to Charlotte, one to Southern Miss
- MD had three 3* OL, DC had one 3*

Out of all of these lineman, we offered 9:
4 from NC
4 from VA
1 from MD

I didn't bother to look in Big10 country or even SC down (SEC country). Our odds of being successful there is low.

We got one -- a 3* Conte
We got Willenbrock from PA (a 2*) who may have been in with Harris
We got Taraschke (a 2* from Fredericksburg)

To summarize -- I don't know much about development/recruitment of OL so I'll trust everyone's word who says that it's the biggest unknown .. BUT .. how can you argue that those numbers are just flat out pathetic?? Maybe they just weren't searching for OL in this class .. but of all those kids in surrounding states, that's ALL we could do?? Offer 25% of the 3+ stars who are reasonably close -- yet settle for 2* ?? Someone on the board seems to know quite a bit about OL development in general (is it TAE? or VTFF?) .. Explain please .. Are we just settling? Are we not trying hard enough? Are the coaches seeing something that is obviously being missed?

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we have offered kugler, OL from PA but im assuming we dont have a realistic shot for him.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
well if you go by rivals rankings (not a great measure but im not gonna dig all day) .. for the 2012 looking at 2+ star Olineman:

- PA had 11 2+ star OL (3 were 4*, 8 were 3*) - most of these kids are going to Northeast schools .. several to Rutgers
- VA had 12 2+ star OL (2 were 4*, 10 were 3* .. we got 1 of them - Conte) -- Sad thing is we lose these kids to UVA, NC State, Wake, BC, Memphis, not just big ACC or SEC schools)
- NC had 9 2+ start OL (1 was 5*, 2 were 4*, 6 were 3*) one of the 3* OL went to Charlotte, one to Southern Miss
- MD had three 3* OL, DC had one 3*

Out of all of these lineman, we offered 9:
4 from NC
4 from VA
1 from MD

I didn't bother to look in Big10 country or even SC down (SEC country). Our odds of being successful there is low.

We got one -- a 3* Conte
We got Willenbrock from PA (a 2*) who may have been in with Harris
We got Taraschke (a 2* from Fredericksburg)

To summarize -- I don't know much about development/recruitment of OL so I'll trust everyone's word who says that it's the biggest unknown .. BUT .. how can you argue that those numbers are just flat out pathetic?? Maybe they just weren't searching for OL in this class .. but of all those kids in surrounding states, that's ALL we could do?? Offer 25% of the 3+ stars who are reasonably close -- yet settle for 2* ?? Someone on the board seems to know quite a bit about OL development in general (is it TAE? or VTFF?) .. Explain please .. Are we just settling? Are we not trying hard enough? Are the coaches seeing something that is obviously being missed?

1) Don't pay too much attention to the player rankings. We've had much better success recruiting and developing 3-star/2-star/NR OLs than we've had with 4-star players. Our last set of OL starters were: Dechristopher (4-star), Brooks (3-star), Miller (3-star), Nosal (2-star), and Lanier (2-star). Yes, the coaches have their own process of evaluation that has zero input from the so-called recruiting services.

2) Yes, OLs were a priority for the 2012 Class because we lost 4 OL starters.

3) No, we didn't "settle" for anyone...Shane recruited Conte and Willenbrock while Foster recruited Taraschke from a one-day camp on July 9th. Neither one of those coaches are "pathetic" when it comes to recruiting, particularly Shane.

Seriously, do you really believe the coaches weren't trying very hard?

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You knock Willenbrock for being a 2 star but honestly I wish we had more Willenbrocks on the team. Sure he may be slightly undersized but that can change after a couple years in the weight room and West End. Jack has a motor that honestly I didn't see from many other OL recruits last year. Even the 5 stars didn't have the nastiness and drive that Willenbrock has. He never gave up on a play and was always going. That is why I say to hell with his rating. I'd like some more please.

I think there is a common misconception that we need a BIGGER OL. We wouldn't need BIGGER OL if the ones we have had Jacks tenacity.

He is the anti-Vince Painter. And you can see what good thats done us.

Last edited by a moderator:

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
3) No, we didn't "settle" for anyone...Shane recruited Conte and Willenbrock while Foster recruited Taraschke from a one-day camp on July 9th. Neither one of those coaches are "pathetic" when it comes to recruiting, particularly Shane.

Seriously, do you really believe the coaches weren't trying very hard?

Happy with the guys we got, but we had at least 19 OL offers and landed 3. The 3 we landed were all offered pretty late iirc, so to a point i think you have to say we "settled".

EDIT: i dont think our coaches are lazy or whatever, we had no problem identifying and offering top linemen, we just got to do a better job of landing them.

Last edited by a moderator: