• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2013 Recruiting Target List

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Technically Sims could start for 1 yr at 'Bama, if Mcarron stays healthy and finishes out his career as a starter. Assuming Logan Thomas would've beat him out at Tech, he would've only started at VT for a year as well.

Logan would have been a TE if we got Sims.

EDIT: im not saying that Sims is a better QB. Im just saying that Logan is playing QB more because of a glaring hole on our offense (before they knew about Leal) than because LT was a big time QB prospect. That hole wouldnt have been there with Sims.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We really better not miss on Bucky. It's painful to see us whiff on players like Philip Sims (obviously to early to tell w Cyrus Jones) who won't even see the field at Alabama...

bucky really worries me. i dont have a great feeling with him

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Logan would have been a TE if we got Sims.

EDIT: im not saying that Sims is a better QB. Im just saying that Logan is playing QB more because of a glaring hole on our offense (before they knew about Leal) than because LT was a big time QB prospect. That hole wouldnt have been there with Sims.

I concur with this. Sims was a stud in high school and he chose to play with the big boys at Alabama and the SEC. There he has to compete with several other 4-5* players for the starting job. I think he would probably be a starter at VT (or many other D1 schools) by now. McCarron may be a pretty good pro style prospect but he isnt getting a ton of hype right now. This is not very good for Sims. If AJM doesnt leave early, PS is looking at maybe a year as starter (assuming Saban wants to do that and not break in a younger 5* stud QB on the roster). You never want these kids to shy away from competition, but I hope Kirven understands this. He will have some stiff comp. at VT, but not like Bama. That doesnt necessarily mean he is locked into a starting position in Blacksburg (or anywhere for that matter), he will still have to earn it of course.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bucky really worries me. i dont have a great feeling with him

Still not really sure why everyone is so worried about Hodges going elsewhere? Im sure he will have options and London is obviously courting him hard but he will have a very good shot at starting EARLY at VT. Outside of Leal there is really no one standing in his way on the roster right now. He could be a 3 year starter..at worst. He is far from a lock but, I think we are in better shape than some think.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There is nothing driving that "I don't have a great feeling with him" feeling that some have, other than the recruit hasn't announced yet in order to give them the warm fuzzies.

Be confident. The right recruits come to VT, and VT is a great team because of that, as well as the excellent coaching they get once they arrive.

I love to see the highly touted recruits come to VT, because VT does need to have talent to get to that NC, but when that happens, it happens, and crossing your fingers or worrying about the wind direction isn't going to help out with that.

What's nice is that the NC is even on the agenda. Beamer has brought the program a long way, but I sure would have liked to have seen them win the Sugar Bowl. That's about as close as you can get and not walk away with the trophy.

But the point is that VT has some really great qualities, and is really set up nicely for some future success. I sure would like to see some genetically superior WRs show up, but it may be that they're developed in house. I think VT is solid in the WR category for next year, but they really do need some talent - home grown or otherwise, for the year after.

Recruiting now is the best it has ever been.

Last edited by a moderator:

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Still not really sure why everyone is so worried about Hodges going elsewhere? Im sure he will have options and London is obviously courting him hard but he will have a very good shot at starting EARLY at VT. Outside of Leal there is really no one standing in his way on the roster right now. He could be a 3 year starter..at worst. He is far from a lock but, I think we are in better shape than some think.

I agree.

Great pickup for VT, great opportunity for Hodges.

HokieChamp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just out of curiosity, how many years would he have at UVA if he chose to go there? Rocco is a Soph and Watford is a Frosh...and they have another Frosh QB who I can't think of right now and two more QB recruits for 2012. Seems to me like coming to VT, learning for a couple years, and then playing for three with a shot at the NFL sounds better than the QB logjam at UVA with who knows how much playing time.

vtfan15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Personally i'm not confident about our chances with Hodges due to his reactions to various games throughout the season. I could be reading too much into his comments, but he didn't seem at all interested in us, while being enthralled with others. With that said, i've got confidence that the coaches and we could offer him good playing time.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not as confident on Hodges either. Very confident on DJ Reid.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just out of curiosity, how many years would he have at UVA if he chose to go there? Rocco is a Soph and Watford is a Frosh...and they have another Frosh QB who I can't think of right now and two more QB recruits for 2012. Seems to me like coming to VT, learning for a couple years, and then playing for three with a shot at the NFL sounds better than the QB logjam at UVA with who knows how much playing time.

We will see what happens because he is still very raw. But I would not count on Watford turning into the UVA version of TT. He has not showed that he will be anything special, at least not yet IMO. UVA has a pretty good pro-style prospect from what I have heard signing in a few weeks (kid from Georgia) and I am sure Burns and others are high on their list. We will see what happens with Hodges. If anything I could see him going OOS.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was our first commit for the 2012 class? Are we behind schedule with the 2013 class? No one has pledged yet, right?

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was our first commit for the 2012 class? Are we behind schedule with the 2013 class? No one has pledged yet, right?

Manning and Tookes committed the day after 2011 signing day. So in that respect, we aren't behind at all.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah. Ok. Good to know. I would like to keep the recruiting MO going. When was it that it shifted? I think it was a little before 2008? Maybe earlier? Before then most of our commits happened after the summer. Now it seems like we leave August with 15+ verbals or more.

jermadams

HOKIES!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
so who all do we feel confident w getting in 2013.....D.J. Reid, Matt Rolin (once offered), Ryheem Lockley (once offered) and Kendall Fuller??? anyone else

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holland Fisher, DJ Reid, Wyatt Teller. My top 3 choices for "locks".

jermadams

HOKIES!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
thats a good 3 to have! i was thinking Rolin since his brother is on the team...and lockley because he said it in an interview and Fuller....well, you know why