• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2013 Recruiting Target List

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a difference between rover and free safety in our system? I know we generally have the FS callin the plays, but I don't understand the difference aside from that

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Is there a difference between rover and free safety in our system? I know we generally have the FS callin the plays, but I don't understand the difference aside from that

The Rover is one of two safeties that may be present on the field along with the Free Safety. Unlike the Free Safety, who operates mostly as a defensive back and one of the last lines of defense, the Rover plays closer to the line and serves as a sort of hybrid between a defensive back and a linebacker. Rovers tend to be stronger and tasked with stopping the run, and they often defend the strong side of the field where more blockers are present. But, the Rover must also be able to have very good speed and quickness to cover speedy WRs and RBs coming out of the backfield.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Okay...anyone want to guess who will be the next Tech verbal and when?

JPCVT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you guys feel about any of the premier RBs for VA this year ending up with the Hokies? Depending on where Edmunds ends up, and with talk of Mangus playing receiver, the depth chart could look a little more favorable. I have an acquaintance on the Thomas Dale staff who said that DJ Reid is interested in taking his visits, but feels really good about the Hokies. They also said Reavis is an absolute beast for 2014.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
How do you guys feel about any of the premier RBs for VA this year ending up with the Hokies? Depending on where Edmunds ends up, and with talk of Mangus playing receiver, the depth chart could look a little more favorable. I have an acquaintance on the Thomas Dale staff who said that DJ Reid is interested in taking his visits, but feels really good about the Hokies. They also said Reavis is an absolute beast for 2014.
DJ will be a Hokie unless something drastically changes. He really wants to visit USF before he makes his decision, but USF is too far from home for him IMO. He will be a Hokie when it is all said and done. He will be the primary RB that comes in this class, unless we can get Derrick Green to come in. If Green comes in then DJ could play multiple positions. We have made up a lot of ground on Green but it is going to be a fight to get him and keep him. I am very optimistic on DJ being in Blacksburg...

And yes Reavis is a monster and VT is sitting very favorably right now..

iv_hokie12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DJ will be a Hokie unless something drastically changes. He really wants to visit USF before he makes his decision, but USF is too far from home for him IMO. He will be a Hokie when it is all said and done. He will be the primary RB that comes in this class, unless we can get Derrick Green to come in. If Green comes in then DJ could play multiple positions. We have made up a lot of ground on Green but it is going to be a fight to get him and keep him. I am very optimistic on DJ being in Blacksburg...

And yes Reavis is a monster and VT is sitting very favorably right now..

Two questions.

1. What other positions could DJ play?
2. Would we still be in a good position with Reavis if USC offers?

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Two questions.

1. What other positions could DJ play?
2. Would we still be in a good position with Reavis if USC offers?
DJ could fit in on Defense or as a WR, he is one of those athletes that could excel in multiple positions. Right now he is primarily a RB but there is potential for him to change. USC is the wild card with Reavis, he is a "legacy" over there (Uncle I believe), he has a lot of friends going to VT though which helps a lot.

ImAHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fuller will probably happen before the season gets going. I think his family will push him towards making the decision by then.