• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2012 Recruiting Target List

jgHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I certainly don't have any issues with anyone here, but Ri___ and the rest of the so-called recruiting "services" just piss me off.

who care's what they think. the staff does a great job year in and year out with people that these recruiting services rate low. CFB and company know what they're looking for..and they don't need people from Ri___ to tell them if kids are good or not. this is a great class so far..no matter what the "services" have to say about it.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The kid mauls people, which is something that you can't coach. If he is undersized, that is very fixable with Gentrification. Just look at Andrew Miller. I would rather he be undersized and nasty than giant and timid, for sure.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Acree and Painter seemed to have the same two basic problems while playing defense...they were too slow reacting with their first step and tended to stand straight up.

Since they know the snap count on offense, their current foot-speed should be enough to allow them to win a spot in the OL 2-deep. They'll have to work on that standing up problem...that won't help them at all with run-blocking.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Painter is crazy his numbers are amazing its annoying he cant put it together

We had an OL by the name of Anthony Nelson back in 1998 who had the same problem...crazy-strong, but just couldn't get quick enough to earn a starting job. Another OL with a similar problem was Brandon Ore from the 2002 Class. Then we had Tripp Carroll who arrived early from the 2003 Class but he couldn't stay off the injury list or stay motivated enough to play.

Fetti

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I still think UVA would have found a way to get Painter on the field. I'm not completely sold on our own development at the position.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I still think UVA would have found a way to get Painter on the field. I'm not completely sold on our own development at the position.

If Painter hasn't been able to beat out the guys ahead of him at Tech, what makes you think he could beat out the allegedly better OLs at UVA?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had an OL by the name of Anthony Nelson back in 1998 who had the same problem...crazy-strong, but just couldn't get quick enough to earn a starting job. Another OL with a similar problem was Brandon Ore from the 2002 Class. Then we had Tripp Carroll who arrived early from the 2003 Class but he couldn't stay off the injury list or stay motivated enough to play.

??? Am I missing something?? I thought Ore was a stud RB, class of '05, 757..Not questioning you TAE..just don't remember hearing an OL by that name. Maybe I am reading it all wrong??? :brick:

Carroll i remember, wasnt he a FL or SE recruit who was wanting to be an engineer? Major disappointment (on the field that is)?

Last edited by a moderator:

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
UVA develops offensive lineman very well.

OL development by both UVA and Tech is dead even based on the number of OLs drafted by the NFL. A quick search of OLs drafted over the last ten years (1999-2010) shows eight OLs drafted from both Tech and UVA. Over the last five years, the NFL has drafted four OLs from each team. No OLs were drafted from either team in 2010.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
??? Am I missing something?? I thought Ore was a stud RB, class of '05, 757..Not questioning you TAE..just don't remember hearing an OL by that name. Maybe I am reading it all wrong??? :brick:

Carroll i remember, wasnt he a FL or SE recruit who was wanting to be an engineer? Major disappointment (on the field that is)?

Meant Brandon Gore...my bad, missed a letter.

Yeah...Carroll was originally from NC, but his Dad moved to Florida to take a head coaching job so he spent his senior year high school in Florida (Jacksonville, I think). He developed compartment syndrome (like Dyrel Roberts) in one calf during his first year, and then had the same problem the next year. He had some other injuries along the way including a shoulder. Officially, he left football because of the injuries, but I think somewhere along the line he lost his interest in playing football. An insider I knew back then told me he was just more interested in hunting and fishing.

jgHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meant Brandon Gore...my bad, missed a letter.

Yeah...Carroll was originally from NC, but his Dad moved to Florida to take a head coaching job so he spent his senior year high school in Florida (Jacksonville, I think). He developed compartment syndrome (like Dyrel Roberts) in one calf during his first year, and then had the same problem the next year. He had some other injuries along the way including a shoulder. Officially, he left football because of the injuries, but I think somewhere along the line he lost his interest in playing football. An insider I knew back then told me he was just more interested in hunting and fishing.

Can't hate him for that...those are 2 of my favorite past times! lol

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but 3 of UVas OLine picks have been in the 1st 15 picks of the draft. Ferguson was top 5...This is the one and only area where I will give Groh his props..

I would argue that M. Moses (as low as his IQ may be) will be the next 1st or 2nd rounder in line from UVA..not because of London though. I do not see that tackle or guard on the VT roster..right now at least.

And no prob TAE...I forgot about Gore..figured you did something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fetti

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
OL development by both UVA and Tech is dead even based on the number of OLs drafted by the NFL. A quick search of OLs drafted over the last ten years (1999-2010) shows eight OLs drafted from both Tech and UVA. Over the last five years, the NFL has drafted four OLs from each team. No OLs were drafted from either team in 2010.

You'd be hard pressed to find someone who didn't see a problem with our offensive line development from 2001-2005. We brought in Curt Newsome to fix that situation. IMO, it wasn't the improvement we had hoped for.

I also think you'd be hardpressed to find someone who doesn't think UVA is much better at o-line development than we are. UVA is to OL as VT is to DB's.

But fair enough, we'll never see Painter on the field anyway so we'll never know.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd be hard pressed to find someone who didn't see a problem with our offensive line development from 2001-2005. We brought in Curt Newsome to fix that situation. IMO, it wasn't the improvement we had hoped for.

I also think you'd be hardpressed to find someone who doesn't think UVA is much better at o-line development than we are. UVA is to OL as VT is to DB's.

But fair enough, we'll never see Painter on the field anyway so we'll never know.

True..but London is not recruiting the OL nearly as well as Groh did (not even in the ballpark if you go by rankings). ML is recruiting much better at the skill positions, much like VT has done in the past.