• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Va Tech basketball

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JJ said from the start that he wanted to run more, trying to get easy baskets. With that, Seth said the same type things almost every season.

JJ also said that he doesn't know if they'll be able to do it as much as he'd like this season because of the lack of depth. So temper your expectations for how much we'll run THIS YEAR a little bit.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JJ said he is projected Eddie to have a breakout year. Said he shoots better off the dribble and improved his game in the post. I'll believe it when I see it, but if true this team may not be so bad.

that would be awesome. As for this team not being so bad... I think we'll have a good group of starters and a couple guys off the bench that can really contribute. We just don't have enough guys on the bench, so we'll be susceptible to foul trouble and we'll get worn down as the season goes on. Predicting any individual game with this group would be tough, but I think we'll surprise a couple teams we're SUPPOSED to lose to.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niemo over at TechHoops.com had a good take comparing SG and JJ in regard to tempo:

Greenberg quit on pushing the ball each year, and pressing, because that’s not his style. I think he did it because it was better suited to the more skilled players and athletes he was getting after a while at VT. But in the end, we’d struggle for a half at it, and he’d scrap it. He had no will to invest in that style of play.

JJ, on the other hand, wants to play that way, so even if we struggle with it for a few games, he’ll stick with it. But as you said, this won’t be the year to unleash 40 minutes of hell, we simply don’t have enough bullets for that. We’ll pick and choose our spots to press/trap. Keep in mind, though, you can run full court defenses that aren’t really ‘pressure’ defenses and actually slow the game down as it eats up time before an offense can get in their set in the half court (it isn’t aggressive in nature gambling for steals). Could see some of that, too.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that would be awesome. As for this team not being so bad... I think we'll have a good group of starters and a couple guys off the bench that can really contribute. We just don't have enough guys on the bench, so we'll be susceptible to foul trouble and we'll get worn down as the season goes on. Predicting any individual game with this group would be tough, but I think we'll surprise a couple teams we're SUPPOSED to lose to.

Yea we aren't going to be able to play the style of basketball JJ wants because of our lack of depth. We're going to be forced into half-court defense to slow down the game so we don't burn our starters. Believe me, my expectations for this team are not high, but they may not be as bad as most are putting them out to be. Right now, I would set the goal for this team to make the NIT and finish middle of the table in the ACC. We'll see in November where this team stands.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Erick Green lacks no confidence (cockiness) saying, "I'm honestly one of the best guards in the country." Several media members had him on All-ACC preseason team, but he didn't make first team.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JJ said he is projected Eddie to have a breakout year. Said he shoots better off the dribble and improved his game in the post. I'll believe it when I see it, but if true this team may not be so bad.
He has the strength and length to play in the post. I think if he's added a few post moves he will do well there. Eddie is a lights out shooter but it seemed like he had to force shots in our stagnant offense last year which messed his rhythm.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta admit that I am kind of excited about this season. I won't miss SG and his facial expressions one bit. Glad I don't have to watch Davila anymore as well.
I actually liked Davila. Sure he had hands of rock but he had some awesome post moves. He had some monster games defensively as well.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The bolded part sounds a lot like every team Greenberg ever coached. Even when he had bodies, he never seemed to go much beyond a 7 man rotation and the starters would log major minutes.

But I would hope he wouldn't use lack of depth as an excuse to not run a faster pace system. He's got nothing to lose this year. Implement what you want to run, record be damned. This is his one year where he'll have that freedom. The clock starts ticking after year 1.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bolded part sounds a lot like every team Greenberg ever coached. Even when he had bodies, he never seemed to go much beyond a 7 man rotation and the starters would log major minutes.

But I would hope he wouldn't use lack of depth as an excuse to not run a faster pace system. He's got nothing to lose this year. Implement what you want to run, record be damned. This is his one year where he'll have that freedom. The clock starts ticking after year 1.

yeah, and JJ was left in this position by SG...

but depth has to be a consideration when you're talking tempo. It's not about being willing to lose a game because of it. It's about not wearing out your guys and getting them injured, discouraged, etc. That would do them no good for next year.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but I'm talking about abandoning the concept all together like Greenberg would do after one bad game or sequence. JJ needs to stick to it in practice and really, through much of the game depending on situations. If you're playing a fast style, its something you have to commit to all the time. It's not something you just break out every now and then. You have to build up conditioning, timing, etc etc. I'm not even sure what style he's talking about, so that's why I was hoping someone has actually seen them in action. "Up-tempo" is pretty darn vague.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JJ seemed open to playing walk ons. Greenburg absolutely refused to play walk ins in any meaningful playing time unless he was absolutely forced ala Paul Debnam vs. Wichita State. I'm not saying give them tons of playing time, but if they show something in practice just put them in a few minutes to get a hustle play or two. I think JJ is going to do that.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
regarding tempo:

“All we’ve been doing is running, every practice,” Green said. “It’s not been sets. We go up and down, every drill. It’s a way different style of play than last year.

“I know Greenberg stressed about running last year, but we didn’t do what we’re doing this year. Everything is full court.

“We’ve been running and doing all this conditioning and we all know in our heads that this is the style of play we want to play.”

that and more from/on Green here: http://blogs.roanoke.com/courtside/2012/10/erick-green-feature/

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the sound of that. They have sparked my imagination. Can't wait to see what they've been working on

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep, you guys nailed it. Berman answered this in his next post, among other things:

Johnson on why Joey van Zegeren did not play in the scrimmage: “He could’ve played today. It’s a precautionary thing. He tweaked his knee in practice the other day, but he could’ve played today. He went through our shootaround early today and he also went through pregame warmups. … He’s going to be big for us. … We expect him to be able to step in when Raines needs a blow or (gets in) foul trouble.”
http://blogs.roanoke.com/courtside/2012/10/hokies-discuss-scrimmage/

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting quote. I guess that means Barksdale is going to play mainly at the 4 and not the 5.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting quote. I guess that means Barksdale is going to play mainly at the 4 and not the 5.

I think that's where he should be playing. If JVZ can spell Cadarian, and we can use Wood and CJB at the 4, it will free Eddie to play wing where he should be. One of the things that frustrated me the most last year was seeing Eddie in foul trouble because he was forced to play out of position.