• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Va Tech basketball

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's where he should be playing. If JVZ can spell Cadarian, and we can use Wood and CJB at the 4, it will free Eddie to play wing where he should be. One of the things that frustrated me the most last year was seeing Eddie in foul trouble because he was forced to play out of position.
I think Eddie has the strength and frame to play the VT 4, but I agree he should be mainly at the 3. We also don't know if Marshall Wood will be able to play the 4 or not. Eddie could still see time there.

Random question, but does anyone know if JVG is going to be used to spread the floor at all? I remember seeing him shooting a bunch of 3's in a highlight video but I wonder if he can shoot jumpers at the college pace. Obviously he wouldn't be a first option, but maybe shoot just enough to keep the 5's from sinking too deep in the paint.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About three weeks from tip-off. Can't wait. I've got zero expectations. These are the seasons I enjoy the most, because what happens is simply what happens. I'll take it as it comes.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
About three weeks from tip-off. Can't wait. I've got zero expectations. These are the seasons I enjoy the most, because what happens is simply what happens. I'll take it as it comes.

Yea, it almost feels like 2004 again. Everyone in the world thinks we'll get crushed, so our guys can go out there and play with nothing to lose. Every win is fun and meaningful again.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
should be a very interesting year. I think the ACC is going to be stronger this year in general, both at the top and in the middle, otherwise I'd come right out and say there's no way VT finishes 10th. As it is, I think we've got a good shot to finish higher than that, maybe much higher if we get the right breaks. Whether the media realizes this or not, opposing coaches will not be overlooking VT.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT has as favorable an ACC schedule as you can ask for considering we get the projected 6th (Maryland), 7th (UVa), 8th (Clemson), 9th (GT), 11th (Wake) and 12th (BC) place teams twice. We only play NCSU and UNC once, but on the road, so it will be tough to get quality wins this year...have to beat FSU and Duke at home. The OOC schedule is fairly weak overall. We play in the Las Vegas Classic, but the field in this tourney is laughable....VT is easily the biggest name. This could be another one of those years where we finish something like 23-8 overall (9-7 ACC) and get snubbed again.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT has as favorable an ACC schedule as you can ask for considering we get the projected 6th (Maryland), 7th (UVa), 8th (Clemson), 9th (GT), 11th (Wake) and 12th (BC) place teams twice. We only play NCSU and UNC once, but on the road, so it will be tough to get quality wins this year...have to beat FSU and Duke at home. The OOC schedule is fairly weak overall. We play in the Las Vegas Classic, but the field in this tourney is laughable....VT is easily the biggest name. This could be another one of those years where we finish something like 23-8 overall (9-7 ACC) and get snubbed again.

I think Maryland will be pretty good this year. Will definitely head over to Comcast Center for that one.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think Maryland will be pretty good this year. Will definitely head over to Comcast Center for that one.

Comcast is a fun venue. Might be at that game too (sister is a grad student there part time- hopefully can get me a ticket cheap).

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck... it's the first ACC conference game for us. Might make it a tougher ticket to get. Noon on 1/5.

GD it... the @ UVA game in on a Tuesday night. Fuck that bullshit. I was planning to go to that.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck... it's the first ACC conference game for us. Might make it a tougher ticket to get. Noon on 1/5.

I've gone to our games at Comcast for the last 2 years. Scalped pretty reasonably both times.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://blogs.roanoke.com/courtside/2012/10/johnson-discusses-how-the-hokies-are-looking/

I can't wait to see how this team looks when they get out there. Going to be an interesting year. Realistically I think next year's team will be better, but I so want Erick to have a satisfying senior season.

I think we'll be better this year too. When you think about it, we aren't losing too much production from Doe-Doe transferring. The guy was a liability shooting the ball for most of the season. Hudson and Davila can be replaced. Typically, Sophomores see the biggest improvement from the previous year, and we have 3 good ones. Depth is an issue, but how is that any different from any other VT bball team?

Overall, this team shouldn't make the NCAA tournament and the realistic goal is NIT, but they should improve from the 16-17 season they had last year.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the players look like they're having fun, we see an "identity" with what JJ is building, and do better than 6-12 in ACC play like last year, I will be very happy.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
completely agree with what both of you said. Davila, Hudson, and Doe-Doe will be missed, but Brown, Rankin, and Barksdale should be better, I think Wood is gonna be a huge add, and JVZ will be available. We should be no worse than last year given equivalent or lesser injuries, and there's good potential to be better.

Looking forward to 2013-14 I get even more excited. Erick is going to be a huge loss, but I like the class JJ has been putting together, and those additions plus the experience gained this year by the guys who are returning should be more than enough to offset losing Erick. And with only Eddie and Raines as Srs that year, we'll have most of the team back for 2014-15... I think we were all worried that the time might spiral downward with SG's firing and losing Doe-Doe and Harrell, but honestly I think things are going to be fine.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the players look like they're having fun, we see an "identity" with what JJ is building, and do better than 6-12 in ACC play like last year, I will be very happy.

Pretty much this. If we're over .500 Overall and around 8-10 to 9-9 in the ACC, I'd said its a successful first season.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like that we actually have somewhat of an offensive philosophy after so many years of standing around the perimiter and going 1 on 1.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also from reading that it seems like our starting lineup should be

green-brown-eddie-cj-raines

with rankin, wood, van zegren off the bench

johnston and beyer potentially getting a few minutes at guard and the 3 respectively

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So yeah...

What are the chances our basketball team finishes with a better winning percentage than our football team this year?

Never thought I'd ask that question. :L