• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: UVA (1-0) at #1 Clemson (2-0)

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's still not a thread so decided to make one. UVA is playing really well so far, especially in the trenches. Clemson's lines have struggled so far but Etienne and Lawrence keep converting third and longs.

17-3 Clemson.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough to watch when the #1 team in the country is only playing on the ACC network. Even though my team is going to get killed, I would still like to be able to watch them.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough to watch when the #1 team in the country is only playing on the ACC network. Even though my team is going to get killed, I would still like to be able to watch them.
I bought the ACC network but hate it too. But I decided to make the thread to give small updates to smarter people who didn't waste their money. UVA's legitimately playing great in some ways. UVA's QB can't really pass (he's 5 of 15 right now). But they've methodically moved the ball on the ground and I think they've won on the line of scrimmage. They just don't have the talent to stack up on the edges.

UVA throws a pick and Lawrence passes to Amari Rodgers who hurdled the UVA defender for another TD.

24-3 Clemson

Collegefbfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just really wonder if the Canes have anything for Clemson.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just really wonder if the Canes have anything for Clemson.

I don't know. My impression before tonight was that they were on the right track behind King, but probably weren't a legitimate threat. They didn't really dominate UAB or Louisville. They did FSU but everyone knows FSU might be the worst ACC team right now and were getting thumped by Jacksonville State before switching QBs. They have a top 15 offense but their starters have played almost the entire game in all three. Their defense is not even top 30.

But Clemson's lines are still clearly trying to build rapport and are struggling against UVA. I still think Clemson wins, but I do think it might be a good game.

After a nasty sack, UVA completes three big passes back to back for a touchdown. Clemson called a timeout after the sack which backfired horribly.

24-10 Clemson

Collegefbfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh the Noles switched QBs. Didn’t know that. I had to leave for a bit.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh the Noles switched QBs. Didn’t know that. I had to leave for a bit.

Yep. The team just didn't seem to care with Blackmon. It was 21-7 and FSU couldn't do anything. Some guy named Jordan Travis came off the bench and had five straight scoring drives so the final score was 41-24 Noles. I suspect that's their new QB.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Collegefbfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I still feel Norvell ain’t the guy. The fans, the boosters, alumni, etc. could go for someone bigger. And need to.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Booth with the best defensive play I've seen in at least 10 years! Etienne follows it up by a 46 yard run on a 3rd and 17 draw.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven’t been watching the game. Is Brennan Armstrong just that bad or are the receivers just not that good or a bit of both?

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven’t been watching the game. Is Brennan Armstrong just that bad or are the receivers just not that good or a bit of both?

I think he's pretty good. Weirdly enough, the first two games, Clemson looked like they have a 2018 era defensive line but bad secondary. But the defensive line has been bad and the secondary has been on fire. UVA has had some good drives that ended up drying up or them turning the ball over. They had two picks that really weren't bad throws.

But I'm pissed in this game. Clemson hasn't looked very good on the whole. It's almost like UVA is the better team but one of Clemson's stars pulls out some crazy play. Clemson also can't win in these 4th and short plays. Also, the refs are throwing flags like crazy and have some really questionable calls that even the announcers have been badmouthing (a no call on a PI, some weird unnecessary roughness calls, and they didn't look at a potential Amari Rodgers TD catch last drive that the announcers thought was a TD).

It's 27-10 Clemson with UVA in the red zone.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Touchdown UVA.

27-17 Clemson.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson responds with a touchdown of their own from Lawrence to Etienne.

34-17 Clemson.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chez Mellusi runs in the ball after a big run by Trevor Lawrence. With 5 minutes to go in the game, Clemson is up

41-17

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson puts in the second and third stringers. UVA scores but doesn't convert the 2 point conversion. I hope this was Clemson's annual head scratcher of a game. But great game to UVA. They played really hard, especially in the trenches. I'd say Clemson was out-played and out-coached, but UVA just doesn't have the talent to win the game. But UVA could definitely be back in Charlotte at the end of the season. Good luck the rest of the way Wahoos.

41-23 Clemson, final score.

Last edited:

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was curious how UVA would be post Bryce Perkins, who I heard a lot of good things about when he was at ASU and competing for the QB job against Wilkins and Brady White. Sounds like they're sort of scrappy at least still?

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was curious how UVA would be post Bryce Perkins, who I heard a lot of good things about when he was at ASU and competing for the QB job against Wilkins and Brady White. Sounds like they're sort of scrappy at least still?

Definitely. That new QB they have is good. Very scrappy. I didn't realize they returned like 18 starters on defense. And they have one of the most experienced lines in football. It wouldn't shock me if they made it to Charlotte again. I think their all-around team is better than Miami or UNC (obviously their QB, while good, isn't at their level). I think Notre Dame is better, but who knows if they'll play enough games to qualify.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely. That new QB they have is good. Very scrappy. I didn't realize they returned like 18 starters on defense. And they have one of the most experienced lines in football. It wouldn't shock me if they made it to Charlotte again. I think their all-around team is better than Miami or UNC (obviously their QB, while good, isn't at their level). I think Notre Dame is better, but who knows if they'll play enough games to qualify.
It's fun to see teams like UVA do well. Before Perkins got hurt, he was in the running to take over for an existing starter. A lot of us were pretty excited about him, but then he had the potentially career ender injury and he peaced out. Totally get why he did. I loved seeing him drag UVA back, and it'd be great to see them continue that momentum.

I can imagine a clear road for them becoming very competitive with a decent recruiting area in their backyard. I suspect there are a lot of "diamonds in the rough" in some parts of the state*. Once they get the culture really established there, I think UVA could easily become the main team in that division for a stretch.

We have a recruit from VA that, while being super low rated, I'm pretty pumped about. 6'3" 250 lbs. running backs with obvious athletic ability don't grow on trees, and our guy is only 16. Will enroll at 17. He's really low rated, but then you see the size and watch his hudl highlights... Sometimes I don't get rankings. People his size aren't supposed to move that way. He won't be an RB, I bet he winds up DL, but still.

Martin Lucas from Abingdon. Love his film.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's fun to see teams like UVA do well. Before Perkins got hurt, he was in the running to take over for an existing starter. A lot of us were pretty excited about him, but then he had the potentially career ender injury and he peaced out. Totally get why he did. I loved seeing him drag UVA back, and it'd be great to see them continue that momentum.

I can imagine a clear road for them becoming very competitive with a decent recruiting area in their backyard. I suspect there are a lot of "diamonds in the rough" in some parts of the state*. Once they get the culture really established there, I think UVA could easily become the main team in that division for a stretch.

We have a recruit from VA that, while being super low rated, I'm pretty pumped about. 6'3" 250 lbs. running backs with obvious athletic ability don't grow on trees, and our guy is only 16. Will enroll at 17. He's really low rated, but then you see the size and watch his hudl highlights... Sometimes I don't get rankings. People his size aren't supposed to move that way. He won't be an RB, I bet he winds up DL, but still.

Martin Lucas from Abingdon. Love his film.
Ratings definitely don't always add up. Etienne was a three star RB. Similarly, Kobe Pace (Kobe Pryor back then) was a three star and was considered the #32 RB in the country. He seems to have impressed Dabo and Elliott more and was ahead of Demarkcus Bowman on the depth chart. But I love big running backs and wish Clemson went for more of them. Phil Mafah will hopefully be that guy.

I'll check Martin out.