• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

US Patent Office Cancels Trademark for Washington

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The United States Patent and Trademark Office has canceled six federal trademark registrations for the name of the Washington Redskins, ruling that the name is “disparaging to Native Americans” and thus cannot be trademarked under federal law that prohibits the protection of offensive or disparaging language.
The U.S. PTO’s Trademark Trial and Appeal Board issued a ruling in the case, brought against the team by plaintiff Amanda Blackhorse, Wednesday morning.

“We decide, based on the evidence properly before us, that these registrations must be cancelled because they were disparaging to Native Americans at the respective times they were registered,” the board wrote in its opinion.

There's more to the article in the link

In Landmark Decision, U.S. Patent Office Cancels Trademark For Redskins Football Team | ThinkProgress

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You beat me to posting this info, Jim.

Definitely a landmark win for those parties, insisting the name Redskins is a 'derogatory' term. I find it comical, but that's of no import. A decision has been reached. So be it.

Should be very interesting to see how this all plays out. But it is definitively a very VALID shot across the bow, as it is quite possible that this decision, could likely impact in the 'millions of dollars' the revenues of the skins franchise. That's how you get things changed, affect the bottom line and potential sponsorships.

We'll see how it plays out at the state level and/or any appeal, if that is even a course that can be pursued.

My opinion has been stated enough times in regards to 'content and context' and civil liberties, with regards to this issue so I'm not gonna beat the proverbial dead horse.

I'm sure this will come as validation for those posters who feel 'an epic injustice' towards the NAs has been addressed. Well, I continue to posit that this will do absolutely NOTHING towards impacting the REAL issues/difficulties that today's NAs face within our country today.

Too bad, public policy towards NAs doesn't have such a ground swell of outrage. About Changes that could actually help and positively impact policies.

But at least no one will use the word 'redskin' when discussing Our NA brothers.

poprocksncoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just getting ridiculous :L

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I am Irish... I am offended by the name 'FIGHTING' Irish... and a logo of a leprechaun.... Notre Dame must be held accountable for this heinous stereotype. We must put a stop to this once and for all.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That may quite possibly be the DUMBEST post I've ever seen.

The Redskins BY DEFINITION IS A RACIAL SLUR.

There is no comparison to that and the term Cowboy, or viking, or celtic, or anything else. This is really not a debate outside of people too blinded by their own racism to see the facts for what they are.

In essence, you value a football team's right to be named a slur over how it affects real people. That's the bottom line here.

Every major US tribe has signed off on this......there really isn't any disagreement nor is it a controversy. It's only controversial to those who want to DECIDE who is offended and who isn't.

Just change the name and move on.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am Irish... I am offended by the name 'FIGHTING' Irish... and a logo of a leprechaun.... Notre Dame must be held accountable for this heinous stereotype. We must put a stop to this once and for all.

Shaddup you drunk Mick

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is no comparison to that and the term Cowboy, or viking, or celtic, or anything else. This is really not a debate outside of people too blinded by their own racism to see the facts for what they are.

In essence, you value a football team's right to be named a slur over how it affects real people. That's the bottom line here.

Every major US tribe has signed off on this......there really isn't any disagreement nor is it a controversy. It's only controversial to those who want to DECIDE who is offended and who isn't.

Agree to respectfully disagree. :suds:

If you can't see this issue as a slippery slope with regard to civil liberties, I don't have anything to add. You have the absolute right to feel the way you do. And so do I.

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry, but your post has to be the DUMBEST post I have ever seen.

You start out by saying it is racist, and you claim it is affecting real people. How the hell is a name that has been in use for a few decades affecting anyone other than the person that wants their 15 minutes of fame?

Yes, this means a few $$$ for the Washington Redskins, but what about every other team or school out there? The HS that my Dad went to was the Chiefs, my Mom was a Redmen, and how much is it going to cost the schools to change? Has there been outrage at the local levels? No there has not been, this proves that you sir are the real racist, and the tribes that signed on are also the true racist, not the team and NFL.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but your post has to be the DUMBEST post I have ever seen.

You start out by saying it is racist, and you claim it is affecting real people. How the hell is a name that has been in use for a few decades affecting anyone other than the person that wants their 15 minutes of fame?

Yes, this means a few $$$ for the Washington Redskins, but what about every other team or school out there? The HS that my Dad went to was the Chiefs, my Mom was a Redmen, and how much is it going to cost the schools to change? Has there been outrage at the local levels? No there has not been, this proves that you sir are the real racist, and the tribes that signed on are also the true racist, not the team and NFL.

The word BY DEFINITION IS A RACIAL SLUR. Try picking up a dictionary.

And American Indians have been fighting this for DECADES, not weeks as some of you seem to imagine. The problem is they only make up 1% of the population, so most of you simply ignored their objections.

You have no ground to stand on. You, and those that think like you, ARE WRONG. It's not a debate or discussion.

FACT - it IS a racial slur.
FACT - EVERY American Indian tribe has signed documentation AGAINST the use of the term
FACT - the truth is in front of you, but you CHOOSE to support the lies.

Continue to wallow in your ignorance. The name will be forcibly changed, it's just a matter of time, and RIGHTFULLY so.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The word BY DEFINITION IS A RACIAL SLUR. Try picking up a dictionary.

And American Indians have been fighting this for DECADES, not weeks as some of you seem to imagine. The problem is they only make up 1% of the population, so most of you simply ignored their objections.

You have no ground to stand on. You, and those that think like you, ARE WRONG. It's not a debate or discussion.

FACT - it IS a racial slur.
FACT - EVERY American Indian tribe has signed documentation AGAINST the use of the term
FACT - the truth is in front of you, but you CHOOSE to support the lies.

Continue to wallow in your ignorance. The name will be forcibly changed, it's just a matter of time, and RIGHTFULLY so.

FACT: simply because a dictionary (with continuous changing nuances to definition) declares a word 'possibly' used as a derogatory term, DOES NOT necessarily validate that the word itself is racist. It must ALSO include content and context to be determined racist.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree:

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FACT: simply because a dictionary (with continuous changing nuances to definition) declares a word 'possibly' used as a derogatory term, DOES NOT necessarily validate that the word itself is racist. It must ALSO include content and context to be determined racist.

Exactly. The correct definition of the 'n word' is ignorant. Does anyone actually use it in that form? No, people use it for it's racist meaning. I have never in my life heard someone use the word 'redskin' as an insult.