• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Untold: Malice at the Palace

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys have to start recognizing what a lot of these so called "Documentaries" are today.
They are nothing more than a Public Relations infomercial to redirect blame.

This "documentary" was produced for the sole purpose to redirect blame away from the players.
What? ...did you think it was an accident that 90% of all the interviews were players?

And as soon as you see Jim Gray, you know something stinks. That guy will say whatever you want for a dollar.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And my god does JO hate Artest now and rightfully so

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys have to start recognizing what a lot of these so called "Documentaries" are today.
They are nothing more than a Public Relations infomercial to redirect blame.

This "documentary" was produced for the sole purpose to redirect blame away from the players.
What? ...did you think it was an accident that 90% of all the interviews were players?

And as soon as you see Jim Gray, you know something stinks. That guy will say whatever you want for a dollar.

Nobody should be giving a free pass to Artest. He deserves as much blame as anyone. Maybe more.

SJax and JO both agreed they deserved to be punished for their actions. They went well past self defense during the brawl. Especially SJax.

However, once fans start coming on the court during a brawl?

That is no different from someone breaking into your house IMO. You have to assume that anyone entering the fray isn’t there to make peace and react accordingly.

The fans and the lack of security deserve more blame than they got at the time. And that isn’t even really debateable.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My blame is with the idiot who threw the beer. It was just an on court fight between the players.

We've seen that same scenario play out many times. Without that beer being thrown, the whole thing ends with some technical fouls and a couple of guys kicked out of the game.

Besides who the fuck intentionally throws a perfectly good beer?

Dude needed his ass kicked just on that principle alone.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the lack of security deserve more blame than they got at the time. And that isn’t even really debateable.

And yet you make no mention that the cops that did show up were criticized.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stern handled it poorly as well.

I think Stern handled it about the only way he could. The NBA was having a bit of an image problem because of how violent the game became in the 90's and was trying to change that. Players going into the stands to fight fans was an incredibly bad look.

If what the players say is true, Stern never spoke to them to get their stories, then that was a mistake on Sterns part. Maybe it could have justified lesser punishment. But the punishment still had to be harsh.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's never a justification, but it gives a reason as to why

All the blame was given to the three Pacers players and, at the time, the NBA was so determined to keep the league relevant after the departure of MJ, that the fans were pretty much given a free pass on the whole thing.
^^^This.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My blame is with the idiot who threw the beer. It was just an on court fight between the players.

We've seen that same scenario play out many times. Without that beer being thrown, the whole thing ends with some technical fouls and a couple of guys kicked out of the game.

Besides who the fuck intentionally throws a perfectly good beer?

Dude needed his ass kicked just on that principle alone.
It was diet pop, but that was beside the point.
I think Stern handled it about the only way he could. The NBA was having a bit of an image problem because of how violent the game became in the 90's and was trying to change that. Players going into the stands to fight fans was an incredibly bad look.

If what the players say is true, Stern never spoke to them to get their stories, then that was a mistake on Sterns part. Maybe it could have justified lesser punishment. But the punishment still had to be harsh.
It was in general a time when the general public was probably over sensitive toward its fans.

If I were to switch sports, less than two months after this incident Randy Moss fake-mooned the crowd in Green Bay and it was blown up to ridiculous proportions at the time. Nowadays, people just look back at laugh at it…

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have been crying for years about how the Pacers were robbed of a title.

They would not have won that year. The Spurs were very good and Artest was very unstable.

SJax and O’Neal got more severe punishments and more blame than they deserved.

But Artest?

Hell no.

The fans were completely out of line. The man who threw the cup should have served jail time along with several others. But Artest probably should have too.

He ran into the stands and attacked a fan, incidentally not even the one who threw the cup. That is not alright.

He is fortunate he got to resume his NBA career at all.
I personally said for years that Artest was disturbed and needed professional counseling at the minimum and was glad when I heard he was finally getting it.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had no idea this existed. As soon as I read what Shaqdaddy wrote, I stopped posting and watched it.

Good show. I had no idea the idiot who started the whole thing was identified. What an asshat that guy was. Came off like he gave zero fucks about what he did. Too bad Artest got the wrong guy because it would have been great to see the instigator get his ass kicked.

I also liked that it was determined they were defending themselves. That part of the story needs to get out.

They may have left it out but Artest made amends with that guy. And the guy was an alcoholic with multiple issues around jt

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I can tell the only things the fans got were fines and stadium bans.

Multiple people were charged with misdemeanors and the cup thrower got 30 days in jail