• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UCLA makes huge mistake, hires Alford

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think they regret this hire yet?

Steve Alford?s tenure at UCLA is not off to a rousing start | CollegeBasketballTalk

UCLA athletic administrators were stunned. They had signed Alford to a seven-year, $18.2-million contract with the expectation that his hiring would invigorate an apathetic fan base. They expected him to be greeted with open arms.

Guerrero was also questioned — about whether UCLA had properly vetted its new coach and investigated what happened at Iowa. He said he “clearly discussed” the Pierce situation with Alford before hiring him.

However, when Alford was asked a similar question, he said the topic never came up.

Guerrero later amended his comment, saying he discussed Pierce with his staff and Alford’s representatives, but not with Alford.

The controversy prompted one group of UCLA fans to circulate a petition calling for Guerrero to be fired because he had “disregarded Mr. Alford’s history of defending a sex offender or did little to no research into Mr. Alford’s past.”

With little publicity, the petition generated nearly 2,000 signatures.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow!! USC made the better basketball hire than UCLA!! Who could have seen that coming?

And I'm not even being sarcastic!! As a Trojan, it truly surprises me!!

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Steve Alford is a dick head. Some of the crap he did with the media...anyone who quesitoned what he was doing really put him in the asshole category. I think the same thing about Coach Cal, John Thompson and a slew of other head coaches.

Iowa fans have reason to not like the guy.

New Mexico fans loved the guy. Sure, he got beat up in the NCAA Tournament....but that was with NM. Taking knives to a gun fight will do that.

If you can bring NM into the light, I think he stands a good chance of taking the likes of UCLA to the top of the PAC. He knows X's and O's. But like all coaches, he'll need players. I think he can get them at UCLA.

MellowYellow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCLA realized what type of program it has become. It had 2 mid major coaches turn them down.
You should have seen the Wooden Classic last year against SDSU. Quiet fans and their students didn't even bother to travel one hour south.

MellowYellow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an SDSU fan, I'm glad he's gone from NM.

MellowYellow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow!! USC made the better basketball hire than UCLA!! Who could have seen that coming?

And I'm not even being sarcastic!! As a Trojan, it truly surprises me!!
USC got a great recruiter in assistant Tony Bland. I wish we could afford him. He brought a lot as a player and assistant at SDSU.