• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UCLA and USC to the Big Ten

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UNC would be giving up the massive power that they currently hold in the ACC if they left. I think they try to stay there as long as possible until there’s no choice but to leave.

JD Racer Dad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UNC would be giving up the massive power that they currently hold in the ACC if they left. I think they try to stay there as long as possible until there’s no choice but to leave.
The Captain of the Titanic was pretty powerful for a period of time. :tongue:

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Captain of the Titanic was pretty powerful for a period of time. :tongue:
True. They’ll still be in a better position to get a spot somewhere than some of the other ACC schools like a Boston College though.
If the ACC dissolves, I think both Virginia schools, UNC, Duke, Clemson, GT and both Florida schools will all be fine. Maybe Louisville could end up in the Big XII? I could see the rest maybe doing a merger with the AAC.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made a few modifications by switching some teams. I booted Kansas and Vanderbilt...added Colorado St and UTSA.

NFL type format.
-Two conferences.
-Four divisions.
-Play 8 division games and 4 non-division games.
-Four division winners and four wildcards in each conference qualify for playoffs.
-Playoff teams seeded 1-8 in each conference...(#1 vs #8); (#2 vs #7); (#3 vs #6); (#4 vs #5).
-Each conference champion plays for CFA Championship (CFA = College Football Association).
-Max number of games a team would play is 16.

Western Conference (36)
Midwest (9)--Illinois, Iowa, Iowa St, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin.
Mountain (9)--Arizona, Arizona St, Boise St, BYU, Colorado, Colorado St, Texas Tech, UNLV, Utah.
Pacific (9)--Cal, Oregon, Oregon St, San Diego St, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington St.
Southwest (9)--Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas St, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, UTSA.

Eastern Conference (36)
Atlantic (9)--Boston College, Duke, Maryland, Penn St, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech.
Central (9)--Cincinnati, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan, Michigan St, Notre Dame, Ohio St, West Virginia.
South (9)--Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Memphis, Miss St, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Wake Forest.
Southeast (9)--Clemson, Florida, Florida St, Georgia Tech, Miami, NC St, North Carolina, South Carolina, UCF.

JD Racer Dad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. They’ll still be in a better position to get a spot somewhere than some of the other ACC schools like a Boston College though.
If the ACC dissolves, I think both Virginia schools, UNC, Duke, Clemson, GT and both Florida schools will all be fine. Maybe Louisville could end up in the Big XII? I could see the rest maybe doing a merger with the AAC.
Hope you know I was having a little fun.
It seems we may be headed towards the Big 2 and the Big Little Brother.
Big Little Brother coming from all the Big 12, some PAC 12 and some coming from the ACC if and when.

Rumor is Az, Az St, Utah and Colorado are meeting with the Big 12 tomorrow.
And that probably wont be their 1st conversation. :)

That said many in the ACC may be disappointed. But a Big Little Brother will be better than no life boat.
Just not BIG Ten or SEC money, still might be better than ACC money and way ahead of AAC or WAC.

The Big 12 has a chance to go coast to coast like the BIG Ten, probably brings value.
New head guy for the Big 12 seems more nimble and big picture thinker.

Fun stuff
UVA and VT don't bring much revenue like Oregon. Maybe SEC takes one.
If UNC goes BIG, Duke doesn't bring additional revenue ie dilutes the Full Share of all the other schools.
GT brings nothing to the SEC but the existing BIG Ten alumni in Atlanta might bring enough revenue like Maryland and Rutgers did.
And the ESPN ACC GT deal would move to FOX.
Clemson has reputation but does it bring addition revenue to the SEC, not much and they are not AAU and not likely to get the ND waiver.
Florida State and Miami are not AAU and wont add revenue.
All that might be good for the Big 12.
BC, Pitt and Syracuse seem to be on an island.

There used to be 30 independents, might be more of those for a while.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Little Brother coming from all the Big 12, some PAC 12 and some coming from the ACC if and when.

That said many in the ACC may be disappointed. But a Big Little Brother will be better than no life boat.
Just not BIG Ten or SEC money, still might be better than ACC money and way ahead of AAC or WAC.

The Big 12 has a chance to go coast to coast like the BIG Ten, probably brings value.

Fun stuff
If UNC goes BIG, Duke doesn't bring additional revenue ie dilutes the Full Share of all the other schools.
GT brings nothing to the SEC but the existing BIG Ten alumni in Atlanta might bring enough revenue like Maryland and Rutgers did.
Clemson has reputation but does it bring addition revenue to the SEC, not much and they are not AAU and not likely to get the ND waiver.

The local news this morning was talking about Colorado possibly moving to the BigTen. And how they could start playing their "rival" Nebraska again.

The all time series is Huskers 49-20-2. That's not a rivalry. That's getting slapped around by your neighbor.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the ACCs GOR is going to make that move difficult at the moment

JD Racer Dad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The local news this morning was talking about Colorado possibly moving to the BigTen. And how they could start playing their "rival" Nebraska again.

The all time series is Huskers 49-20-2. That's not a rivalry. That's getting slapped around by your neighbor.
Colorado and Denver specifically has a large BIG Ten alumni base too.
It is disproportionately Nebraska but large all the same.
Might be the tipping point.

Dang this stuff is fun to watch when you already have a seat at the table.
Not so much my son-in-law and his family, NC State fans, unsettling.
My brother an Oregon State alumni.

Maryland for me.

JD Racer Dad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some say it will take 8 votes to overturn it.
And there are those already counting.

Shoot ESPN might even play if they got a better package with the plus and minuses.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fun stuff

Oh yeah, I didn’t take it seriously.
Agree that Oregon probably offers more overall than UVA would but I believe UVA does offer plenty of benefits in areas other than sports as well, not that that’d play much of a factor. VT would be the one going to the SEC. They fit that culture better like I believe UVA fits better with the schools in the B1G.
I feel like GT would be B1G bound because they were being discussed when Maryland decided to leave.
Not sure if the B1G would like to go down to Florida and grab one of those schools but can see the Big XII picking up at least one of them.
As for Clemson, if it’s not them going to the SEC, they’d be Big XII bound I think. Don’t know if the B1G would have interest in them or not.
I’d add Wake Forest and NC State to possible schools in the ACC that’d have trouble finding a conference to join. Still think Louisville can get in the Big XII.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colorado and Denver specifically has a large BIG Ten alumni base too.
It is disproportionately Nebraska but large all the same.
Might be the tipping point.

Dang this stuff is fun to watch when you already have a seat at the table.
Not so much my son-in-law and his family, NC State fans, unsettling.
My brother an Oregon State alumni.

Maryland for me.

It just seems really weird to have schools on the west coast part of the BigTen. Time for a conference name change.

I'm a lifelong Ohio State. But have some ties to CU. Both my sons graduated from CU. And I'm in Boulder. I don't think anything short of miracle can get the Buffs football program going in the right direction. Been watching them get in their own way since the '10 season. Coach after coach. And the same bad results.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shoot ESPN might even play if they got a better package with the plus and minuses.
I think that’s the biggest obstacle to overcome for any of those schools leaving. Still hope they’re able to survive though.

JD Racer Dad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, I didn’t take it seriously.
Agree that Oregon probably offers more overall than UVA would but I believe UVA does offer plenty of benefits in areas other than sports as well, not that that’d play much of a factor. VT would be the one going to the SEC. They fit that culture better like I believe UVA fits better with the schools in the B1G.
I feel like GT would be B1G bound because they were being discussed when Maryland decided to leave.
Not sure if the B1G would like to go down to Florida and grab one of those schools but can see the Big XII picking up at least one of them.
As for Clemson, if it’s not them going to the SEC, they’d be Big XII bound I think. Don’t know if the B1G would have interest in them or not.
I’d add Wake Forest and NC State to possible schools in the ACC that’d have trouble finding a conference to join. Still think Louisville can get in the Big XII.
The BIG Ten and the SEC can be slow and selective.
I wonder if the Big 12 would go to 20 or even 24 quickly.
They aren't trying to be the BIG or the SEC.
But they'd be way ahead of the WAC and the AAC in product.

If they can keep the current level of ACC and PAC 12 money as Full Share it'd be a big win.
Or close.

Didn't the WAC and Mnt West try that or was it a different Group of Five bunch.

JD Racer Dad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that’s the biggest obstacle to overcome for any of those schools leaving. Still hope they’re able to survive though.
I bet there will be back room handshakes about what their options are before that happens. :)

None them have a really strong hand like Texas, Ok, UCLA and USC did.
Big boys with big markets.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd imagine ESPN only goes along with that if they believe the SEC is getting the most valuable pieces

JD Racer Dad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd imagine ESPN only goes along with that if they believe the SEC is getting the most valuable pieces
Yeah and the Big 12 could help with that by giving ESPN a piece of their product.
The rumor was they are mad at ESPN for facilitating the Texas/Ok move to the SEC and would favor FOX.
But they have a new guy from the outside and he may not let yesterday ruin tomorrow.

They negotiate next after the BIG.
And they might have 4 from the PAC already.
With the 4 new guys already, that's 8 that are just glad to be here. :)

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The BIG Ten and the SEC can be slow and selective.
I wonder if the Big 12 would go to 20 or even 24 quickly.
They aren't trying to be the BIG or the SEC.
But they'd be way ahead of the WAC and the AAC in product.

If they can keep the current level of ACC and PAC 12 money as Full Share it'd be a big win.
Or close.

Didn't the WAC and Mnt West try that or was it a different Group of Five bunch.
I think that the B12 will do that to be defensive, unlike the B1G and SEC, which we’re doing it in a position of power.
The only thing I can see the AAC doing is trying to kill off what’s left of C-USA. Them or the MAC will probably try to poach Western Kentucky and MTSU, not that those moves move the needle on anything in the grand scheme of things.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't and that's why they are broke.
They have 4 schools in the same market of North Carolina.
Hard to overcome.
That was never about “market share” though. Those are core Acc schools from the era where conferences were about regional solidarity.

JD Racer Dad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was never about “market share” though. Those are core Acc schools from the era where conferences were about regional solidarity.
I don't disagree about how they got there. It just one of the major problems the Carolina Mafia has to overcome in generating revenue.