• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tyrann Mathieu cut from LSU

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
their problems started long before they finally got caught, but we fans simplify it like a snapshot, like its their first try.

I don't think we know the details do we? I think all we know is that he chose to apparently risk $1+ million paycheck for the sake of doing drugs. Also, wasn't this his 2nd or 3rd offense? Not that it would matter, but if that is correct then it is hardly a "snapshot".

Also can you confine your comments to only yourself? Saying "we fans", especially when I know you are putting me in that company is not cool I can speak for myself- thanks!

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
their problems started long before they finally got caught, but we fans simplify it like a snapshot, like its their first try.

These guys get the chance of a lifetime, other people would kill for the opportunity. I just don't get it.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
These guys get the chance of a lifetime, other people would kill for the opportunity. I just don't get it.

I think that's the point. Unless you or someone close to you has dealt with addiction, you (we) can't get it.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without being an addict this question can't be answered. The only question that any non-addict could answer along these lines is 'what addiction would you not be willing to ATTEMPT to give up for $1+M.

Although, it ultimately comes down to what you feel an addiction is and means. Is it a psychological thing, or is it a physical thing? Is it both?

I think a lot of people would value life at >$1M, however a lot of people are unable to give up addictions knowing it is going to kill them.

Imac, your question is essentially the inverse of mine; thus, if a non-addict can't answer the question as I presented it, they would not be able to answer yours either.

I understand the point you're trying to make and perhaps addiction is a mischaracterization here. This kid was a top college football player so his drug use (if it even was drugs) it didn't impede him from playing at that level. Now, if his violation was PED's, that is another discussion.

However, if his violation was recreational drug use, then essentially the kid was given the following choice. Don't do the drug and earn millions; or, do the drug and lose millions as well as your scholarship.

I'm going to say he failed that multiple choice quiz. Now if you and Deep (assuming that is who you meant when you said (we) in your previous post) want to believe that having an addiction (if that is even a correct characteristic in this case) is a suitable excuse for throwing away millions then perhaps you two know addictions in such a way that would justify such a position.

I am certainly no expert on addictions, but I know them well enough and I'm saying that out of 100 people in the same position as this kid 99 get the answer correct on the quiz. Even if I’m wrong, the kid is still an idiot – regardless.

1911Alaska

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all - addiction is a human condition and can be extremely difficult, but for what would you overcome your addiction? If someone came to 99% of the population addicted to drugs and promised them a million+ dollars if they stopped doing drugs - I think 99% of that population would find a way to give up drugs - There is no judgment going on here, just an accurate assessment - he's a tard.

Not necessarily true. My emphasis program in my college degree right now is substance abuse and treatment. Like Imac stated you cannot really state this because you are not an addict yourself (assuming). You also do not know how long he has had a drug problem or even what type of drug he is doing. Regardless though; it is very possible to get addicted to marijuana. It is not a physical addiction because there are no addictive chemicals in marijuana. It is psychological addiction where the person has convinced him/herself that they are addicted or need marijuana to get through the day.

People do drugs every day, people try to quit every day, some succeed and some fail. The amount of money being offered can mean nothing to many addicts. There are many addicts who want to quit but just can't even though the drug is ruining their life, has taken their friends and families away, and will most likely kill them one day. Every drug addict knows this and is aware of it but yet just cannot stop. So the millions of dollars being offered may seem tempting but in the long run it is not enough and the addict will relapse.

Many addicts start using drugs originally because its "cool" or they are "curious" but they continue to use drugs because the drugs make them feel numb, whole, complete etc. The drugs give a sensation that no amount of money, car, clothes, and object can give them. For some it may but it is only temporary and they will end up relapsing. For the majority the "emptiness" they feel is filled when they are high. And to get clean and to stay clean they need to find something that can fill that "hole" that is inside of them.

I hate to bring religion into this but religion and believing in something no matter what it is; is a very popular option that helps many drug addicts stay clean. Because it gives them something to believe and something to live for. That is something that millions of dollars cannot do.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily true. My emphasis program in my college degree right now is substance abuse and treatment.

I am beginning to think NBC is missing a reality show opportunity with this. I allowed my disgust to influence the lack of specifics with my comments. I'll own that and try to be more specific.

Obviously there are skid-row addicts so far gone they would/could not stop for any amount of money. Obviously there are multi-millionaires with addictions who probably would not quit for another million dollars.

So speaking in terms specific to Mathieu's example (including all applicable and reasonable assumptions) I believe only a very small minority would continue with an activity that would all but guarantee the loss of million(s).

I further believe, given both the opportunities and incentives afforded to those (like Mathieu) any decision to continue with an activity that would all but guarantee the loss of million(s) would justify calling that individual an idiot.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bemular- as someone who has worked with addicts I can say that your viewpoint is commonplace among those who have no experience with addiction. You see things as black and white. Yet inside the grey area there are some disturbing realities. Most drug users don't believe they have a problem, realize they have a problem but believe they can quit at anytime, or have attempted to quit but don't have the willpower to see it through. Now people in the first two categories see themselves as invincible in life. They can carry on and do drugs and feel they will not have repercussions. My feelings is this is where Tyrann fell into. He figured he was such a superstar that's little pot couldn't derail his train. Does this seem idiotic to an average person? Yes. However their mind set is not like yours or mine. And as to you 1 million if you quit scenario - true addicts can rarely quit of their own accord regardless of the reward. They need help to get out of the ditch they've dug - hence rehab facilities. If you look at the statistical facts, even the wealthy elite that attend Betty Ford relapse on a majority basis - and these are people with tens of millions on the line...

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bemular- as someone who has worked with addicts I can say that your viewpoint is commonplace among those who have no experience with addiction. You see things as black and white. Yet inside the grey area there are some disturbing realities. Most drug users don't believe they have a problem, realize they have a problem but believe they can quit at anytime, or have attempted to quit but don't have the willpower to see it through. Now people in the first two categories see themselves as invincible in life. They can carry on and do drugs and feel they will not have repercussions. My feelings is this is where Tyrann fell into. He figured he was such a superstar that's little pot couldn't derail his train. Does this seem idiotic to an average person? Yes. However their mind set is not like yours or mine. And as to you 1 million if you quit scenario - true addicts can rarely quit of their own accord regardless of the reward. They need help to get out of the ditch they've dug - hence rehab facilities. If you look at the statistical facts, even the wealthy elite that attend Betty Ford relapse on a majority basis - and these are people with tens of millions on the line...

Well I'm offened!!!

(Actually, not really, but you seem like someone who could use some encouragement.)

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Oh my goodness! I'm sorry. I almost forgot...

Last edited by a moderator:

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think very simply said, being an addict causes you to make bad decisions. It changes your basic motivations - for most people, its 1. shelter, 2. food, 3. family, 4. money, etc. But as you get deeper into addiction the substance rises on that list.....until it hits the top, then stays there.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think very simply said, being an addict causes you to make bad decisions. It changes your basic motivations - for most people, its 1. shelter, 2. food, 3. family, 4. money, etc. But as you get deeper into addiction the substance rises on that list.....until it hits the top, then stays there.

This is as general as I can make it. If you asked someone who is not currently on drugs whether he'd stay off for a million dollars, most but not all would stay off it, regardless of the temptations to go back (though some will relapse). Heck, some will want to use the million to buy the drugs. If you ask someone currently on drugs, most if not all would attempt to quit, because even a druggie knows money (if not just for more money to buy drugs) but those who succeed would obviously be much lower. I won't get into numbers because then it gets argumentative, but what I just said sounds to be the truest statement that could be made, although it's very general. Whenever you add a number like 99%, it's hard to stick by it.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is as general as I can make it. If you asked someone who is not currently on drugs whether he'd stay off for a million dollars, most but not all would stay off it, regardless of the temptations to go back (though some will relapse).

What does that mean? Why would someone who is currently NOT taking drugs suddenly have difficulty staying off drugs if you offered him $1m? Do you mean former addicts who are now clean?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does that mean? Why would someone who is currently NOT taking drugs suddenly have difficulty staying off drugs if you offered him $1m? Do you mean former addicts who are now clean?

Sorry, that's what I mean. I skipped over the important qualifier. My fault. People who have "quit" fall back when they are with the same people, same environment, are depressed, or whatnot. I can't say why or whether I would, other than a lot of people do. Most have not been given the million dollar incentive (whether that be sports or lost business opportunity). What I basically meant was that a drunk person would make different decisions than a sober one. A drugged person would make different decisions than non-drugged people and even those who have quit and have incentive to stay off drugs, fall back. It may still be in some sense idiotic like you said, but I don't think it's 1% who are "idiots."

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, that's what I mean. I skipped over the important qualifier. My fault. People who have "quit" fall back when they are with the same people, same environment, are depressed, or whatnot. I can't say why or whether I would, other than a lot of people do. Most have not been given the million dollar incentive (whether that be sports or lost business opportunity). What I basically meant was that a drunk person would make different decisions than a sober one. A drugged person would make different decisions than non-drugged people and even those who have quit and have incentive to stay off drugs, fall back. It may still be in some sense idiotic like you said, but I don't think it's 1% who are "idiots."

Yeah, that still doesn't make any sense - can we just leave it here?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that still doesn't make any sense - can we just leave it here?

Yeah, let's leave it here. Some former addicts who are now clean are "idiotic" enough to let million dollars slip through their hands due to temptation. At least 1% anyway. I have no problem with you calling them idiots, I just think there are more idiots out there than 1%. But I'll leave it at that, because I know "99%" is just a phrase - the point is made and you're right.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, let's leave it here. Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah.

...Ooooh, and you were so close. ;) Yeah, saying blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, that makes even less sense than your previous post - perhaps now you can just let this go??

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...Ooooh, and you were so close. ;) Yeah, saying blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, that makes even less sense than your previous post - perhaps now you can just let this go??

I thought we were getting along well the past few weeks. I was agreeing with you civilly, but whatever.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought we were getting along well the past few weeks. I was agreeing with you civilly, but whatever.

Wrong again. I asked YOU civily to leave this alone and you refused, choosing instead to start a post with "Yeah, lets leave it here." And then you marched right into spewing more senseless crap.