• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Two Cowards and a bigot

Ties5o11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sort of like the Dolphins situation earlier in the year, its hard to know exactly what happened and everything from our point of view is speculation. BUT, I think it seems quite likely that Kluwe is just an annoying guy who runs his mouth about everything, and that he may have worn on Priefer over time. Organizations cut people all the time because they are not conducive to a good working environment, or because people simply don't like them around.

I remember reading a Kluwe article on Deadspin a few years back that made him seem like a whiny type, and this sort of falls in line. Also, here's a quote from an ESPN article* today:

"The NFL has become such a corporate mindset. They want to make sure there's no distractions anywhere, ever," Kluwe said. "In the ideal NFL world, you show up to play on Sundays, and that's it -- they take you out of your box and put you back in. Until we get past the idea that money is the overwhelming influence and you can't live your life at the same time, people will view activism as a distraction."

Calling the NFL corporate and complaining that you cant only come in once a week (when he's making 1.5 million!?!?) is ridiculous.

However, if Priefer made the "round the gays up comment", that is very out of line... but it lacks much value when it is brought up a few years later by a guy with questionable integrity.

*Chris Kluwe, former member of Minnesota Vikings, says he was cut due to views - ESPN

Ties5o11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only in the sense that both were wrong to voice their opinion on company time or in a setting that directly affected their employer....An employer has the right to fire anyone that they deem detrimental to their business...
You didn't see DD guy threatening to sue anybody or calling them names in the media after he was fired, but this guy is an angry jilted player that is looking for revenge and a payday, just like that weird dude from the Dolphins is too....Both are a total joke, and their careers are over, book it !! :clap::clap::clap:

I agree with your post except for the bold part. Jonathan Martin had nothing to do with the leak and was reportedly surprised the entire situation was leaked to the media. He just needed time away, and some agent or third party leaked it to the media to stir the pot and created that whole mess.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are free to disagree with Kluwe. I'm not exactly a proponent of anything "gay", but I certainly don't care to involve myself with what 2 consenting adults do in this country. I like to do a lot of shit other people don't like or agree with as I'm sure the rest of you do too.

Anyway, that's about what I get from Kluwe. I think he's far from an idiot actually, a little vocal yeah, an idiot? It appears to me that quite a few can't even understand what the fuck he's saying and will tear him apart just because the topic has something to do with gay people.

I've read a couple of his things and most go a lot deeper than what most people take it for, but then that doesn't surprise me as most will skim something just to look for points to argue about. They don't really care what the message is.

I think Kluwe knew exactly how his NFL time would end. He always came off as someone that did realize there was a lot more to living than the NFL. He may have different views, be a bit vocal, but he is observant and thoughtful about the things going on around him. I hardly think that qualifies him as an "idiot"

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I find bull shit about Kluwe's claim. He says that the owner, Zygi Wilf, came to him with support for his cause. If the coaches are giving you a hard time, why do you not seek out said owner who supports your cause? If you worked at a normal job and your supervisor was harassing you, you would go up the chain of command, no?

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and sometimes people in power know how to put on one hell of a front. Maybe Wilf knew he cost too much, wanted to squash and connection to his eventual replacing to anything "gay rights" related because it does seem to generate a giant media shit storm every time it happens and this was simply a show of "good owner" to help keep any stuff from starting and coming back to the team's front office. Wilf didn't get to be where he is by being dumb about things. Could you imagine if he would have said, "hey Kluwe, keep it down" and the media got wind of it???

Kluwe was a decent enough punter at the time. It's not like he was garbage, but he was making a lot. a lot of teams would ask a guy like that to take a pay cut. If Kluwe's recollection of the events is even partially true, I don't have much doubt they decided to wash their hands of him because of his involvement in the gay marriage issue in MN. Or maybe not i guess. A decent staff would have approached a decent veteran about a pay cut before cutting contact and then cutting the player and it's pretty apparent the vikings did not have a decent staff :) Why do you ponder Ponder?

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was not "on company time." He wasn't tweeting and talking about stuff during practice and games.

And an employer cannot fine someone because they do not like their opinion, or because that person is stating their opinion. Kluwe never threatened to sue anybody. He didn't ask for a payday. And he already said that his career is over, so it's not a bold statement to say his career is over, book it. You just made a bunch of stuff up and called him weird. Kind of hypocritical to criticize someone for calling people names and then call him names.

Here's a hanky, your closet awaits you.....Have a nice day !!!!:rollseyes:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was not "on company time." He wasn't tweeting and talking about stuff during practice and games.

And an employer cannot fine someone because they do not like their opinion, or because that person is stating their opinion. Kluwe never threatened to sue anybody. He didn't ask for a payday. And he already said that his career is over, so it's not a bold statement to say his career is over, book it. You just made a bunch of stuff up and called him weird. Kind of hypocritical to criticize someone for calling people names and then call him names.

Just to give you a heads up it would almost be impossible for him to prove that this is why he was fired. He would most likely have to have either witnesses to this or an actual recording of them saying these things of why he was fired. Otherwise a player can be fired for just about any reason. Heck they could claim that he was drawing unwanted attention toward the organization with his comments and that is why he was fired as they can do that.

Think about all the people these days who have been fired for bad-mouthing their jobs on facebook and it getting back to the head people. They weren't posting on company time but because it maybe brought unwanted attention or bad rep to the business they were fired. There was a lady not too long ago fired for being too pretty. So this really shouldn't be a huge deal as you are trying to make it out to be.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the termination had anything to do with activism.

It had more to do with being paid the twice the going punter rate with half the average results.
They can get two players (including a better punter) for HALF the price.

The NFL is a business.
It is there to make profits. Players get cut all the time.

Ego is a funny thing.
It is not unusual in all careers for employees to lash out at falsely perceived agendas.

Most people cannot accept workplace criticism or termination actions that were fairly administered.
Ego makes them believe it is a personal conspiracy against the individual with sinister agendas.

When in reality, business decisions are always COLD bottom line financial ones.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And an employer cannot fine someone because they do not like their opinion, or because that person is stating their opinion.

Sure they can. An employer can fire someone for virtually any reason aside from race, gender, and age.

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure they can. An employer can fire someone for virtually any reason aside from race, gender, and age.

You are correct, but you forgot to add few items. Here is the list that is protected: Age; Disability; Sexual Harassment; Sex; Religion; Race; Pregnancy; National Origin; Genetic Information; Harassment; Retaliation. None of this is new, and anyone who thinks that they can get fired for anything including these items is flat out wrong. This has been the law since Congress passed the Civil Rights Act of 1964; in fact this is Title VII of said act.

And yes, this is different than Phil Robertson as Phil was representing his Religious Freedoms guaranteed in the workplace under this Act. Kluwe, however is not supported by his religion, nor was he let go for religion.

France_Steve

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just to give you a heads up it would almost be impossible for him to prove that this is why he was fired. He would most likely have to have either witnesses to this or an actual recording of them saying these things of why he was fired. Otherwise a player can be fired for just about any reason. Heck they could claim that he was drawing unwanted attention toward the organization with his comments and that is why he was fired as they can do that.

Think about all the people these days who have been fired for bad-mouthing their jobs on facebook and it getting back to the head people. They weren't posting on company time but because it maybe brought unwanted attention or bad rep to the business they were fired. There was a lady not too long ago fired for being too pretty. So this really shouldn't be a huge deal as you are trying to make it out to be.

I know that it would be almost impossible to prove. I never said otherwise. I don't know why you brought this up. I specifically said that Kluwe was not planning on suing.

And I am not making this into a huge deal. I don't know how participating in the discussion is making it a huge deal. Can you explain that one to me? It seems that because I believe that Kluwe is correct that his views played a role in losing his job, which is contrary to the popular opinion on the board, I am making a huge deal.

The problem I have with your argument is the idea that it is ok if Kluwe was fired for his views because his activism may have been giving the Vikings a bad rep. He was standing up for human rights. If he was speaking out against racism nobody would say he was giving the Vikings a bad rep. I am going to paraphrase this argument. "Standing up for equality gave the Vikings a bad rep so its ok they fired him."

My only point was that I believe what he said and I believe that his views played a large part in him getting cut.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that it would be almost impossible to prove. I never said otherwise. I don't know why you brought this up. I specifically said that Kluwe was not planning on suing.

And I am not making this into a huge deal. I don't know how participating in the discussion is making it a huge deal. Can you explain that one to me? It seems that because I believe that Kluwe is correct that his views played a role in losing his job, which is contrary to the popular opinion on the board, I am making a huge deal.

The problem I have with your argument is the idea that it is ok if Kluwe was fired for his views because his activism may have been giving the Vikings a bad rep. He was standing up for human rights. If he was speaking out against racism nobody would say he was giving the Vikings a bad rep. I am going to paraphrase this argument. "Standing up for equality gave the Vikings a bad rep so its ok they fired him."

My only point was that I believe what he said and I believe that his views played a large part in him getting cut.

Ok maybe saying it gave the Vikings a bad rep was not the best wording. I meant it more in the way that his personal views on the subject became a major focal point that took focus away from the team. All of a sudden instead of discussing football it became about discussing gay rights. Now I know this is going to come across as insensitive but this would be like a player caught for steroids or drugs in that seems to be all that the media wants to focus on with not only that one player but the rest of the team as well in wanting to know their thoughts. This then begins to divide the locker room like we saw down in Miami this season. So it gives the Vikings a bad rep in players, coaches, and even fans begin to hate that everything begins to get focused towards that one topic instead of the actual care about football.

Now yes he might not be suing but he is playing the part of Martyr here. He is trying to make his firing into a civil rights issue. Again even if it did play a part in his getting fired then my guess is the team told him to put his personal issues aside to focus on the team and yet he kept speaking out. Kudos to him for sticking up for his beliefs but then to me I don't think he has a right to come out and bad mouth the team as I am guessing they warned him before hand. I mean they did know when they hired him that he had these views since he had spoken out about them before.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly to me this comes across as a somewhat vengeful, spiteful action of a coward. Maybe it is true, or maybe its embellished. I dont buy the half of it though. Kluwe was nothing to write home about and he was replaced by a cheaper option.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the termination had anything to do with activism.

It had more to do with being paid the twice the going punter rate with half the average results.
They can get two players (including a better punter) for HALF the price.

The NFL is a business.
It is there to make profits. Players get cut all the time.

Ego is a funny thing.
It is not unusual in all careers for employees to lash out at falsely perceived agendas.

Most people cannot accept workplace criticism or termination actions that were fairly administered.
Ego makes them believe it is a personal conspiracy against the individual with sinister agendas.

When in reality, business decisions are always COLD bottom line financial ones.

I agree. Every one of us would have difficulties if we were replaced at our jobs snd would attribute it to external factors instead of the fact that we can be replaced for a cheaper option. Not only was kluwe already easily replaceable, he didnt help much by creating drama. He also hasnt been picked up by another team. Good players are picked up by other teams. Pacman jones has been a disaster in the past and teams were still willing to gamble on him. Its all about money and talent. If you are good enough or cheap enough you will remain on the team, its a business and kluwe took it personal and imo took a really cheap shot at the ST coach. If I was that guy, I would be suing kluwe for slander.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
two cowards and a bigot....is this a thread about random people in a church?

Nah, it's about a coward searching for attention who finds out that no one cares but the people that are already sniffing his jock.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly to me this comes across as a somewhat vengeful, spiteful action of a coward. Maybe it is true, or maybe its embellished. I dont buy the half of it though. Kluwe was nothing to write home about and he was replaced by a cheaper option.

Say what you want about the guy, but he definitely is not a coward. A coward would not have spoken out to begin with...especially given his stance on the topic. Considering you actually have no idea what transpired...you not "buying the half of it" is a completely uneducated opinion at best. You're certainly entitled to it though.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now we have the gay card?
I am so tired of this. I give, you have worn me down. I am for gay marriage. But god&%^%$it don't ever ask for gay divorce?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kluwe wants to be an advocate and Social crusader. But he doesn't have clue one on how it works!

As most SportsHoopla posters know you advocate a position you better be ready to deal with the counter points or arguments from people that do not share your beliefs and values!

Boo fucking hoo Kluwe! Your a fucking punter that stirs up shit. Good for you but if the people you work for do not want that, don't bitch and complain when they part ways.If you hold to your cause you welcome the chance to move on and keep advocating your beliefs! You do not cry and get mad at the people that disagree with you.

Should Tim Tebow blast Jacksonville for not signing him because he thinks they could be anti Christian? Or the Broncos cut him because of his faith? It would turn into the same he said she said!

You want to be a crusader for the Lesbian Gay community you better get thicker skin.