• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

TV Throwdown: Friends vs Seinfeld

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Louis DePalma, Reverend Jim and Latka will be funny forever, the first 2 for sure. But as I think about it, my Mt Rushmore probably has more than 4 series. Cheers has to be there and I'm already up to 3 series from the same era.
I think by volume Cheers is the best sitcom. The most number of interesting characters and good episodes. I will say its not the best binge-watch. Diane is supposed to be annoying but if I watch like 3 episodes in a row with Diane I just have to stop.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think by volume Cheers is the best sitcom. The most number of interesting characters and good episodes. I will say its not the best binge-watch. Diane is supposed to be annoying but if I watch like 3 episodes in a row with Diane I just have to stop.
Did Cheers kill Shelley Long’s career? Type casting is a thing, and she did that character so well, she couldn’t be seen as anything else for decades following the end of Cheers.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Cheers kill Shelley Long’s career? Type casting is a thing, and she did that character so well, she couldn’t be seen as anything else for decades following the end of Cheers.

Watch her in Night Shift with Winkler & Keaton, great scene in kitchen where she’s in panties…..underrated funny movie….,

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Louis DePalma, Reverend Jim and Latka will be funny forever, the first 2 for sure. But as I think about it, my Mt Rushmore probably has more than 4 series. Cheers has to be there and I'm already up to 3 series from the same era.

Love Taxi, writing & cast were brilliant…..Sanford & Son, All in the Family, The Odd Couple and the Honeymooners have aged very well….Friends isn’t near any of those shows

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What, in your opinion, is the better show? Is it Friends or is it Seinfeld? Is it both? Do you hate both shows with such a passion that you'd rather watch The Voice on repeat?
Seinfeld. And while I'm here allow me to go on a rant. I'm sick of these dumbasses constantly talking about how the Seinfeld finale was the worst show ever. What did those people want to happen? Jerry marrying Elaine or some tired trope like that? I thought the finale show was fine, bringing back the memories of all the former characters. But truthfully, there shouldn't have even been a "finale". It was an old school comedy about nothing. There's no "closure" that we need. Each episode is meant to stand on it's own (except for the rare 2-episode "to be continued" shows). It is meant to live on in reruns where someone who only watched the show occasionally or never watched when it was first on the air can watch an episode and enjoy it without knowing the backstory of all the characters.

Also, Seinfeld never "jumped the shark". Plenty of great episodes in the last couple seasons. Serenity Now, Merv Griffin set, yada yada, the human fund. Would you rather not have these? To me the weaker episodes are some of the early ones where George is some sort of whiny Woody Allen character.

And in summary,....get the fuck off my lawn!

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can defintely appreciate that. But I thought her character worked better than Kirstie Alley's and I realize that's a minority opinion because her character was so annoying.

Seinfeld. And while I'm here allow me to go on a rant. I'm sick of these dumbasses constantly talking about how the Seinfeld finale was the worst show ever. What did those people want to happen? Jerry marrying Elaine or some tired trope like that? I thought the finale show was fine, bringing back the memories of all the former characters. But truthfully, there shouldn't have even been a "finale". It was an old school comedy about nothing. There's no "closure" that we need. Each episode is meant to stand on it's own (except for the rare 2-episode "to be continued" shows). It is meant to live on in reruns where someone who only watched the show occasionally or never watched when it was first on the air can watch an episode and enjoy it without knowing the backstory of all the characters.

Also, Seinfeld never "jumped the shark". Plenty of great episodes in the last couple seasons. Serenity Now, Merv Griffin set, yada yada, the human fund. Would you rather not have these? To me the weaker episodes are some of the early ones where George is some sort of whiny Woody Allen character.

Ditto on the finale.. I liked it. I think some fans perhaps hadn't fully appreciated that these 4 characters were not good or nice people and didn't like such a fine point being put on it. But their selfish and cynical behavior was always an essential part of the show's humor.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never liked either one......

Friends is for preppies and Sienfeld is nothing but a bunch of whiny Jews......

Only tie breaker is Kramer........hes the only reason to watch Sienfeld.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both shows are lousy.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seinfeld lousy?

:ban:

Seen about 4 episodes,Kramer was the best on the show....

Jerry,nothing funny about him........
Elaine......same
George,l......not funny and what a crybaby with a cravkling voiceto boot......

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seen about 4 episodes,Kramer was the best on the show....

Jerry,nothing funny about him........
Elaine......same
George,l......not funny and what a crybaby with a cravkling voiceto boot......
4 episodes? 4 episodes of 173. Season 1 was a different show from the rest of the seasons. Season 3 is when it started being great.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Larry David famously instituted a policy of "no hugging, no learning," meaning that the show must avoid sentimentality and moral lessons, and the characters must never learn or grow from their wrongdoings.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Larry David famously instituted a policy of "no hugging, no learning," meaning that the show must avoid sentimentality and moral lessons, and the characters must never learn or grow from their wrongdoings.
that's a shame

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's a shame
It's not a shame at all. It's by design. B/c the characters didn't grow from their experiences (although all but Jerry did change a little, particularly after the first season), the characters remained the same, but their situations kept changing, thereby allowing a viewer to pick the show up at just about any time and still "get it." If the characters actually learned and grew from their experiences, the show would've probably only lasted half as long (which would've been a great shame).

Last edited:

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 episodes? 4 episodes of 173. Season 1 was a different show from the rest of the seasons. Season 3 is when it started being great.
Ya,just 4 or 5,thats all it took.
I dont see those characters ever changing.......will never watch again.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's a shame
It is life, you have to know people that never learn from their mistakes and repeat the same nonsense over and over. Girls that complain they can't find a good guy, because they ignore all good guys and date the same type of guy.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya,just 4 or 5,thats all it took.
I dont see those charactets everchanging.......will never watch again.
Kramer and George in particular, do a complete 180 in personality from season 1. Elaine changes herself, Jerry a little.