• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

TV Series That Kinda Borrow Ideas

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The TV show House ........House lived at 221b Baker Street......He had a drug problem....He played musical instruments.......He had a friend named Wilson.....He was an egotistical jerk who was anti social
There was a guy by the name of Holmes..Sherlock that is....He had a drug problem.....Lived at 221 B Baker Street......He played the Violin.....Had a friend named Watson....And Holmes was a genius egotistical jerk....who was anti social

The House producers freely admit they were influenced by Sherlock Holmes

In the House double show Broken.....House goes into a mental hospital and causes problems...
House wears a stocking cap.....like RP McMurphy of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.....There are two patient's who have emotional difficulties who heal each other.......like in the movie David And Lisa

Everybody Loves Raymond has some plots that remind me of some of other previous situation comedy series

but I'm not accusing anyone of anything.......everybody is influenced by previous shows or movies

artists influence artists

And I love both TV series

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Americans was definitely influenced by Breaking Bad. An anti-hero (or two) who have a big secret they are keeping from their friends, family, and the law

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Americans was definitely influenced by Breaking Bad. An anti-hero (or two) who have a big secret they are keeping from their friends, family, and the law

I didn't watch it so correct me if I'm wrong but that sounds a lot like "Dexter".

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't watch it so correct me if I'm wrong but that sounds a lot like "Dexter".
I haven't seen Dexter (outside of 30 minutes of the pilot) so I wouldn't know.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you can find one ORIGINAL show/movie/book then I would be impressed... Shakespeare never wrote anything original, How can anyone from the modern day???

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Psych is about a guy who pretends to be a psychic detective.

Then comes The Mentalist, which is about a guy who pretends to be a psychic detective.

Psych even referenced The Mentalist a few times.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The TV show House ........House lived at 221b Baker Street......He had a drug problem....He played musical instruments.......He had a friend named Wilson.....He was an egotistical jerk who was anti social
There was a guy by the name of Holmes..Sherlock that is....He had a drug problem.....Lived at 221 B Baker Street......He played the Violin.....Had a friend named Watson....And Holmes was a genius egotistical jerk....who was anti social

The House producers freely admit they were influenced by Sherlock Holmes

Coming full-circle, the character Sherlock Holmes was inspired by a real-life doctor (Joseph Bell) who introduced scientific deduction to the author Arthur Conan Doyle, who was a MD himself.

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming full-circle, the character Sherlock Holmes was inspired by a real-life doctor (Joseph Bell) who introduced scientific deduction to the author Arthur Conan Doyle, who was a MD himself.

absolutely true.....

My favorite Holmes

Basil Rathbone
Jeremy Brett
and of course.Benedict Cumberpatch

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought the americans was a total ripoff of homeland

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brett >>> all others

I got the Granada collection 12-disc box set.

I'm Jealous......great series of the original period.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's bad enough to rip off another show-but to relive Full house with Fuller House?
movies and tv shows these days are so damn much re-runs as to why,I usually watch sports

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's bad enough to rip off another show-but to relive Full house with Fuller House?
movies and tv shows these days are so damn much re-runs as to why,I usually watch sports
That's basically what movie sequels are anymore. Especially when its a sequel made many years after the original. Cant stand comedy sequels that use the exact same jokes from the original like its supposed to be cleverly funny?

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's basically what movie sequels are anymore. Especially when its a sequel made many years after the original. Cant stand comedy sequels that use the exact same jokes from the original like its supposed to be cleverly funny?

how about sequels ,one after another?

How many fast cars,and furious people are there?
How many dim witted police officers to keep ,Steve Guttenberg employed?
How many planets are inhabited by apes?
:suds:

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you can find one ORIGINAL show/movie/book then I would be impressed... Shakespeare never wrote anything original, How can anyone from the modern day???
Nobody is saying it's bad to be influenced by different mediums. That's not the case at all. Now, I personally didn't enjoy the 10 episodes of The Americans I saw, but it's not because the plot is similar to Breaking Bad's. Hell, if you threw in every medium I like into one category (movies, comic books, TV shows, novels) Breaking Bad would be in the top 5 in that list. However, the character of Walter White was seriously influenced by the character of Tony Soprano. And The Sopranos drew influence from Goodfellas and The Godfather, and so on and so forth.

The only problem is when a certain things is influenced by something else, but does nothing to advance it or improve upon it. Basically, Smallville with the Superman brand or something like Larry Crowne.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do ya think Hogan's Heroes borrowed ideas from Stalag 17????????????????

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Psych is about a guy who pretends to be a psychic detective.

Then comes The Mentalist, which is about a guy who pretends to be a psychic detective.

Psych even referenced The Mentalist a few times.
That wasn't even borrowing, that was just a straight up rip off.