• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tuck Pointing

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has nothing to do with cars, but since there is no platform for home repairs, I'll throw this thread out for anyone who is familiar with tuck pointing. My wife and I are moving to Texas over the summer and we have some tuck pointing that needs to be done before we list our home. Our house currently sits on a clay foundation, and after it was first built in 2003, there was some of the normal settling. No major damage (I even had a structural engineer come out who confirmed is was nothing to worry about). Anyway, our realtor says we need to get the outer cracks filled. All the cracks are vertical and none are wider than maybe 1/8" to 1/4". The biggest crack runs down about twelve feet. There are three or four total. Do any of you know the costs of tuck pointing and how successful it is in repairing and removing the cosmetic features of cracks? Thanks!

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not that hard.
Get a pointing tool.

The most important thing is.............
GET A COLORING AGENT AND MIX UP A SMALL AMOUNT OF MORTAR MIX AND MATCH WHAT YOU HAVE.

If you don't, it will stick out like a sore thumb.

Some mortar originally had some color added to it. Some didn't.
If it didn't, your's has aged enough over 16 years that it's a little darker than it was, new.

They have black, red, etc, that you mix in the water before you add it to the dry mix.
Don't need huge amounts. Start small, then add more until you match your mortar.

Remove as much of the old loose cracked mortar as you can.

I'd have some kind of brush to work the joints after you point it up.
RX-DK-DIY120013_use-pointing-tr_s4x3.jpg

A wet sponge at the end to work the joint even more and to clean it off the brick.
A sponge like they use when the set tile. A couple of bucks at the home improvement stores.

Fill the crack as good as you can. Use the pointing tool to push it back in as far as it can go.
FH10MAR_REPMOR_09.JPG
Put down a tarp or blanket because you will put more mortar on the ground than you will in the cracks.
98_istock_brick-e1305566432245.jpg

Get on YouTube and watch someone doing it.

Good Luck

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cheated a bit by buying the shit in a tube you put in a caulking gun. I squirted that shit in the crack, ran my finger across and was done.

Fireplace_Mortar_-_Gray-450px.jpg

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are moving to NE Texas get ready for more and bigger foundation problems. This black clay is probably the worst shit to build on. Everyone here has cracks in their walls.

Everywhere else I lived in Texas is ok.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually had to do some of this to my step daughter's house.
Wasn't fun.
Wasn't that much.
Came out ok, but if there is a lot to do, I would hire a professional.