• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trout vs Cabrera

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, this isn't another debate about who should've won the MVP last year...

Looking through his stats earlier today, I was surprised to see Cabrera's numbers the past 5 weeks of the season (I know he was hurt, but didn't think they'd be that bad).

This made me then think of the arguments against Trout when it came to last year's MVP voting....quite a few on here who thought Cabrera was the MVP last year used the 'Trout didn't perform like an MVP down the stretch' as one of the knocks against him (I'm not naming names, but I do have a good memory and do remember a few who did argue that).

So in 2013, when Cabrera's September was worse than Trout's 2012 September, does the same argument apply as an argument against Cabrera's 2013 MVP case?

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone who thinks Cabrera should not have been the MVP while winning the triple crown and leading his team to a WS is a complete retard and should ride the short bus.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, this isn't another debate about who should've won the MVP last year...

Looking through his stats earlier today, I was surprised to see Cabrera's numbers the past 5 weeks of the season (I know he was hurt, but didn't think they'd be that bad).

This made me then think of the arguments against Trout when it came to last year's MVP voting....quite a few on here who thought Cabrera was the MVP last year used the 'Trout didn't perform like an MVP down the stretch' as one of the knocks against him (I'm not naming names, but I do have a good memory and do remember a few who did argue that).

So in 2013, when Cabrera's September was worse than Trout's 2012 September, does the same argument apply as an argument against Cabrera's 2013 MVP case?

holy crap Stan....now this post is brilliant....and thank you...you said it well enough for me that I don't need to say another word on this topic.

Chris Davis it is...2014 AL MVP

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone who thinks Cabrera should not have been the MVP while winning the triple crown and leading his team to a WS is a complete retard and should ride the short bus.

Talking about last season of course. This season just straight up looking at the numbers and team record, Cabrera is better. Trout is definitely the future of MLB.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Irrelevant to the discussion.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cabrera is a great hitter.

But Mike Trout is the best all around player in baseball, I don't even think it's close.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Irrelevant to the discussion.

Okay then talking about this season. Cabrera should get more MVP votes than Trout. I would say that Trout is probably the closest thing to the best all around player in the game but MVP voters look at team record and power numbers. Its not like Trout is way better than Cabrera or anything. His only advantage is defense.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay then talking about this season. Cabrera should get more MVP votes than Trout. I would say that Trout is probably the closest thing to the best all around player in the game but MVP voters look at team record and power numbers. Its not like Trout is way better than Cabrera or anything. His only advantage is defense.

Defense, speed, base running, also the ability to hit anywhere from the lead off hole to the 4 hole. Trout is miles ahead of Cabrera in terms of being a complete player. Does he have the power? No, but he has everything else, and is much better than Cabrera in multiple categories.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're not understanding the point of my original post.

The point isn't to compare the two...it's to see if the people who knocked Trout for 'not being great' down the stretch last year are doing the same to Cabrera this year...Trout has nothing to do with the argument this year...the topic of the thread is to point out the potential hypocrisy in some who held it against Trout that was he wasn't dominant late in the season last year.

And as for saying voters look at team record, the Angels won more reg season games in 2012 than the Tigers fyi.

Last edited by a moderator:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense, speed, base running, also the ability to hit anywhere from the lead off hole to the 4 hole. Trout is miles ahead of Cabrera in terms of being a complete player. Does he have the power? No, but he has everything else, and is much better than Cabrera in multiple categories.

Indeed.

Casual fans don't care about anything except power batting numbers. It's sad that it seems MVP voters are the same. It wasn't always this way.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is one of the more ridiculous things I've seen on these boards.

Okay... I'll say defense and speed are Trout's advantages, but seriously Cabrera is the best right now. He is the best player since Pujols and is Probably better than Pujols. Give Trout a few more years. Im not about to say he's the best in the game when Cabrera is doing what he's doing.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed.

Casual fans don't care about anything except power batting numbers. It's sad that it seems MVP voters are the same. It wasn't always this way.

Absolutely agree.

Casual fans don't see how much more value Trout has than Cabrera.

It comes down to little things like, how many more times can Trout get himself from 1st to 3rd on a base hit? How many times can Trout score from 2nd on a base hit.

You get the point. Only true fans understand the little things it is that makes Trout so much better.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Only advantage is defense" somewhat amazing I didn't know Miggy steals bases now? Runs the basepaths better? Hits triples? can hit leadoff? stays out of DP's?

MVP is team record and HR's...hmmm, ok if thats the definition...again, got to go with ................... Chris Davis your 2014 AL MVP

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay... I'll say defense and speed are Trout's advantages, but seriously Cabrera is the best right now. He is the best player since Pujols and is Probably better than Pujols. Give Trout a few more years. Im not about to say he's the best in the game when Cabrera is doing what he's doing.

Better than Pujols? No way.

Cabrera isn't nearly the fielder Pujols is, or was, and Pujols is also a great base runner. Pujols sustained his excellent numbers for years and years.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

why would he be better than Pujols, because your a tigers fan?...Pujols number are better...the only thing Miggy has that Pujols doesn't "triple crown"......last I checked that didn't make Carl Yaz one of the all time great hitters.

who would have thought, another Tiger fan thinking Miggy is Ted Williams...never would have guessed that eh...

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I see what you're saying.

I'm wild about Cabrera and Trout. I can see arguments for either. Defining "most valuabe" is more than a little absurd, IMO.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miggy's been playing with a torn groin for a couple of months. What was Trout's excuse for last Sept ? He also had a subpar August fwiw. What exactly is Davis' case ? His 200 Ks ?

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Baserunning isn't an advantage? And those advantages are kinda big.

Hard to say who's better. I'd give the slightest advantage to Trout. Regardless, they're both clearly the two best players in the league IMO.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miggy's been playing with a torn groin for a couple of months. What was Trout's excuse for last Sept ? He also had a subpar August fwiw. What exactly is Davis' case ? His 200 Ks ?

He had an .883 OPS the last 2 months of last season, with 12 HR, 18 steals, and 49 runs...and 32 of the Angels last 58 games last year were vs the top 4 staffs in the AL (at least going by ERA), so he did have a tough schedule down the stretch and still hit relatively well.

It's not as if he hit .230 or something.