• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Triple Espresso of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CNN, you're not fake news, but you could be less of a dumb ass.

2uxxrwm.png
I don't see the problem. Lower winds doesn't necessarily mean less danger. The increased danger is in the change in path and stalling over higher populated areas and more flood potential. :noidea:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see the problem. Lower winds doesn't necessarily mean less danger. The increased danger is in the change in path and stalling over higher populated areas and more flood potential. :noidea:
Katrina weakened as it approached the LA coast, but it also charted a path for its most soaking bands right over New Orleans which, along with shitty levees and George Bush Not Caring About Black People led to the disaster there.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Katrina weakened as it approached the LA coast, but it also charted a path for its most soaking bands right over New Orleans which, along with shitty levees and George Bush Not Caring About Black People led to the disaster there.

If I'm not mistaken, some Canadian rescue workers made it to New Orleans before FEMA did.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The storm surge which has nothing (directly) to do with winds can be a huge concern as well. I haven't looked at the pressure data for this storm so I don't know first hand if it's looking to be a large surge or not.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This aint good either

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The storm surge which has nothing (directly) to do with winds can be a huge concern as well. I haven't looked at the pressure data for this storm so I don't know first hand if it's looking to be a large surge or not.

You also have to take into account what the geography is like in path of the surge. And in most of Coastal NC it's sand dunes with some flat as fuck land behind it.

Wilmington, at it's highest, is 30 feet above sea level. Right on the coast. And it's in the spot where 20-30 inches of rain is possible.

Fayetteville is 300 feet above sea level and 95 miles inland. All tidal basins along the way. Not a place you want to be in when there's 30 inches of rain.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ontario NDP leader has misspelled Humboldt twice and yet that’s still the least Trumpy thing about this tweet.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You also have to take into account what the geography is like in path of the surge. And in most of Coastal NC it's sand dunes with some flat as fuck land behind it.

Wilmington, at it's highest, is 30 feet above sea level. Right on the coast. And it's in the spot where 20-30 inches of rain is possible.

Fayetteville is 300 feet above sea level and 95 miles inland. All tidal basins along the way. Not a place you want to be in when there's 30 inches of rain.
I was even curious about Raleigh.

Topographic map Raleigh

There are parts that the surge can come up like Fayetteville.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was even curious about Raleigh.

Topographic map Raleigh

There are parts that the surge can come up like Fayetteville.

That site is awesome.

I was looking at Fayetteville because I have a cousin who lives there.
Topographic map Fayetteville

The surge is gonna come right up that river and all the water that falls in the mountains and higher land to the west is gonna come meet it. Yikes.

Raleigh is going to have problems with that high ground draining right into that basin too. People in that Clayton area should have left already.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those dastardly libtards inflating death numbers in Puerto Rico, right?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, color me corrected then, Junior Meteorologists.

I just generally think the weather is very sensationalized by the media b/c it's one of those things that draws in non-news watchers. The Weather Channel now compared to 20 years ago is absurd. That said, doesn't mean this won't be dangerous and people should be smart, but I also think it's overblown. (no pun intended)

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, it did include people who died after the hurricane. Like people without access to clean water, food or electricity.

Not being able to eat, not having a hospital with power, and living in disease and filth will tend to speed up "old age" deaths.

In summary, this guy is truly as dumb as a box of hammers. And his followers are dumber.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just generally think the weather is very sensationalized by the media b/c it's one of those things that draws in non-news watchers. The Weather Channel now compared to 20 years ago is absurd. That said, doesn't mean this won't be dangerous and people should be smart, but I also think it's overblown. (no pun intended)
Agreed.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"If someone died from a bad chalupa, its now my fault. Sad! Not this time enemies of the people - the Dems and the press!"

"My paper towels saved lives!"

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think Sandy or Katrina or Harvey or Matthew or Irma were overhyped at all. Just because they can't get it right most of the time (the nature of the beast, pun intended), doesn't mean hype. Having gone thru 2 of those myself, this is serious shit.

That said, I'm amazed at the relative accuracy of mathematical and computer models used to predict the path of a hurricane days before and after it makes landfall. Gives plenty of time for preparations that we did not have just a couple of decades ago. Of course, those who think it's too much hype will be the ones ill-prepared, and deservedly so.

For the record, The Weather Channel is my go to source for storms like these. Their coverage is by far the most comprehensive and responsive of all the news sources.

Last edited:

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Sandy or Katrina or Harvey or Matthew or Irma were overhyped at all. Just because they can't get it right most of the time (the nature of the beast, pun intended), doesn't mean hype. Having gone thru 2 of those myself, this is serious shit.

That said, I'm amazed at the relative accuracy of mathematical and computer models used to predict the path of a hurricane days before and after it makes landfall. Gives plenty of time for preparations that we did not have just a couple of decades ago. Of course, those who think it's all hype will be the ones ill-prepared, and deservedly so.

I think that they are starting to get sort of overhyped because there have been a few recently that have been so over powered compared to ones in years past. I remember when Isabel came up the Chesapeake and landed pretty much on my front porch. There were no real major warnings and no evacuations. Heck I stood outside with a neighbor who was a cable line tech helping repair a line that had been cut in our neighborhood. We had a patio table fly past us like 15 feet away. Then I drove in to the office because they realized the surge could really affect the area where our data center was, and they wanted all hands on deck.

It's only in the aftermath do they truly realize how really devastating these things can be. The surge that crested the sea wall in Fells Point in Baltimore was pretty nasty. It was reported to be over 15 feet high. You don't want to mess with that.

If they go a little too heavy on the warnings and people leave and don't die, that's a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.