• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Triple Espresso of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For their consideration:
source.gif

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No longer a US ally, eh, just a partner.

The UK called us the same.

This was an incredibly miscalculated move by Trudeau and Freeland. There was shit fucking all to gain by this and now the entire Middle East is pissed at us while our actual allies are putting us on the same plane as the Saudis.

This government is a fucking omnishambles.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the local brouhaha ended with the Repugnitan winning by like 1300 votes.

Considering this district was hand drawn by John Boehner to ensure that the last guy would win in 2012 and the national repubs spent 11 million on a race that is back on the ballot in 90 days (to the Democrats 1m) and Romney won by 12% and Trump by 11, a .8% margin of victory can't feel comfy.

But, there were 1200 votes that went to the Green Party guy. This is Actually from that guy's facebook page:
DkDDB4zUcAAZEo-.jpg:large

Ralph Nader took just enough votes in 2000 in Florida to ensure GWB won and indirectly led to the deaths of ~210,000 innocent citizens in the middle east in wars unrelated to anything.

Fuck the green party.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the local brouhaha ended with the Repugnitan winning by like 1300 votes.

Considering this district was hand drawn by John Boehner to ensure that the last guy would win in 2012 and the national repubs spent 11 million on a race that is back on the ballot in 90 days (to the Democrats 1m) and Romney won by 12% and Trump by 11, a .8% margin of victory can't feel comfy.

But, there were 1200 votes that went to the Green Party guy. This is Actually from that guy's facebook page:
DkDDB4zUcAAZEo-.jpg:large

Ralph Nader took just enough votes in 2000 in Florida to ensure GWB won and indirectly led to the deaths of ~210,000 innocent citizens in the middle east in wars unrelated to anything.

Fuck the green party.
If you really want to talk about third parties totally and utterly fucking over a candidate, Ross Perot ruined the 90s for the Republicans far more than Ralph Nader did Gore in 2000 (or any of the people who think Jill Stein or Gary Johnson cost Hillary the election).

Gore lost because he didn't let Clinton campaign for him and he had the personality of slightly browned toast with saltless butter. People shouldn't get blamed for running for office because shitty major-party candidates can't win elections with hundreds of thousands or millions of people due to 800 votes for the Rhinoceros Party.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you really want to talk about third parties totally and utterly fucking over a candidate, Ross Perot ruined the 90s for the Republicans far more than Ralph Nader did Gore in 2000 (or any of the people who think Jill Stein or Gary Johnson cost Hillary the election).

Gore lost because he didn't let Clinton campaign for him and he had the personality of slightly browned toast with saltless butter. People shouldn't get blamed for running for office because shitty major-party candidates can't win elections with hundreds of thousands or millions of people due to 800 votes for the Rhinoceros Party.
I respected the Rhinoceros Party slogan "We're Horny, We Admit It" but little else.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, you take the good with the bad. I remember convincing a few of my conservative colleagues to vote Perot back in '92, which helped get Clinton elected.

However, Perot and Nader were serious candidates, with legitimate platforms that they were true to. I can't take this shill hijacking the Green party name clearly designed to usurp the democratic process.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, you take the good with the bad. I remember convincing a few of my conservative colleagues to vote Perot back in '92, which helped get Clinton elected.

However, Perot and Nader were serious candidates, with legitimate platforms that they were true to. I can't take this shill running in the Green party clearly designed to usurp the democratic process.
The one in the Ohio election is obviously a loon but there are people to this day who insist Hillary lost because of Gary Johnson and Jill Stein and not because she neglected the midwest and women hated her.

It's like I say to people who throw fits when teams play defensively and boring - it is not your opponents' job to play the game you want to play. Third party candidates don't just pop up out of nowhere on election day.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Third party candidates don't just pop up out of nowhere on election day.

But they do. I have never once seen a Libertarian or Green party candidate running for City Council or county commissioner. I have never seen one on a ballot for state senate. They only trot themselves out on major elections just so they can get their heads smashed in and "prove a point".

His platform was:
- Medicare for all
- Student Debt Relief
- Repeal Citizens United SCOTUS decision
- Investigation into election finance fraud in congress
- Increase minimum wage

And he took away enough votes from the other legitimate candidate who also wants all that to ensure it will NEVER happen.

If they really gave a shit about changing things, they would get involved at a local level and start making a difference in their constituents' lives and build support for real. Instead, they come out every few years and tip the needle to people who are against everything they believe in. Because they want to play victimized edgelords.

In summary, fuck the green party.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you wear a paper condom if you fuck the green party?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they really gave a shit about changing things, they would get involved at a local level and start making a difference in their constituents' lives and build support for real. Instead, they come out every few years and tip the needle to people who are against everything they believe in. Because they want to play victimized edgelords.
This is tough to do when you a) aren't rich and b) don't have a national and/or state apparatus that is rich supporting you, providing you staff and polling etc.

It may seem pointless but democracy doesn't work by snuffing out the little annoying people to satisfy the demands of the national behemoth.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is tough to do when you a) aren't rich and b) don't have a national and/or state apparatus that is rich supporting you, providing you staff and polling etc.

It's more expensive or more resource intensive to get on a local county or city council than it is to run a national sacrificial lamb?

It may seem pointless but democracy doesn't work by snuffing out the little annoying people to satisfy the demands of the national behemoth.

Democracy is supposed to work by making a difference for people in their life that they can see. Being an annoying person nationally doesn't do that. And the National Behemoths love it. One more than the other.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the problem is that in the US, people think we have a true democracy and that their one little voice really matters. Not only do we have a representative democracy, we don't have a parliamentary system so that one little voice is going to be eaten by a larger one when you get anywhere above the local level - that's just the way it is. No amount of savvy grassroots campaigning is going to change that. There is no chance to form a coalition to have your voice heard, and oftentimes you're left choosing between a giant douche and a turd sandwich. If you want to vote that way in a national seat election, there will be consequences and they lead directly to helping the candidate furthest from your views getting elected. Yes, your voice is heard by being one of the few to vote that way - hey, if it helps you sleep better at night more power to you; just don't bitch when the elected candidate railroads through some piece of legislation against all you hold near and dear.

/and I don't bitch and complain because I wrote in a giant panda who now resides in China for president in the 2016 election

Status
Not open for further replies.