• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Triple Espresso of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
vomit2.gif

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And somewhere in the range of 40% of voters will always vote for the D for the same reasons.
Except that they don't.

There's no hard numbers on most of this - and admittedly I was grabbing the 40% number from thin air to emphasize my point. Mea Culpa there.

However, it IS known based on polls that the largest single-issue voter bloc is abortion, and the percentage of single issue voters that are pro-life is higher than the percentage that are pro-choice.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except that they don't.

There's no hard numbers on most of this - and admittedly I was grabbing the 40% number from thin air to emphasize my point. Mea Culpa there.

However, it IS known based on polls that the largest single-issue voter bloc is abortion, and the percentage of single issue voters that are pro-life is higher than the percentage that are pro-choice.

I would guess second largest single issue bloc is Second Amendment people. That was one of the biggest shifts in the great republican strategy. They were mostly very Anti-Gun in terms of supporting "law and order". Ronald Reagan was the first high profile person to suggest banning assault weapons.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its the economy. There are certain blocks of people, often but not always under-educated, who have lost their jobs and are struggling to feed their families. When things are completely hopeless someone who comes along making bold claims to bring back jobs that were lost sounds good despite any other flaws they have. Even people that really probably know those jobs aren't coming back - they might be swayed hoping they are wrong.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except that they don't.

My only point was that both sides have a fair share of single-issue voters so you're safe. I couldn't tell ya exact percentages other than it's more than it should be for either side.

But re: abortion, it's still a pretty close call.

nzuek7lcz0yywecmirzwkg.gif

Abortion Is Threshold Issue for One in Six U.S. Voters

And my guess is with the stuff this year around state laws, court challenges and the impending permanent conservatization of the SCOTUS it'll be big on Democrats' minds next year.

Even up here, Trudeau appears to be basing his entire re-election campaign on the other guy coming to take away abortion and gay rights which is something the opposition tried to play for years with the last Conservative PM who was pretty vocally anti-abortion and anti-gay marriage and yet didn't touch either in 9 years in office. He'll get plenty of votes for doing so, too.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its the economy. There are certain blocks of people, often but not always under-educated, who have lost their jobs and are struggling to feed their families. When things are completely hopeless someone who comes along making bold claims to bring back jobs that were lost sounds good despite any other flaws they have. Even people that really probably know those jobs aren't coming back - they might be swayed hoping they are wrong.

True.

But you have to wonder how many times they will fall for the same tactics before realizing the lies and start, I don't know, voting in their best interests?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True.

But you have to wonder how many times they will fall for the same tactics before realizing the lies and start, I don't know, voting in their best interests?
Union members who were coached for generations to vote Democrat would probably say this is exactly what they thought they were doing by voting for Trump.

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“Old man yells at cloud”

Status
Not open for further replies.