• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Triple Espresso of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
History was made in Oklahoma on Tuesday. Kevin Stitt became the first Native person to become governor of a state.

Kevin Stitt wins governor's race

I wonder why this wasn't seen as a big deal...

While his win keeps the governor's office in Republican control

Oh. Right. Can't be celebrating minority success when it's from the evil side.

Meanwhile, Elizabeth Warren is somewhere buying a billboard to display her Ancestry.com results.

Nice find BBB and you're right, this has flown under the radar and it should get more publicity.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice find BBB and you're right, this has flown under the radar and it should get more publicity.
Even if people don't agree with his policies, there's no reason they can't be happy about another broken barrier.

I read two or three pieces earlier this week about the two congresswomen who became the first Native women to serve that body but nothing about this.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On another note, I take back what I said earlier about the FL races, it looks like the GOP is gearing up to try to steal that one too if they have to.

/It's been 18 years and Florida's ballot system is still fucking wack. How hard can it be to list names and pick some of them in a functional manner?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if people don't agree with his policies, there's no reason they can't be happy about another broken barrier.

I read two or three pieces earlier this week about the two congresswomen who became the first Native women to serve that body but nothing about this.

I don't why you hate Warren so much but Stitt has one native ancestor (his great-grandfather) 3 generations ago. The situations aren't really THAT different. He obviously has citizenship in his band so it's "official" but he's not much more native than Warren.

The lack of coverage about his minority status might be because of this. Or it could be that people don't feel like trumpeting the accomplishments of a native guy who ran for a party that, in its current form, tries to shit all over minorities.

Or it's all a big conspiracy by THE GAY FROGS AND LIBURALZZZ.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On another note, I take back what I said earlier about the FL races, it looks like the GOP is gearing up to try to steal that one too if they have to.

/It's been 18 years and Florida's ballot system is still fucking wack. How hard can it be to list names and pick some of them in a functional manner?

I saw a picture of the ballot that's allegedly causing all the fuss, and it isn't at all confusing, in my opinion. Experts say it would be easy to miss, but it's not like they didn't put the exact same heading format over the senate race as they did over everything else. It's at the bottom left of the ballot, after the instructions, but as you move down the ballot to vote on other things, that shouldn't matter.

And senate and rep races are big deals. Shouldn't voters have realized they hadn't filled those out? And maybe asked one of the volunteers for help finding it? And the sample ballots were released weeks in advance for people to review.

Look, make your ballot as easy to fill out as possible, obviously, but goodness, if the voter was able to get to the booth and cast a ballot, they have to be at least a little responsible for doing so carefully and thoroughly.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the time I get to Phoenix, she'll be rising...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the time I get to Phoenix, she'll be rising...

Oh good, the old "signatures don't match" ploy. Mine's probably one of those, because my signature changes every time I sign something. And my ballot this year had some flourish.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Where have I seen that before?!? Oh yeah...

200.gif

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't understand why all states don't do vote by mail...so easy and tends to get 80% participation

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't why you hate Warren so much but Stitt has one native ancestor (his great-grandfather) 3 generations ago. The situations aren't really THAT different. He obviously has citizenship in his band so it's "official" but he's not much more native than Warren.

The lack of coverage about his minority status might be because of this. Or it could be that people don't feel like trumpeting the accomplishments of a native guy who ran for a party that, in its current form, tries to shit all over minorities.

Or it's all a big conspiracy by THE GAY FROGS AND LIBURALZZZ.
I don't hate Warren, but I think she provides a good contrast here and a good example of how NMative peoples are consistently used to further agendas of white people without actually listening to what they believe, want and consider important.

Warren, even if innocently enough, used her unconfirmed identity as an Indigenous person for personal gain. If she a) actually had an identified ancestor, b) was registered to a tribe and c) actually did anything in her legislative career to help Natives I could actually feel bad for her. Instead, rather than track down this ancestor she took an online DNA test, the results of which tests and their accuracy there are numerous stories about that you can google, and she waved her results around not to actually do anything about serious Native issues but to attack the President thinking she had just scored a big W as did much of the mainstream and left-wing media. Once a few real, tribe-member Native people could talk over the white voices loud enough to say "uh, we're kind of offended by all of this and don't really give a shit what her DNA is, she isn't Native, has no idea what being Native is about and has helped Native peoples about as much in her government career as Donald Trump has" she had to sit back down, shut up and wait for the story to pass.

Meanwhile, guy who has everything that Warren claims to have actually breaks through a major barrier and there's nary a peep.

Maybe democratic policy aligns more with Native peoples' politics than Republicans do. I think most would agree that people in Massachusetts are some of the most liberal-minded in the US and yet they just re-elected their Republican governor for another 4 years. Sometimes there are reasons beyond the national conversation that are worth examining before making assumptions about how people are or aren't in line with the positions of others.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Speechless.....Does he not understand no matter how much work they do preventing campfires from spreading is impossible.

7e29a8eede17374117e62227abf2a11a.jpg

EDIT: stole this one from a twitter response and it is fitting.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me or does anyone else keep hearing "Addams Groove" by Hammer? No matter where you are?
Nevermind. Jenkins, now in reception, drugged me and had a cochlear implant put in my ear. He got me good.

Status
Not open for further replies.