• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Traveling to Kauffman Stadium to play the Royals

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we are supposed to think that far ahead. lol

HaHa. It has been several different scenarios, but that's okay. The one with the pitchers was just the latest one. No harm done though. Some folks just have a different preference as to what they want to discuss than I do. I don't have any problem with that. I like having fun with it though.

IIRC, there was a lot of "if (scenario A) happens, and then (scenario B) happens, do we trade (player A) or (player B) at the deadline, or possibly (player C) in the offeason?" (all offense, nothing about pitching)

Mine was a "when". :thumb:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jake Thompson goes 7 innings giving up 7 hits and 1 walk while allowing 1 earned run. He had 6 strikeouts. This kid has turned a corner for Frisco. That is 4 really good outings in a row in which he has given up 3 earned runs in 27.2 innings with 28 strikeouts, 4 walks, and 21 hits.

Kid will probably be in round rock by July. We may need him before the end of the season.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From EG's column today - first paragraph:

"Spread across manager Jeff Banister’s desk every day are color-coded print outs identifying esoteric statistical trends aimed at giving his club even the slightest edge at changing the complexion of the game ahead of them in the Rangers’ favor."

Say what you will about BannyRooster's in-game moves, but damned if I don't love reading things like that.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feliz so far has given up a hit and a R with a BB and a K

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Spread across manager Jeff Banister’s desk every day are color-coded print outs identifying esoteric statistical trends aimed at giving his club even the slightest edge at changing the complexion of the game ahead of them in the Rangers’ favor."

Say what you will about BannyRooster's in-game moves, but damned if I don't love reading things like that.

Maybe it's just the winning, but I feel like that had gotten better. I made a couple of knee jerk posts early on, but he's clearly world's better than Wash was in this department, and most others for that matter.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did not get to see the game so looking at some highlights. Noticed that EA was fortunate on his bad throw that Morales was jogging down to 1st and the Moreland is 6'3".

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have liked him since I read about some things he was doing in ST. I think he has done a very good job so far. I think he is smart enough to learn from his in game mistakes and will improve in that area. Although, I don't see him making nearly as many in game mistakes in his first year as his predecessor did in his last few years here.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IIRC, there was a lot of "if (scenario A) happens, and then (scenario B) happens, do we trade (player A) or (player B) at the deadline, or possibly (player C) in the offeason?" (all offense, nothing about pitching)

Mine was a "when". :thumb:
IIRC. I had to look that one up. I had never seen that one before. Who said this board wasn't educational?

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was one of those guys who said " wtf?" When Bannister was hired. I think Bannister is proving that he is a good hire. The guys on FS1 mentioned that Bannister is the reason Wandy is here. Wandy filled the huge hole in the rotation after Detwiler stunk it up the entire month of April and into early May. The thing I like most about Bannister is that he's not afraid to use the prospects that JD and staff have worked so hard to develop. The youth movement is keeping this team afloat until reinforcements ( hopefully) arrive. Wash sticking with " his guys" has hurt this team on numerous occasions in the past. Fixing the bullpen and keeping Deshields as the lead off hitter are two moves that I can appreciate, and they're moves with Bannisters finger prints all over them.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's just the winning, but I feel like that had gotten better. I made a couple of knee jerk posts early on, but he's clearly world's better than Wash was in this department, and most others for that matter.

Actually Romeo some of it really was not knee jerk. There were some obvious decisions Banister made that were not good ones but overall we are all seeing that he brings a lot to the table. He looks like he could be one tough dude but also has a real caring-human side that he brings to his players. And he is willing to keep changing things around until he starts seeing results he likes. At first I was not sure about it all but as time has gone on I like what I am seeing overall and how the team is coming together.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Astro's had 6 guys in their lineup yesterday hitting at or below .236. No way can you play almost .600 ball over the season if this maintains.

And it should be noted that Sam Freeman has retired 8 of 9 he's faced, with the one getting on base, immediately being erased by a DP. Maybe the kid is going to be a good contributor yet to the BP.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Astro's had 6 guys in their lineup yesterday hitting at or below .236. No way can you play almost .600 ball over the season if this maintains.

And it should be noted that Sam Freeman has retired 8 of 9 he's faced, with the one getting on base, immediately being erased by a DP. Maybe the kid is going to be a good contributor yet to the BP.

They have been using Freeman wisely as a situational lefty for the most part. That can help build confidence.

As far as the Astros are concerned their main weapon has been the HR ball it seems and pitching.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Noticed in keeping in line with the fact that Banister changes things up and does not seem like a robot or superstitious instead of bringing in Ohlendorf into the game in the 8th he brought in Scheppers and finished off with Freeman. I think he keeps guys engaged with what he is doing.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Noticed in keeping in line with the fact that Banister changes things up and does not seem like a robot or superstitious instead of bringing in Ohlendorf into the game in the 8th he brought in Scheppers and finished off with Freeman. I think he keeps guys engaged with what he is doing.

Very good point. And this is something he seemed to be quite keen on from day one.

I've had my problems with some of the decisions to date. But I also think he's doing a MUCH better job than the previous regime, and he seems to be learning/adjusting with time spent, and I believe/hope we'll be the better for it in the long run.

No matter how much time someone has spend being a base or bench coach, there's still go to be a pretty significant learning curve when you're the man in charge for all matters.

So cutting slack is in order for Mr Banister.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon Ive already let off the throttle on Magagdan for the moment, you want me to get off Bannister's case too......hell, the team has only won 15 of the last 19

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers will be patient with Joey Gallo's strikeout tendency

Rangers rookie third baseman Joey Gallo leaves you speechless every time he goes to the plate. It's almost a guarantee he'll do something amazing, or he'll strike out. The Rangers are satisfied with that fact right now, per MLB.com.

In 16 at-bats this season, Gallo has struck out 10 times. But he does have five hits, two home runs ans five RBI with a .313 average. So the Rangers will deal with his growing pains.

"It's a learning experience for Joey," manager Jeff Banister said. "Every experience for him is a new experience. He is logging information and the pitchers he has seen. That's what happens when you get off to a special start. They pay attention to you and they work at it.

"If you've got power, they know you can hurt them, so they are really going to pay attention. It's a learning experience. He'll be fine. He'll swing the bat and he'll drive the ball."

Gallo -- major league baseball's No. 8 overall prospect -- is powerful, and with that power comes a tendency to whiff and miss. In the minors, Gallo struck out 33.9 percent of the time he came to the plate.

"If you look at Joey's track record, he does have strikeouts with his power," Banister said. "You want the guy to swing the bat with authority. It's not about cutting down the swing. It's about recognizing pitches and putting a good swing on a pitch you can hit. I'm not concerned. He has been in the big leagues for four days."

As long as Gallo continues to mature and develop plate discipline, the Rangers will continue to be patient with their young slugger.

"The maturation of Joey will come from what he retains, what kind of adjustments he makes from pitch to pitch and at-bat to at-bat," Banister said. "I have seen some of those adjustments. Every experience will be beneficial down the road to making him a complete player.

Joey will probably make every start he physically and mentally can while he is up, it appears

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2B Rougned Odor raking at Round Rock

Premier prospect and second baseman Rougned Odor, who was banished by the Rangers to Triple-A Round Rock on May 11, could be returning soon. He has found himself at the plate.

Odor went down with a .144 batting average. But he has been tearing it up lately for the Express with a six-game hitting streak, which includes five multi-hit performances, four doubles and a triple. He has raised his batting average to .349 and cut down his strikeouts markedly. He has fanned just seven times in 98 plate appearances after racking up 25 in 90 at-bats with Texas.

"He's made some really nice improvements offensively, keeping both hands on the bat, barreling the ball much better," Jeff Banister told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "He's not chasing as much; he's controlling the strike zone."

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers SP Wandy Rodriguez picks up win in solid effort Saturday

Rangers pitcher Wandy Rodriguez was excellent in his start against the Royals on Saturday. Rodriguez allowed one run on six hits, striking out four and walking none over seven innings in the 4-2 victory. The veteran left-hander needed just 97 pitches to make it through the seventh.

Rodriguez (3-2, 3.25 ERA) gave up his only run on an RBI single from Mike Moustakas in the sixth inning on Saturday.

This was the first time since May 5 that Rodriguez was able to get through seven innings, but he's been mostly effective all season.

"Stabilizer," Rangers manager Jeff Banister said, per MLB.com. "He has taken on a front end of the rotation type of attitude, shouldering a lot of innings and being a veteran presence. He is a guy who has been through a lot of battles and significant games."

He's scheduled to make his next start on Friday at home against the Twins.

WanRod has been a good shot in the arm since he showed up

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE="Bmurph, post: 6727638, member: 5029"]Cmon Ive already let off the throttle on Magagdan for the moment, you want me to get off Bannister's case too......hell, the team has only won 15 of the last 19[/QUOTE]

Actually, I'd done this in reverse order. :pound: