• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Traveling to Kauffman Stadium to play the Royals

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a thought to share: After losing Yu Derek and Perez, I think JD has done an exceptional piece of work finding the current replacements to come in and keep us in the division race. I would never thought it possible. Hats off JD you have done a job.:thumb:

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we've left KC before their bats come alive. We caught them at a good time. I'm certainly not complaining though.

Reminds me of the Yankees series. The Yankees were pissed and took out their frustrations on the poor Royals who came to the Bronx after we just left. I'm hoping for the same exact outcome of the NY series :hope:. I think we owe the Blue Jays a big thank you, they've beat the Astros 2 days in a row and bought us some time for Josh / Beltre to get back.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell you what guys. Mike Maddux has made chicken salad out of chicken shit with this pitching staff. Especially the bullpen we have, and the turnaround they've made from April. Just look at our rotation.

Gallardo: A #3 at best in any legitimate rotation the Rangers could hope to have, and frankly no better than a #3 period. The guy eats innings and will keep you close, but he's no #1. That's for sure.

Colby: I love Colby. He's a bulldog and another innings eater, but let's be honest. This guy is a fringe #3 in any good rotation and probably more like a #4. I still want him in any playoff rotation regardless of who the Rangers have healthy. The guy shines under the brightest lights.

Wandy: The Braves thought so little of this guy they gave him his outright release this season. He doesn't have near the velocity he used to have, but all he's done is pitch 45.2 innings in 8 GS started for the Rangers and turned in a 3.55 ERA with 7.69k/9 and a 49% ground ball percentage. His FIP is 3.93 and his BABIP is .275 so there's evidence to suggest he's not simply getting lucky.

Nick Martinez: I still say this guy is pitching over his head and is due for a pretty decent regression, but he just keeps keeping us in ball games. I'm not going to complain about getting a little luck, but I feel like Maddux is largely responsible for him pitching over his head like he has been. That's not to say it will continue all season, but it's been impressive nonetheless.

Chi chi: only two starts, but wow. Gotta give this kid credit for saying, "I'm going to work on some things in AAA to be ready for my call to the majors and results be damned." It has certainly paid benefits, and I feel like management deserves credit for convincing this kid to go about his business this way. We'll see what happens when teams get a book on him, but he certainly has impressed from what I've seen of him. Point is, we've got a rookie 5th starter who so far has done a lot more than give his team a chance to win.

Never mind all of the dumpster fire starts from Detwiler. With this rag tag bunch excuse for a major league rotation has put up a surprising 4.11 ERA which is good enough for 15th best in baseball. Their FIP is 4.33 and their BABIP is .292 so there's reason to believe they're not just getting extremely lucky. Granted they are middle of the pack in many measureables, but to me this does not look like even a middle of the pack rotation on paper. What they've been able to do really is surprising.

Never mind the dumpster fire that was our bullpen to start the year has really made a turnaround. We're getting quality appearances from guys like Freeman, Ohlendorf, Bass, and a young rookie has turned into a reliable force. Maddux has once again done a bang up job, and reinforcements may be on the way.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NYY 7 LAA 0 in the 4th

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep it rolling, Tyler. :D

I nailed him and honestly, he did a pretty nice come back in a rather cheeky, tongue-in-cheek response.

He takes it all pretty well really.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell you what guys. Mike Maddux has made chicken salad out of chicken shit with this pitching staff. Especially the bullpen we have, and the turnaround they've made from April. Just look at our rotation.

Gallardo: A #3 at best in any legitimate rotation the Rangers could hope to have, and frankly no better than a #3 period. The guy eats innings and will keep you close, but he's no #1. That's for sure.

Colby: I love Colby. He's a bulldog and another innings eater, but let's be honest. This guy is a fringe #3 in any good rotation and probably more like a #4. I still want him in any playoff rotation regardless of who the Rangers have healthy. The guy shines under the brightest lights.

Wandy: The Braves thought so little of this guy they gave him his outright release this season. He doesn't have near the velocity he used to have, but all he's done is pitch 45.2 innings in 8 GS started for the Rangers and turned in a 3.55 ERA with 7.69k/9 and a 49% ground ball percentage. His FIP is 3.93 and his BABIP is .275 so there's evidence to suggest he's not simply getting lucky.

Nick Martinez: I still say this guy is pitching over his head and is due for a pretty decent regression, but he just keeps keeping us in ball games. I'm not going to complain about getting a little luck, but I feel like Maddux is largely responsible for him pitching over his head like he has been. That's not to say it will continue all season, but it's been impressive nonetheless.

Chi chi: only two starts, but wow. Gotta give this kid credit for saying, "I'm going to work on some things in AAA to be ready for my call to the majors and results be damned." It has certainly paid benefits, and I feel like management deserves credit for convincing this kid to go about his business this way. We'll see what happens when teams get a book on him, but he certainly has impressed from what I've seen of him. Point is, we've got a rookie 5th starter who so far has done a lot more than give his team a chance to win.

Never mind all of the dumpster fire starts from Detwiler. With this rag tag bunch excuse for a major league rotation has put up a surprising 4.11 ERA which is good enough for 15th best in baseball. Their FIP is 4.33 and their BABIP is .292 so there's reason to believe they're not just getting extremely lucky. Granted they are middle of the pack in many measureables, but to me this does not look like even a middle of the pack rotation on paper. What they've been able to do really is surprising.

Never mind the dumpster fire that was our bullpen to start the year has really made a turnaround. We're getting quality appearances from guys like Freeman, Ohlendorf, Bass, and a young rookie has turned into a reliable force. Maddux has once again done a bang up job, and reinforcements may be on the way.

April skewed the numbers across the board for the offense and pitching. The only thing that has been pretty bad all year long is the defense.

Expectations had to be tempered from day one for a litany of reasons. It's incredible the position the club is finding themselves now, but it can change just as quickly the other way. The resilience of the players has been really impressive thus far. Do JD and Banny get credit for that? Banister came in spouting a lot of platitudes and after April it felt like a lot of empty talk.

A month and a week later we are wondering if the guy really might know what he's talking about. Wouldn't that be something? If he can keep them playing loose and they win 81 games I don't see how he doesn't win AL MotY. But that's a long way off. A lot will need to go right for them to win another 51+ games.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to believe this team was 8-16, but it can all change in a month. Getting Blanks and then Rua back will be nice. Then hopefully anything you get from Perez, Holland, and Harrison is a plus.
It will be nice to have those RH options.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
April skewed the numbers across the board for the offense and pitching. The only thing that has been pretty bad all year long is the defense.

Expectations had to be tempered from day one for a litany of reasons. It's incredible the position the club is finding themselves now, but it can change just as quickly the other way. The resilience of the players has been really impressive thus far. Do JD and Banny get credit for that? Banister came in spouting a lot of platitudes and after April it felt like a lot of empty talk.

A month and a week later we are wondering if the guy really might know what he's talking about. Wouldn't that be something? If he can keep them playing loose and they win 81 games I don't see how he doesn't win AL MotY. But that's a long way off. A lot will need to go right for them to win another 51+ games.

I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop, especially with the injuries. It's early obviously, but after a week this team had kept right on rolling, against the Royals no less. If this team can tread water and play .500 till Beltre and Hamilton get back, maybe the other shoe doesn't have to drop. I'm still not convinced our pitching isn't due for regression, but the numbers don't necessarily indicate that's the case.

If this team is to have a snowball's chance in hell at the division or a WC spot, they're going to have to get help from at least one and more like two of Harrison, Perez, and Holland. I'm not sure I like the odds, but Harry's first rehab start offers a slight bit of hope since his velocity was reported at 90-91. Still a long way to go for him. I'm still not convinced Perez gives us anything more this year than anyone in our current rotation has been giving us. Holland, I have no idea. If he comes back as his stiffly self, we still have to do without him till August, so we'll have to be in the race 2/3 of the season without him for him to even matter. If our lineup can get healthy we may have the bats to pull it off, but I'm still very concerned about our strikeouts.

All in all, I feel like we have a chance at a .500 season which I thought was unthinkable before. I'm just happy that's the case right now. If this team has even bigger surprises waiting, I'll gladly take them. Banny sure does have these guys believing in themselves, even after all the injuries. That seems like a chicken or the egg thing, but all these wins with a depleted team certainly can't hurt.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we are supposed to think that far ahead. lol

I get what you did there, but to me it's apples and oranges. You were wanting to discuss all the possible outcomes with all of our pitchers, which include way too many variables inuding whether any of them will actually make it back to major league ball this season. Second of all, the only pitcher who might make it back in the next 30 days is Harry, and that's damn sure no sure thing.

Hamilton on the other hand, is coming back without question, and before any pitcher except maybe Harrison has a shot to return. So, I get what you were doing, but I think you whiffed on this one.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize it was this bad.

Grant: Rangers' top picks have historically struggled, but that trend might be changing | Dallas Morning News

Here is the power of Chi Chi Gonzalez: He has the ability to change the entire narrative.

As recently as a week ago, the story of Rangers first picks in the amateur draft under general manager Jon Daniels was a barren chapter. And, if you want to go back further than that, the same applied to his predecessor, John Hart.

Not since 2001, when Doug Melvin selected Mark Teixeira with the fifth overall pick, had the Rangers really hit on their top pick. In the ensuing 13-plus years until Gonzalez made his debut last week, the Rangers had gotten a total of 249 at-bats and a .209 batting average from their top overall picks. As for the six pitchers they selected with their top pick between 2002 and 2012, not only did they not get a win, they didn’t get a single major league appearance.

I would love another Mark Teixeira this year.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize it was this bad.

Grant: Rangers' top picks have historically struggled, but that trend might be changing | Dallas Morning News

Here is the power of Chi Chi Gonzalez: He has the ability to change the entire narrative.

As recently as a week ago, the story of Rangers first picks in the amateur draft under general manager Jon Daniels was a barren chapter. And, if you want to go back further than that, the same applied to his predecessor, John Hart.

Not since 2001, when Doug Melvin selected Mark Teixeira with the fifth overall pick, had the Rangers really hit on their top pick. In the ensuing 13-plus years until Gonzalez made his debut last week, the Rangers had gotten a total of 249 at-bats and a .209 batting average from their top overall picks. As for the six pitchers they selected with their top pick between 2002 and 2012, not only did they not get a win, they didn’t get a single major league appearance.

I would love another Mark Teixeira this year.

This is a pretty weak draft by the experts accounts. That short stop they keep projecting to the Rangers looks pretty interesting, but the general belief is there's really no sure thing in this draft.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you did there, but to me it's apples and oranges. You were wanting to discuss all the possible outcomes with all of our pitchers, which include way too many variables inuding whether any of them will actually make it back to major league ball this season. Second of all, the only pitcher who might make it back in the next 30 days is Harry, and that's damn sure no sure thing.

Hamilton on the other hand, is coming back without question, and before any pitcher except maybe Harrison has a shot to return. So, I get what you were doing, but I think you whiffed on this one.

HaHa. It has been several different scenarios, but that's okay. The one with the pitchers was just the latest one. No harm done though. Some folks just have a different preference as to what they want to discuss than I do. I don't have any problem with that. I like having fun with it though.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jake Thompson goes 7 innings giving up 7 hits and 1 walk while allowing 1 earned run. He had 6 strikeouts. This kid has turned a corner for Frisco. That is 4 really good outings in a row in which he has given up 3 earned runs in 27.2 innings with 28 strikeouts, 4 walks, and 21 hits.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good points. Wandy seems to be getting better and better and is pitching more like he did when he first came up. And we kept sending guys down and up from the BP which I appreciate management not sitting on their hands with that catastrophe. They finally got the right people and they started to find their roles and have pitched extremely well even though I think Ohlendorf needs to pick it up some.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jake Thompson goes 7 innings giving up 7 hits and 1 walk while allowing 1 earned run. He had 6 strikeouts. This kid has turned a corner for Frisco. That is 4 really good outings in a row in which he has given up 3 earned runs in 27.2 innings with 28 strikeouts, 4 walks, and 21 hits.

You may be right. Time to move him up to RR.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Alec Asher.......not so much tonight, 5 innings 6 earned runs, 4 HR's