• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Training Camp 2017

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rookie report: Fifth-round pick Jeremy Sprinkle stands out because of his size at 6-foot-5, 252 pounds. The coaches like how quickly Sprinkle has learned various run-blocking techniques. He's been effective blocking along the line and works hard to both stay low and keep his hands tight. His length helps, too. The Redskins will have a difficult decision at tight end, where they also have veterans Jordan Reed, Vernon Davis, Niles Paul and Derek Carrier. It could come down to Carrier or Sprinkle.

i would have to keep sprinkle if he is blocking well

redskin4209

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rookie report: Fifth-round pick Jeremy Sprinkle stands out because of his size at 6-foot-5, 252 pounds. The coaches like how quickly Sprinkle has learned various run-blocking techniques. He's been effective blocking along the line and works hard to both stay low and keep his hands tight. His length helps, too. The Redskins will have a difficult decision at tight end, where they also have veterans Jordan Reed, Vernon Davis, Niles Paul and Derek Carrier. It could come down to Carrier or Sprinkle.

i would have to keep sprinkle if he is blocking well

Down here in the south we see alot of SEC football. I had a feeling the day we drafted him he could very well cause problems for Carrier and Paul. If I remember right I may be wrong but he lead all TE's in the SEC with TD's in 2015 or 2016. Gotta check on that. But he is a load once he get's his wheels rolling. If he is doing well with the blocking Sprinkle will make our team and eventually could very well be seeing some action this season. He is a good talented pass catching TE with good size.

I really like our draft this yr except for the later rds but who knows we may get some surprises. Glad to be back here and I am ready for some Redskin football.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Down here in the south we see alot of SEC football. I had a feeling the day we drafted him he could very well cause problems for Carrier and Paul. If I remember right I may be wrong but he lead all TE's in the SEC with TD's in 2015 or 2016. Gotta check on that. But he is a load once he get's his wheels rolling. If he is doing well with the blocking Sprinkle will make our team and eventually could very well be seeing some action this season. He is a good talented pass catching TE with good size.

I really like our draft this yr except for the later rds but who knows we may get some surprises. Glad to be back here and I am ready for some Redskin football.
i dont gripe at late round picks to much they are flier picks . hosley is making a strong push to make the roster . sprinkle certainly has a great shot

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holsey will make it.. Breeland, Norman, fabian, fuller Holsey.... Te Reed davis, paul, sprinkle.. carrier will get cut.. sprinkle will make the 53 but not suit up on sunday intill we need him. GOD DAMN LOOK AT A CBs wow best in league by far if we keep six dunbar

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bashaud Breeland shrugs off perception of his camp, stays confident
11:09 AM ET
  • i

John KeimESPN Staff Writer

RICHMOND, Va. -- The play featured a terrific move by Washington Redskinsreceiver Terrelle Pryor and corner Bashaud Breeland biting hard, looking silly when the wideout cut back outside. It led to another round of social media angst regarding Breeland.

He joked after practice how he used to be the fan favorite. Now? Not so much. It seems whenever Pryor makes a big play in one-on-ones -- and sometimes in 7-on-7 sessions -- it's at Breeland's expense. That's not always the case, but a lot of the big plays have been that way -- sometimes it's Breeland guessing wrong on a throw. Other times, he's been in good position only to have the bigger, taller Pryor make the catch. Saturday, it was about the route.

routes. He runs the comeback well because corners must honor his deep speed -- that happened last week against Breeland, in which the two were running side by side, only to have Pryor stop and come back and create several yards of space.

This time, it was about the dig.

"It was the first time seeing him sell the route like that," Breeland said. "Normally you see him coming back out, but he really sold the dig and had me biting. So after the play I let him know, 'You sold that route.' I really thought it was a dig."

Pryor knows there has been criticism of his camp. Some if it is warranted, but it's hard to just go off plays in one-on-one work -- they might be good video, but they rarely present a full picture of a player. Last summer, he was on the opposite end as he made big plays in camp and looked headed toward a good season. Instead, it was an inconsistent one.

Regardless, Breeland isn't worried about any perception of his camp.

"It's training camp," Breeland said. "It's one-on-ones. When the season comes, that's when I'll turn into that Bashaud Breeland."

He'll need to be that guy. It's a big season for Breeland, who is in the final year of his contract. After all, the Redskins have future alternatives on the roster (Kendall Fuller, Fabian Moreau).

Other thoughts:

1. I still think Samaje Perine must improve in pass protection, and that will be a factor in whether he ultimately starts. However, it'll be interesting to watch him run in the preseason games. Perine looked good running the ball Saturday -- the defense is hitting, but not tackling, so it's often hard to get a feel for how much a back would have gained on a particular play. But I like how Perine runs through the hole, doing so with a good body lean to generate power. It was noticeable on several runs.

2. Receiver Josh Doctson caught a fade pass over Quinton Dunbar in the end zone on a well-thrown ball from quarterback Kirk Cousins. That play isn't going away after a tough season running it last year. The problems with that play were many: timing, size of the receivers, etc. It's not a high-percentage throw for most teams. Doctson couldn't catch one in his two games last season; there were several attempts. But unlike last season, there was no time for him to work with the quarterback in camp. "It's him getting to know me and knowing what kind of ball I like and me knowing what type of throw he likes," Doctson said. "It takes time for me and Kirk to get it down." Doctson helped by being patient enough off the line to allow Cousins a chance to plant and throw. The timing was crisp. Without a little stutter off the line, it can disrupt that timing. It also helps throwing to a 6-foot-2 receiver who can jump such as Doctson: He had a 41-inch vertical at the 2016 combine.

3. Rookie tight end Jeremy Sprinkle's length will be a big benefit. The 6-foot-5 Sprinkle showed just how on one receiver screen. Sprinkle had to step upfield, then circle back to make a block. Corner Josh Holsey sprinted up, but Sprinkle's length allowed him to bump him off stride enough to create an opening back inside. That's also about timing and the length is evident when blocking, too. It can bail him out of bad situations. The Redskins didn't have a tight end with that length last season. Sprinkle still must make the roster with a good showing in the preseason, but he has tools the coaches like.

sprinkle is popping up