• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Training Camp 2017

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two strong days of practice are in the books for the Washington Redskins, with a day off coming on Wednesday in the form of a special teams practice.

Monday's 11-on-11 sessions were the best of camp thus far, and while Tuesday's weren't as extensive, they still provided good competition and showcased the team's depth. Some observations:

--The best play of camp, by far, took place on Tuesday. Receiver Terrelle Pryor caught a high, arching fade route with just one hand, while being held back by Dashaun Phillips.

--With Jamison Crowder and Jordan Reed both out due to injury, Pryor has quickly moved into the "security blanket" receiver slot previously occupied by the other two and Pierre Garcon. Kirk Cousins is willing to make riskier throws to Pryor than he is any other receiver.

--While things are very much positive for the offense as a whole, there are noticeable struggles during red-zone drills. The team just isn't as effective inside of a confined space, a repeat of last year's struggles.

--The fade route is still very much alive and well at this year's camp. One theory I have: It's one of the least risky red-zone plays to run, as it almost never ends with a turnover. Is it possible Gruden prefers a non-negative outcome to letting Cousins freelance inside the 20, where defenders are often swarming?

--Don't count out Matt Jones at running back. He still has to beat out Mack Brown for a spot, but Jones is getting significant time, and the coaching staff is clearly still evaluating him. He's a tenacious runner who could make an impact in the NFL if he solves his fumbling woes. I don't think any of this team's running backs could be described as "elite," which adds to the need to find production.

--I've heard the same things as others, that Samaje Perine is struggling in pass protection and other areas. In the drills I've had a chance to watch, that hasn't been the case. Of course, I don't have access to the same film breakdowns and extensive football knowledge as the coaching staff.

--Mack Brown had a very nice blitz pickup of Trent Murphy during Tuesday's session. Murphy comes in with a full head of steam, too, so Brown had to give his body up to make that play.

--Jordan Reed's extended absence is revealing that while Vernon Davis is a suitable short-term replacement, it's not a good idea to count on him for a full 16-game season.

--No inside info here, but I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches consider only taking two quarterbacks into the season if Nate Sudfeld struggles in preseason action.

--Kirk Cousins, ever the football enthusiast, was so happy after he scored a running touchdown on Tuesday that he heaved the ball across the field, hitting one of the VIP tents on the other side.

--Enthusiasm has been a big part of this camp. Yesterday the first-team defense got the crowd chanting "de-fense" while the second and third-team units were working out. That camaraderie is something Gruden has been looking for.

--I don't mention Colt McCoy often, but the team doesn't take him for granted. He's led a handful of successful drives over the past two days, and I think he'd keep the offense rolling just fine if he were needed for a few games. The big question, as always, is his long-term durability.

[email protected]

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. very true

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so perine sucks did i read that right:noidea:

Mitziman

i know you don't like to hear the truth, but...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so perine sucks did i read that right:noidea:

Perine will be pretty good IMO coach. Similar size, speed, vision and strength to a former RB that played for the Cowboys back in the 90's.

Just ask @PDay8810 what he thinks about samajie.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it said he struggles in pass protection and he struggles in other areas well that dont sound good we will see

Where did it say he struggles in pass protection?

Where did it say he struggles in other areas?

I have heard a lot of good things from Perrine so far except for one play. That one play he was in position which is the most important part for a back.