• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade Rumors

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course this is the time of season that present insane trade ideas by fans. However, I came across this article about bears and jags. Still seems unrealistic but if this is true trade value type of trade, we should be in on this.

Would depend on salary (Bengals have about $9M in space, but need room for injuries and other added expenses as the year goes along) and of course trade compensation.

Bengals really value their picks - so it would have to be a player swap to be most likely - and I don't really know that the Bengals have an even swap unless they want to trade a inconsistent DE like Oassai for an inconsistent DE...but, could work in a rotation with Hubbard and Hendrickson and Murphy.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would depend on salary (Bengals have about $9M in space, but need room for injuries and other added expenses as the year goes along) and of course trade compensation.

Bengals really value their picks - so it would have to be a player swap to be most likely - and I don't really know that the Bengals have an even swap unless they want to trade a inconsistent DE like Oassai for an inconsistent DE...but, could work in a rotation with Hubbard and Hendrickson and Murphy.
Something stinks about the idea that Walker is available. Why would Jax cut a young passrusher with massive upside? He's only in year 3, so they still control him for 2 more years. He had 10 sacks last year and 6 already this year. Unless the guy is a complete headcase, there would be no reason to give him away for a 4th rounder.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel the same way about the Crosby rumors. Why would the Raiders move him for anything more than a haul? They still have him for 2 years beyond this year and he is a cornerstone of their franchise. Adams was never a fit with the team after they got rid of Carr and he was also getting old. Crosby is in his prime and will remain so for the next 2 years of his deal. If I were the Raiders, I'd only move him for multiple first round picks. And nobody is offering.

This is the thing that always drove me crazy about the trade deadline in baseball. You have fans of good teams just picking out guys from bad teams regardless of the contract situation and regardless of considering what sorts of motivations a team would have to move a guy. As Tobin said a few offseasons ago, it's not the job of a GM to make another team better. Nobody needs to feel sorry for Detroit losing Hutch - They don't "deserve" another teams players just because that team is losing.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something stinks about the idea that Walker is available. Why would Jax cut a young passrusher with massive upside? He's only in year 3, so they still control him for 2 more years. He had 10 sacks last year and 6 already this year. Unless the guy is a complete headcase, there would be no reason to give him away for a 4th rounder.
THat is why I am saying, it sounds too good to be true. One of those idiot trade rumors. However, I will be honest, I am better at picking out trade value for our players not other teams players as I don't know them as well. Walker would for sure be one of those.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THat is why I am saying, it sounds too good to be true. One of those idiot trade rumors. However, I will be honest, I am better at picking out trade value for our players not other teams players as I don't know them as well. Walker would for sure be one of those.
Yeah. It just seems odd to me. If I'm Jacksonville, my first priority is to fire the coach and start something new next year. I certainly wouldn't give away an asset like Walker - A guy that can rush the passer and is still team controlled for two more seasons. That was a roster that was playing for a #1 seed as late as last December when we beat them on MNF. They've collapsed since that point, but an optimist could see a path for them over the next two years if they had the right staff.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. It just seems odd to me. If I'm Jacksonville, my first priority is to fire the coach and start something new next year. I certainly wouldn't give away an asset like Walker - A guy that can rush the passer and is still team controlled for two more seasons. That was a roster that was playing for a #1 seed as late as last December when we beat them on MNF. They've collapsed since that point, but an optimist could see a path for them over the next two years if they had the right staff.
Yeah. Not sure what happened to the Jags.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That all depends...

For a team like Jax or even the Raiders...yes...you have a good DE, and that is a premium position. But, you are also, likely, not contending for what....at least 2 more years? Maye more?

In the case of Crosby - he's 27....you could ask for a HAUL in return for draft capital to help the rebuilding. Maybe not as pressing with Walker since he's younger...but same still applies...how long will he actually be there if they aren't winning. Eventually both guys will leave for greener pastures...or money....but either way...Max has a limited shelf-life in terms of trade because if they hold onto him for 2+ more years, that will eliminate at least 1/3 of the trade partners because they won't want to re-sign/over pay for 5 years of a guy going into his 30's....

Regardless - While I agree, it doesn't make a ton of sense to trade either - you can still see why making a trade now, especially for Crosby, can not only benefit the team getting the player, but also aid in the trading team speed up/deepen their rebuild process through the draft.

Crosby could net you a couple of 2nd/3rd rounders over the next 2 drafts. Maybe more/less depending on if you decide to send another player....Sure, Raiders can keep him, but as I said - how long before they are winning? Then what? 2-3 years and they likely don't have him anyway....

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That all depends...

For a team like Jax or even the Raiders...yes...you have a good DE, and that is a premium position. But, you are also, likely, not contending for what....at least 2 more years? Maye more?

In the case of Crosby - he's 27....you could ask for a HAUL in return for draft capital to help the rebuilding. Maybe not as pressing with Walker since he's younger...but same still applies...how long will he actually be there if they aren't winning. Eventually both guys will leave for greener pastures...or money....but either way...Max has a limited shelf-life in terms of trade because if they hold onto him for 2+ more years, that will eliminate at least 1/3 of the trade partners because they won't want to re-sign/over pay for 5 years of a guy going into his 30's....

Regardless - While I agree, it doesn't make a ton of sense to trade either - you can still see why making a trade now, especially for Crosby, can not only benefit the team getting the player, but also aid in the trading team speed up/deepen their rebuild process through the draft.

Crosby could net you a couple of 2nd/3rd rounders over the next 2 drafts. Maybe more/less depending on if you decide to send another player....Sure, Raiders can keep him, but as I said - how long before they are winning? Then what? 2-3 years and they likely don't have him anyway....
I'm not against them moving Crosby. But I think you would do better trying to move him in the offseason when FA starts. There will be more teams that have more cap space.... And teams make silly deals in March. The expanded pool of interested teams probably means more competition and a better return.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not against them moving Crosby. But I think you would do better trying to move him in the offseason when FA starts. There will be more teams that have more cap space.... And teams make silly deals in March. The expanded pool of interested teams probably means more competition and a better return.
Agreed. You can kind of drive up the asking price when teams have more cap space.

Was just meaning a trade in general can still make sense, even when guys are under contract...the building phase likely would play a role in the expected impact of the player being discussed. In the case of Jax - you have a bit more time because he's younger....and if you hold onto him for 2+ more years...you can still, likely, get a good return. In the case of Max - while I'm sure he'll still be a very good DE - if you wat, now he's 30....and some teams are really hesitant to give big deals to guys who are going to be playing those deals in their 30's (Bengals one of them). So...timing is a bit of a key.

Like you said - if you do it this off-season, I think it makes a lot of sense for Max depending on how quickly the Raiders think they can get back to competing - but without a legit QB.....whooof....