• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

top ten buy-out candidates

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
10. Jody Shelley, Flyers
With the Flyers acquiring the rights to ex-Coyotes goalie Ilya Bryzgalov and the team in tight to the cap, a veteran enforcer such as Shelley (who has two years left at a cap hit of $1.1 million) could be sacrificed.

9. Nikolai Khabibulin, Oilers
Khabibulin hasn’t been a total washout since he signed a four-year, $15-million deal in 2009. But he’s won just 17 games since then and is a 38-year-old whose best days clearly are behind him.

8. Jason Blake, Ducks
The 37-year-old Blake had 16 goals for Anaheim this season. Is that worth $4 million in 2011-12, the final year of the five-year deal he signed with Toronto back in 2007? No, it isn’t. The Ducks have cap concerns as well, meaning it’s time for Blake to move on.

7. Cam Barker, Wild
Although he’s only 25, Barker never has panned out as someone drafted third overall, as he was in 2004. Moreover, he’s scheduled to have a cap hit of nearly $3.1 million next season. The Wild need cap room, so he may go.

6. Rostislav Olesz, Panthers
Yes, Olesz missed 38 games last season due to injuries and only scored six goals and 17 points. But he’s only reached the 14-goal plateau mark twice in his six-year NHL career. With three years and about $9.4 million left on his contract, he’s earning too much to be that unproductive.

5. Brian Rolston, Devils
The 38-year-old Rolston looked to be out of gas early last season; he was waived twice by the Devils before coming on stronger at the end and finishing with 14 goals and 34 points in 65 games. Still, that’s not enough to justify the $5 million he’s due to earn in 2011-12.

4. Mike Commodore, Blue Jackets
Once a folk hero in Columbus, Commodore fell out of favor with team coaches and management last season and was waived and shipped to the American League in January for the rest of the season. He has two years with a $3.75 million cap hit left on his deal and you can’t imagine the Jackets owners will want to keep paying him to play in the minors.

3. J-P Dumont, Predators
Dumont has spent the past five seasons with the Preds, but was a healthy scratch on numerous occasions down the stretch and in the playoffs for them this season. He has one year and $4 million left on his contract, far too much to pay him to sit in the press box.

2. Sheldon Souray, Oilers
Souray, who turns 35 next month, has been worn down by his physical style of play and injuries, but he has one more season (with a $4.5 million salary) left to go on his contract. Oilers brass wouldn’t be spiteful enough to make him play in the AHL for two straight years, would they?

1. Chris Drury, Rangers
He’s had a stellar decade-plus in the NHL, but Drury’s massive cap hit - $7.05 million for one more season - has him square in the sights of a Rangers team that needs to pare down costs wherever possible. His career isn’t over, but at that price tag, it’s almost certainly over in Manhattan.

The Hockey News: THN.com Top 10: THN.com Top 10: NHL buyout candidates

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does it bring a smile to my face that the Oilers have two players on this list?

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does it bring a smile to my face that the Oilers have two players on this list?

It brings a smile to my face that the Leafs - amazingly - have nobody on this list.....yet.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

I'm also quite surprised that the Wild are up against the cap.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It brings a smile to my face that the Leafs - amazingly - have nobody on this list.....yet.

I think I heard that the Leafs had the 3rd best record in the league in the 2nd half of the season. Ron Wilson better get that team into the playoffs next season.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately I don't think rolston will be, as I think he counts against the cap at his full 5 mil either way due to his age when he signed (over 35) but I could be wrong

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, glad the Caps escaped without anybody here as well.

So long Michael Nylander. Your contract is done. Hope you enjoyed getting $4+ million per to play minor league hockey for a little while. Think of it as a really good paying hobby.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately I don't think rolston will be, as I think he counts against the cap at his full 5 mil either way due to his age when he signed (over 35) but I could be wrong

Yeah I don't think it will happen either, just have to wait it out one more season. To think we could have a top line forward or top pairing D man for that salary. Anybody know if the 35+ rule applies to a player on long term IR?

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it does but its omitted, that's why when Hecwasnt earlier in the year it bought us roster room. All I know is after this year the devils are going to have close to 18 mil in cap I believe

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it does but its omitted, that's why when Hecwasnt earlier in the year it bought us roster room. All I know is after this year the devils are going to have close to 18 mil in cap I believe

Which is perfect for the Parise extension, plus Tedenby and JJ will be due for a raise.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to think that Brodeur is gonna have to be replaced in the pretty near future, but $18M is a lot of cake for the Devils. After Parise and Tedenby they should have some left over or 1 or 2 really solid pieces.

For me the cap space is all in when you use it. My Sens have between 14-17 MIL in cap space this year with 17 big leaguers already signed. Personally I don't think they can get anything this year that will make them contenders, so I'd rather see them wait at least a year.

The Devs, being as shrewd as they generally are, might decide to wait too.