• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top Prospects List

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sharks don't have any prospects. We trade them and our top draft picks every year for that vet that is supposed to put us over the top but ends up injured in the playoffs or utterly disappearing.

Not entirely true. Couture was the Sharks top prospect coming into last season. Now I guess D Nick Petrecki gets the top spot. Taylor Doherty is an intriguing prospect though. At 6'7 220 lbs. Once he fills out he's could be SCARY.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin Marshall a 21 year old defenseman is a young guy to keep an eye on. He's a stay at home defenseman.

At forward Michael Chaput a 3rd rounder in 2010 is another one to watch. Although his team Lewiston was disbanned. Not sure where he's going to play this season. There was a dispersal draft. I don't know who selected him.

As I was searching to find out who took him in the dispersal draft I noticed that his rights have actually been traded to the Blue Jackets.

He was the 3rd pick in the dispersal draft. The 2012 Memorial Cup hosting Shawinigan Cataractes selected him. They traded for that pick. As the host team they are guaranteed to spot in the tournament so he'll play in it for sure as long a he stays healthy. That of course is assuming he's not traded or playing in the NHL, both pretty safe assumptions.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steven Anthony - good player for the SeaDogs, we'll see what develops.

We're really hoping to have Steven Anthony back for 1 last year in junior next season to help try to repeat but it doesn't sound too promising. I think he's still a few years away from getting any serious NHL consideration but he is now signed and at 20 will be eligible for the AHL, which is where he'll likely play next season.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I was searching to find out who took him in the dispersal draft I noticed that his rights have actually been traded to the Blue Jackets.

He was the 3rd pick in the dispersal draft. The 2012 Memorial Cup hosting Shawinigan Cataractes selected him. They traded for that pick. As the host team they are guaranteed to spot in the tournament so he'll play in it for sure as long a he stays healthy. That of course is assuming he's not traded or playing in the NHL, both pretty safe assumptions.

Was Chaput part of the Carter trade?

jojoh07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Canucks:

not sure if you can call Tanev or Schneider prospects still, but they are both studs.
Tanev came from out of no where, and could legitimately take top 4 minutes on a thinner team.
Schneider has delivered excellence at every level. Number 1 goalie for someone for a long, long time.

Cody Hodgson - uphill battle with him, both health wise, and getting minutes wise. Grade A prospect, but treading on kind of thin ice to being downgraded from that.
Eddie Lack - has followed Schneider's career path pretty closely. Became an excellent goalie in the AHL throughout last year.
Jordan Schroeder - was an absolute stud for USA at the WJC. took a bit of a step backwards in the AHL last year, so this season will be a big one for him.
Anton Rodin - again, was a monster for Sweden in the WJHC. Looked like a man among boys in some games. Is troubled by a shoulder injury, I hope that's not chronic.
Kevin Connauton - Speaking of men among boys, he was just that for the Vancouver Giants in his final year. was solid in AHL last year, should be in the bigs full time the season after this. solid, solid player.
Billy Sweatt - wheels galore. don't know if it will turn into anything
Darren Archibald - turned his Jr. game from goon to pretty good scorer. This is his first pro camp, but will be interesting to watch.
Steven Anthony - good player for the SeaDogs, we'll see what develops.

We'll see who else steps up in training camp. I'm sure someone will chip in if I've forgotten anyone of note.

No love for Nicklas Jensen ??

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was Chaput part of the Carter trade?

That was my 1st guess as well but no. I can't seem to find the same link again that gives the details of the trade but it looks like it was done back in February. None of the other names involved really jumped out at me. Although they may to you since you seem to have very good knowledge of all teams' prospects.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my 1st guess as well but no. I can't seem to find the same link again that gives the details of the trade but it looks like it was done back in February. None of the other names involved really jumped out at me. Although they may to you since you seem to have very good knowledge of all teams' prospects.

When your team stinks up the ice for a few years the draft becomes a big deal because they're picking near the top. So I've read up on a lot of the prospects from the past few years.

Heck on the Isles fan site they've already got a 2012 draft thread in the prospects forum. I mean it's a bit early isn't it. Granted the Isles defense could have really used Ehrhoff & Dipietro is a big ??, but that's a given.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When your team stinks up the ice for a few years the draft becomes a big deal because they're picking near the top. So I've read up on a lot of the prospects from the past few years.

Heck on the Isles fan site they've already got a 2012 draft thread in the prospects forum. I mean it's a bit early isn't it. Granted the Isles defense could have really used Ehrhoff & Dipietro is a big ??, but that's a given.

That was my guess but I didn't want to come out and say it. Haha! I actually expect the Isles to start breaking through soon. You seem to have a lot of good young prospects and sooner or later something has got to give.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my guess but I didn't want to come out and say it. Haha! I actually expect the Isles to start breaking through soon. You seem to have a lot of good young prospects and sooner or later something has got to give.

Right now the only prospect I expect to make the team & stay is Nino. De Haan & Donovan have a shot. Strome shouldn't be rushed & I don't think he will be. Kirill Petrov would be almost a lock to make the team, but he has 1 more year left on his contract in the KHL. He's going to miss prospect camp because of a family illness as well.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simon Despres, D
Eric Tangradi, LW
Beau Bennett, RW
Dustin Jeffrey, C
Tom Kühnhackl, C
Brian Strait, D
Robert Bortuzzo, D
Brad Thiessen, G
Ken Agostino, LW
Carl Sneep, D

Our system is...well, it's okay, but like NHL future says, lots of boom/bust in that. No sure fire prospects. Our D looks good for the future though.

Prospects become a little less valuable/necessary when your best players are in that 20-25 years old range. All our "prospects" already have a couple years of NHL experience.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prospects become a little less valuable/necessary when your best players are in that 20-25 years old range. All our "prospects" already have a couple years of NHL experience.

Very good point. But they're good to have for trade value in general.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

also very necessary to have entry-level players (or similarly budgeted players) contribute when you have 2 forwards combining for $17.4 mill salary/cap hit.

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No one in Detroit's organization can really be considered "blue chip", but there are some guys who could develop into real solid players.

Brendan Smith For some reason, the Detroit homer/prospect booster club is insistent on selling this guy as a "big" defenseman. He's not, and I don't think he ever will be. He's basically got Nick Lidstrom's build, so obviously he'll never succeed at the NHL level. I think some people are still miffed the Wings passed on Petrecki, and think that in order to make their balls bigger they need to pump up how big and mean all their prospects are. It doesn't matter, this kid has the skills to be a force at the NHL level. He's a great skater, a great puck mover, and has great offensive vision. Potential-wise, he could be anywhere from a top four defenseman who's great on the power play and slightly shaky in his own zone, to a top two guy who's got a good all around game. He's had some off ice issues in Wisconsin, but I think Grand Rapids and Detroit are great places for him to cut his teeth and get in line. I loved watching him in a Badger uni, in a Griffins uni, and hopefully someday in a Wings uni for a long time.

Jan Mursak He might be faster than Helm. This guy simply flies. He looks like he's got offensive capabilities, but I get the feeling he's going to be the new Filppula. Good in all three zones, smart, steady, always on the verge of breaking out but only showing flashes of brilliance. He could be a really good top six guy if he pans out though.

Tomas Tatar This guy just looks like the real deal. He's very quick, he's very smart, he's a great puckhandler, he's flat out dangerous in the offensive zone. Sharp wrister, great passer, good vision, his only knock is his size. He's small... you know, like Theo Fleury or Marty St. Louis. I don't think he'll be that good, but he's got skills, determination, and he's not afraid of traffic. I can't wait for this kid to make a splash.

JJoakim Andersson Maybe not the best talent-wise out of the bunch, but probably the most likely to make an impact in the NHL. Great two way player, he will probably center the third line and kill penalties for a long time.

Gustav Nyquist Had three great years in Maine, and turned a lot of heads. He's sort of a Zetterberg light, very dogged in his persuit of the puck, good two way player, smart playmaker. He could center a second line some day, and maybe get some power play time.

I'm getting excited about these guys. Mursak should log some decent minutes. Holland and Babcock have seemed pretty high on him since day one.

...Oh and don't forget about Janik. He's been a prospect for like 15 years!

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm getting excited about these guys. Mursak should log some decent minutes. Holland and Babcock have seemed pretty high on him since day one.

...Oh and don't forget about Janik. He's been a prospect for like 15 years!

Just because Doug Janik loves Dollar Beer night and college girls in Grand Rapids doesn't make him a prospect...