• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 16 Team Playoff

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not as big of an urgency the last couple years since the Western dominance hasn't been nearly as significant. But do you think we'll ever see a playoff where it's the top 16 teams period, regardless of conference?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not as big of an urgency the last couple years since the Western dominance hasn't been nearly as significant. But do you think we'll ever see a playoff where it's the top 16 teams period, regardless of conference?

Yeah 2053

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it, but I would love to see them go to a 12 team playoff like the NFL.

Want to fix the problem of stars sitting regular season games? Limit the playoffs to 6 teams per conference, return the first round to best of 5 and give the top two seeds from each a bye. That way, regular season games are more important because fewer teams make it and the top two seeds become infinitely more desireable.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've wanted it in the NHL for yrs. Sure you'd have travel issues but other than that it's a good idea both in the NHL and NBA. You'd get some different playoff matches every year as well.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it, but I would love to see them go to a 12 team playoff like the NFL.

Want to fix the problem of stars sitting regular season games? Limit the playoffs to 6 teams per conference, return the first round to best of 5 and give the top two seeds from each a bye. That way, regular season games are more important because fewer teams make it and the top two seeds become infinitely more desireable.

Owners collectively took a dump and are flinging it at pictures of you for even suggesting that they reduce the number or hugely profitable games for their franchises. You just cut 10's of millions of dollars in revenue generated by cutting 4 playoff series (by giving out the byes).

There's no chance the NBA cuts games or revenue, considering the boom.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Owners collectively took a dump and are flinging it at pictures of you for even suggesting that they reduce the number or hugely profitable games for their franchises. You just cut 10's of millions of dollars in revenue generated by cutting 4 playoff series (by giving out the byes).

There's no chance the NBA cuts games or revenue, considering the boom.

I know it will never happen, but that does not mean it wouldn't be good for the league.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it will never happen, but that does not mean it wouldn't be good for the league.

It would be terrible for league revenue, and that's sort of the whole enchilada.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be terrible for league revenue, and that's sort of the whole enchilada.

If current trends continue, regular season games are become less and less meaningful and playoff series more predictable. As star players get rested to preserve for more meaningful games later on, it will eventually hurt revenue.

Just because the league is booming today, does not mean that will always be the case.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If current trends continue, regular season games are become less and less meaningful and playoff series more predictable. As star players get rested to preserve for more meaningful games later on, it will eventually hurt revenue.

Just because the league is booming today, does not mean that will always be the case.

Well, that's like, your opinion, man. LOL

I'm pretty sure the NBA has top men figuring out how to maximize revenue. I think what you are saying is you personally will lose interest over time if trends continue, but they count on more people having no problem with it.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that's like, your opinion, man. LOL

I'm pretty sure the NBA has top men figuring out how to maximize revenue. I think what you are saying is you personally will lose interest over time if trends continue, but they count on more people having no problem with it.

That is not what I am saying at all.

You guys are talking 100% about revenue.

What I am saying is that my idea would improve quality of the product. It will never happen because of the lost revenue, but it would make regular season games more important if it ever did. That was my point.

Playoffs are not that meaningful when more than half the teams make it. Regular season is not meaningful because it is easy to make the playoffs for any decent team.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is not what I am saying at all.

You guys are talking 100% about revenue.

What I am saying is that my idea would improve quality of the product. It will never happen because of the lost revenue, but it would make regular season games more important if it ever did. That was my point.

Playoffs are not that meaningful when more than half the teams make it. Regular season is not meaningful because it is easy to make the playoffs for any decent team.

I don't disagree with you, there's a reason for the saying "the season doesn't really start until the playoffs". But when we noted that your idea would cost the league money, you replied eventually it would "actually hurt revenue" to keep things And I just responded to that saying no, it wouldn't. So the bottom line is while your idea would make the regular season matter more, the NBA probably agrees but has no interest in costing themselves money just to make that happen.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with you, there's a reason for the saying "the season doesn't really start until the playoffs". But when we noted that your idea would cost the league money, you replied eventually it would "actually hurt revenue" to keep things And I just responded to that saying no, it wouldn't. So the bottom line is while your idea would make the regular season matter more, the NBA probably agrees but has no interest in costing themselves money just to make that happen.

Eventually it could hurt league revenue if fans start tuning out regular season games. That is a definite possibility. We are not there yet, but it could happen at some point if current trends continue to get worse.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eventually it could hurt league revenue if fans start tuning out regular season games. That is a definite possibility. We are not there yet, but it could happen at some point if current trends continue to get worse.

It's a possibility, but in my opinion very unlikely. And the few dollars they lose that way would never make up for the much larger amount they would lose having less playoff teams