• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

too soon for an NFL thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was listed even prior to his announcement as a mid round pick. He's been called "a man without a position", as he's too small to be a DE and too big to be a LB. His best shot is scaling back on the size, moving to OLB in a 3-4 scheme. He was a sack machine at Mizzou. No way he should go undrafted, that's for sure, but he is a bit of a project, not a guy that you immediately slot in, which is why he's not going in the top rounds.

EDIT: I just hope he goes to a team that supports him as a human and as a professional. Because he's a good player, I'd love for my team to draft him. But based on my teams needs, I wouldn't draft him until 4th-5th.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
He was a sack machine at Mizzou.

don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it.

/seriously though. huge courage at this time in his career.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
breaks down a pretty big wall.
Based on some of the threads on here (not the NHL board), some walls are thicker than others.

Last edited by a moderator:

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess he doesnt have the motor to be a cam wake type de then?

We'll happily take him in the cfl if the bigoted nfl gms want to send him to the isle of misfit toys

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw bodog has it at 2 to 1 he doesnt get drafted ... Jeesh

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
humanity sucks, for the most part. or maybe it's just puritanity.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can see pete carroll/john schneider taking him ... Same size as cliff avril and chris clemons

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it. don't say it.

:spit:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
humanity sucks, for the most part. or maybe it's just puritanity.

I just hope for my own personal amusement that he is drafted by Washington.

My brother in law is one of those "I am boycotting Coke / will always support Chick Fil A" types. He is a Redskins fan.

Otherwise... how is this a story? He can play. Let him. This isn't that complicated.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My brother in law is one of those "I am boycotting Coke / will always support Chick Fil A" types. He is a Redskins fan.

Otherwise... how is this a story? He can play. Let him. This isn't that complicated.

I was listening to a Marco Iannuzzi (BC Lions receiver) interview yesterday and I thought this comment was bang on - He thought it was great that there was very little talk about a black QB (Russell Wilson) winning the Super Bowl. He then said that hopefully one day soon we can get to a point where they will be very little talk about gay athletes in professional team sports.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was listening to a Marco Iannuzzi (BC Lions receiver) interview yesterday and I thought this comment was bang on - He thought it was great that there was very little talk about a black QB (Russell Wilson) winning the Super Bowl. He then said that hopefully one day soon we can get to a point where they will be very little talk about gay athletes in professional team sports.

What a wonderful world it will be.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking forward to the NFL draft this year! Both of my teams picking high in the first round!

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw some interesting quotes from a radio broadcast. Cyd Zeigler, a confidant of Sam's, said he prays that Sam doesn't end up with Dallas, Washington, or NY Jets.
Outsports? Cyd Zeigler: ?I Pray to God? Michael Sam Doesn?t End Up a Redskin « CBS DC

Awww c'mon! That has the most comedy potential. Whacked out liberals weighing the idea of buying up Redskins gear by the truckload to show support? Hardcore conservatives trying to defend boycotting something they don't agree with after all the years of telling people to shut up about the name? Dan Snyder forced to consider how to sell advertising for inevitable halftime marriages?

IT WILL BE HILARIOUS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's a story because it's a first. While he wasn't facing the sort of barrier Jackie Robinson faced, there is an inherently homophobic attitude (be it overt or subtle) in most NFL locker rooms. Him being out necessitates an attitude shift in the sport, and ultimately across major American professional sports as a whole.

It's a story because the culture of sports and athletes makes it a story, essentially.

Obviously, the ideal case is one in which any and every player is judged on his (or her) ability in the sport, sportsmanship, and how they conduct themselves off the field, by which I mean whether or not the person treats those around them with respect, helps out in the community, and remains down-to-earth, approachable, and pleasant with the public, and not on race, creed, religion, sexual orientation, or any of those other entirely irrelevant features of their person. But we're not there yet, as a country or as a sports culture.

And really, we still see this with black athletes, so it will likely be a while with gay athletes as well. Although, with gay athletes, they pretty much have to announce it for it to become a thing, so perhaps it will take less time. But then again, the way our media and culture obsess over the personal lives of athletes and celebrities, that's certainly no given.

Status
Not open for further replies.