• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Too early to talk about draft

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is, he probably should stay at florida and get another year under his belt.

The more I think about it, keeping Geno should be priority #1, priority #2 is build the defense.

Geno isnt the problem with this team
I agree I know we talk about him not stepping up to the plate at the end of the game but on the other side of the coin he hasn’t lost any games either. That needs to be taken into consideration as well

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sounds like he would be expensive. Are folks OK with the Seahawks paying him 38Million? 31 million? At what point is it too much?

Geno isn't young either.

View attachment 315590
In 2023, is that really that expensive for starting quarterback in the NFL these days? That would be almost 20m less a year from some of the other starting quarterbacks in the league

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2023, is that really that expensive for starting quarterback in the NFL these days? That would be almost 20m less a year from some of the other starting quarterbacks in the league
I would prefer closer to $25m

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the Seahawks it would be expensive. They have a hair less then 30 million in "effective cap space" Seahawks have 32 players under contract in 2023 they have to have 51 so they have to sign 19 players and if you only pay the absolute minimum to those 19, Seahawks have 30 million left and of course some ( many?) of these players are going to make more ( much more?) then minimum. A rookie QB salary likely be 6 million at max and likely less. Much more attractive then 31-38 million for Geno. Paying Geno that kind of money puts the Seahawks back to squeezing salaries of other players, shopping the bargain bin department for FAs. What do you do if Geno bombs next season?
I'd be fine with signing Geno 20+ not OK with paying him 30+.
Last QB to be a late bloomer at QB was Rich Gannon with the Raiders in 2000. How confident are you that Geno will be fine next year? How about the year after that? Remember that would be at 30+ per year.
MrS had the right idea tag him and trade him if he cost much more then 20 million. There are 13 QBs making 30+ including Wilson, Ryan, Wentz, Stafford among others aren't you happy Seahawks escaped that trap?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the Seahawks it would be expensive. They have a hair less then 30 million in "effective cap space" Seahawks have 32 players under contract in 2023 they have to have 51 so they have to sign 19 players and if you only pay the absolute minimum to those 19, Seahawks have 30 million left and of course some ( many?) of these players are going to make more ( much more?) then minimum. A rookie QB salary likely be 6 million at max and likely less. Much more attractive then 31-38 million for Geno. Paying Geno that kind of money puts the Seahawks back to squeezing salaries of other players, shopping the bargain bin department for FAs. What do you do if Geno bombs next season?
I'd be fine with signing Geno 20+ not OK with paying him 30+.
Last QB to be a late bloomer at QB was Rich Gannon with the Raiders in 2000. How confident are you that Geno will be fine next year? How about the year after that? Remember that would be at 30+ per year.
MrS had the right idea tag him and trade him if he cost much more then 20 million. There are 13 QBs making 30+ including Wilson, Ryan, Wentz, Stafford among others aren't you happy Seahawks escaped that trap?

I would imagine Diggs, Jefferson, and Jackson is gone... that frees up $25 with dead cap.. I would also imagine Adams is cut after this year so that frees up your future year signings.

Jefferson/Jackson have been useless this year, and Diggs is not playing the level he is for a high end safety. Resigning him IMO was a mistake.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would imagine Diggs, Jefferson, and Jackson is gone... that frees up $25 with dead cap.. I would also imagine Adams is cut after this year so that frees up your future year signings.

Jefferson/Jackson have been useless this year, and Diggs is not playing the level he is for a high end safety. Resigning him IMO was a mistake.
Adams would be 21 mil in dead money and cost an extra 3.2 mil to the cap. The rest would save about 20 mil in cap with 15 in dead money and you have to replace them and replacing them with better players AND save on the cap could be hard, might replace them with worse players and barely save cap space with the crazy salaries now a days. I get folks are champing at the bit to cut Adams but going to have to wait until 2024.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adams would be 21 mil in dead money and cost an extra 3.2 mil to the cap. The rest would save about 20 mil in cap with 15 in dead money and you have to replace them and replacing them with better players AND save on the cap could be hard, might replace them with worse players and barely save cap space with the crazy salaries now a days. I get folks are champing at the bit to cut Adams but going to have to wait until 2024.

I mid-worded that (apologies) but Adams would be cut after next season, so 2024... cutting him at this point would be uneconomic.

Realize I mis-wrote that, so you're correct.. but just saying we can get $25M with what I'm pretty I got right.. and then Adams we can shed after 2023.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mid-worded that (apologies) but Adams would be cut after next season, so 2024... cutting him at this point would be uneconomic.

Realize I mis-wrote that, so you're correct.. but just saying we can get $25M with what I'm pretty I got right.. and then Adams we can shed after 2023.
You save 20 million by cutting said players but they have to be replaced on the 51 man roster, so 20 divided by 3 is about 7 million per player, to replace them would cost what? If you replace all three with rookies you could save or if you want to replace them with players who would accept minimum pay you could save. However if your goal is to find BETTER players your likely not saving much cap space.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Geno ends up getting somewhere in the mid-$30M range, then what do we think Jimmy Garoppolo is going to get -- more or less than Geno? Up until this season, no one on the planet thought more of Geno than Jimmy except maybe Geno's mom. I guess it might at least partially depend on how things finish out from here, but I guess I would be a bit surprised if both of those players end up with 3+ year contracts with AAV of > $30M.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Geno ends up getting somewhere in the mid-$30M range, then what do we think Jimmy Garoppolo is going to get -- more or less than Geno? Up until this season, no one on the planet thought more of Geno than Jimmy except maybe Geno's mom. I guess it might at least partially depend on how things finish out from here, but I guess I would be a bit surprised if both of those players end up with 3+ year contracts with AAV of > $30M.
I don't see us offering Geno more than a 3 year contract... I wouldn't want to offer him more than 2-3 years... But if I was Geno, it will be his last payday so he could see what the market bears and go with the longer contract... On the other side of the coin, seems like he's very loyal and grateful for Pete and he could decide to stay here knowing that this system helps him be more productive...

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont want to pay him that much.
Hell if teams are willing to pay that much, tag and trade maybe grab another first
No ones trading for Geno.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never too early to talk about the draft.

Dane Brugler of the Athletic has the Seahawks taking Myles Murphy (edge) at #4 and Brian Branch (DB) at #16.

There is a ton of defensive line talent in this draft both in the first and second rounds. Seahawks are projected to have around $53m in cap space with Poona Ford, Austin Blythe, Geno Smith, Rashaad Penny, Cody Barton, Jason Myers, Ryan Neal and Michael Jackson hitting free agency.

Gabe Jackson & Shelby Harris could be potential restructure/cut candidates. If we cut both of them, that would free up about $15.5m in cap space. Ideally it would be nice to restructure both of those contracts as it could save some cap space, which will be valuable if Geno is going to demand $30m+ per year.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had High expectation for the top 5 in this years QB class and none of them even came close to what I wanted to see. They all fell off and/or faltered in their big chance to impress. To much was going on in 20-21 seasons to hard judge them on those performances, this season was the tell all with the pandemic restrictions easing up and they proved to me to be either A) Not ready or B) wasn't as good as we thought.

QB's that have been good like say Allen and Mahomes even Herbert, they would carry their teams in college and put it on their shoulders to win and did just that. I didn't see that from any of the guys this year. Hell Trevor Lawrence's college performance is better than these guys, I would rather the Hawks gave up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him than any of these QB's in the first.

**EDIT**
Matter of fact I would send Jamal Adams, Drew Lock and our 2nd pick in the 2nd round for Lawrence before touching ANY QB in the first OR second rounds.
( I want Jamal OFF this team and take his bad luck with him )

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind Jalen Carter or Will Anderson with our first pick then someone like say Jared Verse DE/OLB from Florida State. In a perfect world we would get both Anderson and Carter but thats a pipe dream. In the 2nd I would grab a Safety and another Linebacker. Barton is fine as a back-up and spot duty work and is a excellent special teamer but not a full time starter type player. Jordan Battle would be a good 2nd round pick at safety and say a ILB like Sewell or Sanders. I would be ecstatic if most of that happened. Our Defense would be prob only one player away if all that happened from being a top flight D. ( Zero if they some how got Carter and Anderson )

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take a guy like Stanford's QB Tanner McKee in the Late 3rd.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take a guy like Stanford's QB Tanner McKee in the Late 3rd.
I've been eyeing him as well in the later 3rd to early 4th round... But I also like the kid from Fresno St, Jake Haener... He will be a very good NFL QB, imo...

Like you, I want us to grab Willy or Jaylen with our 1st overall pick... If we grab Jaylen, then I'd want to target an edge rusher w/ our other 1st rounder... If we draft Willy, i'd want to go safety or DT w/ our other 1st rounder...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been eyeing him as well in the later 3rd to early 4th round... But I also like the kid from Fresno St, Jake Haener... He will be a very good NFL QB, imo...

Like you, I want us to grab Willy or Jaylen with our 1st overall pick... If we grab Jaylen, then I'd want to target an edge rusher w/ our other 1st rounder... If we draft Willy, i'd want to go safety or DT w/ our other 1st rounder...

Not to be that guy, but assuming you mean Jalen (Carter)?

I would also like Jalen, Georgia runs a bit of a 4-3 hybrid that Seattle seems like they want to do (DE, NT, DT, standup EDGE)... they still need to grab a nose tackle in the offseason. I personally think Carter would be better as a 3 tech/4-3 DT but he's ready to go if that's the D we want.

The other MAJOR priority is to get another ILB and get Barton off the field. I would love Sewell out of Oregon in the 2nd round... but either way that position has to be addressed if we're going to run a 3-4 mix or that dumbass 2-4-5 bullshit.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's one I've liked, you think he'll last until the late third? IMO second round at the latest.

@Screamin12th

Agreed Harold. Waltfootball is pretty good at predicting draft picks and they have McKee in the 1st with projected prospect ranking of 1st-2nd.

Not saying everything they report on is 100% accurate and the combine/pro days, etc. haven't happened, but I would also be shocked if he makes it to the 3rd let alone mid-late 2nd.