• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Too early to talk about draft

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm dead set against putting all the eggs in Geno basket as some here suggest we do. That's just crazy talk IMO.

But you aren't even offering up a plan. What do you want the Seahawks to do?
  • Tell Geno "Thanks for all the hard work but we are going to pass because all that talking about always competing was mostly bullshit. Good job on the Pro Bowl season though"
  • Sign <insert QB> that will most likely not be as good as Geno was this. Make it clear that he will probably be fired as the starter at some point during the season
  • Hope that one of the top 3 QBs makes it to us and draft him, whoever it may be?
  • PROFIT!

This is what I just don't get.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know where you get that. Defense played well at times this year - doesn't change the fact that I would rather invest in making the defense better than blowing our load on a 3/4 year wonder at QB.

What are you defining as blowing "our load"? Who would you rather have? Mayfield? Darnold? Carr? Lock?

I'm all for a better plan that doesn't involve a lot of hope and prayers.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Tell Geno "Thanks for all the hard work but we are going to pass because all that talking about always competing was mostly bullshit. Good job on the Pro Bowl season though"
  • Sign <insert QB> that will most likely not be as good as Geno was this. Make it clear that he will probably be fired as the starter at some point during the season
  • Hope that one of the top 3 QBs makes it to us and draft him, whoever it may be?
  • PROFIT!

Well, when you put every option but the one you want in a negative light, then every option other than the one you want is going to seem like a negative thing.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then if they still like a QB or two they have to figure out at what point they need to pull the trigger and draft him.

And if that turns out to be Hooker in the 3rd round, he probably won't be ready to play this season unless pressured. And drafting him doesn't preclude us resigning Geno.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you defining as blowing "our load"? Who would you rather have? Mayfield? Darnold? Carr? Lock?

I'm all for a better plan that doesn't involve a lot of hope and prayers.

I've answered this question - move on

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense was great to finish out the regular season. They gave up 20 points and 312 yards per game over the final 6 games. I know the defense has some improvement to do this offseason, but the defense was just as much to credit for the team being in the playoffs as the offense was. Hell, they held the #1 offense in the NFL to their lowest yards of the season. Just because SF was able to exploit the defense during the playoff game doesn't mean that the Hawks aren't there without the defense playing lights out the last 2 games (It was actually 3, but since the offense couldn't take advantage of a great defensive game against KC they only won the last 2).
I will agree the D had some good moments in the 2nd half of the season, mostly coming against weaker offenses and/or teams missing their starting QB (If Geno's good games get downgraded due to opponent, then I guess the defense gets the same treatment). I think we all saw the problems we had up front in stopping the run, and it was even singled out by PC at the end of the season. We don't have a 1 or the other situation in front of us here with signing Geno and improving the defense, and nobody here is wanting to break the bank at QB.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, when you put every option but the one you want in a negative light, then every option other than the one you want is going to seem like a negative thing.

I'm asking you what do you want the Seahawks to do.

Like it or not, letting Geno go is probably going to have a negative impact on team morale. It will tell other players that the team doesn't reward success, even when the player wants to come back. It's a real factor to consider.

You are a rational poster and you and I generally agree on a lot of things. So I would like to know how you would handle this.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've answered this question - move on

That really isn't a plan. Unless you are saying that you really don't care who plays QB, or whether we will be competitive next year.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • PROFIT!

I'm not worried about Geno feelings, he'll end up with a paycheck that will exceed his career earnings most likely. 20 millions and lots of incentive is fair to both parties and if Geno has a better offer than I wish him luck and concentrate on who is the best option and would certainly feel there is a solution in this draft.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't have a 1 or the other situation in front of us here with signing Geno and improving the defense, and nobody here is wanting to break the bank at QB.

This is the part I find a little weird. It seems that there is NO price that they would bring back Geno for other than maybe backup money.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like it or not, letting Geno go is probably going to have a negative impact on team morale. It will tell other players that the team doesn't reward success, even when the player wants to come back. It's a real factor to consider.

NFL is a business - if a player who is in line for more money than a team should/could afford that should have no affect on team morale. I not only don't see letting Geno walk as being the end of the world, but with the situation the team is in - I feel it could be a net positive. I know you want to think that because his 2022 season that Geno will lead Seattle into the future - but if they keep Geno through the end of Carrol's contract then Carrol will leave Seattle in largely the same situation that Knox did.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried about Geno feelings, he'll end up with a paycheck that will exceed his career earnings most likely. 20 millions and lots of incentive is fair to both parties and if Geno has a better offer than I wish him luck and concentrate on who is the best option and would certainly feel there is a solution in this draft.

It's not about Geno's feelings. He would be gone. It's about all the other players trying to maximize their earnings and succeed for the Seahawks.

If you are willing to sign him for 20 million AAV plus incentives then we are just quibbling on the right number.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the part I find a little weird. It seems that there is NO price that they would bring back Geno for other than maybe backup money.
Yes, there is a relatively small contingent of posters here that isn't being realistic about what the team should pay Geno to stay. They want Geno only if he agrees to some ridiculous lowball, fantasyland number that just isn't going to happen.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For me, it's less about who Geno is and more about what Seattle needs. Yes, I think Geno is being overpriced due to one season. Matt Cassel. That, by itself is irrelevant. Seattle not only needs too many key positions to fill, but key depth as well. The Seahawks may be thinner right now than they have been since Carrol took over.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That really isn't a plan. Unless you are saying that you really don't care who plays QB, or whether we will be competitive next year.

You didn't ask for a plan, you asked me specifically who I wanted. There's plenty of choices I'd rather have than Geno - just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean it isn't an answer.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL is a business - if a player who is in line for more money than a team should/could afford that should have no affect on team morale. I not only don't see letting Geno walk as being the end of the world, but with the situation the team is in - I feel it could be a net positive. I know you want to think that because his 2022 season that Geno will lead Seattle into the future - but if they keep Geno through the end of Carrol's contract then Carrol will leave Seattle in largely the same situation that Knox did.

There are many many different ways to structure Geno's contract so that it is effectively a 2 year contract with a fairly digestible cap hit this year.

I don't see how we will have a better QB situation next year if we move on from Geno.

And I ABSOLUTELY don't get how you can compare anything today to the Knox era. If Pete and John can be 80% as effective in this upcoming draft as they were for the past draft, this team will be fundamentally different and better regardless of the QB situation.

I feel like some of you think that Geno is going to get some gargantuan contract that is going to be an albatross for years to come. That isn't going to happen.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like some of you think that Geno is going to get some gargantuan contract that is going to be an albatross for years to come. That isn't going to happen.

I'm sure we said somewhere that Seattle wouldn't trade Russell Wilson.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, it's less about who Geno is and more about what Seattle needs. Yes, I think Geno is being overpriced due to one season. Matt Cassel. That, by itself is irrelevant. Seattle not only needs too many key positions to fill, but key depth as well. The Seahawks may be thinner right now than they have been since Carrol took over.

We still need a quarterback. Whether it is Geno or someone else. They are going to cost money as well and/or draft capital.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure we said somewhere that Seattle wouldn't trade Russell Wilson.

Well if you think that Geno is getting 5 years 200 million then there isn't much point discussing this since we see things very differently.