• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Too early to talk about draft

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably not. But, truth be told, if there is a team that could probably do with employing the @Wolverine830872 "Get as many picks as possible!" approach it is probably the Bears. The challenge, of course, is having a team that has the assets that they would want.

The Raidahs could perhaps Trade #7, #38 and next year's No. 1. But they would absolutely have to love the QB they are going for.

That's really the only way it makes sense for the Bears. I'm sure they would love to get Carter or Anderson but their team needs more than one defensive stud. But going past #7 would need them to do multiple trades which is pretty unlikely.
Bears should move down and get as much as they can. They have the young QB so now's the time for them to load up on picks and start rebuilding the roster.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same, as I wouldn't be complaining if we even took Bresee at #5. That's an absolute best case scenario for us IMO.

Yup. If they came close to hitting their potential, that would be a franchise changing draft.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty good article. Basically boils down to.

Resign Geno
Sign Deron Payne
Trade down to collect another draft pick
Draft a corner.

I agree with the first 3. We won't do the 4th.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think?

Here is my thought process:

Will Anderson Jr.: BPA
Nolan Smith: Another BPA selection. Anderson and Smith are athletically similar, but I didn't like the other options on the board at this pick. Probably should've tried to trade down but was too lazy to do that. I was considering reaching for Siaki Ika here.
Kelee Ringo: I was surprised PFF had him ranked this low as I personally think he has first round talent. I like this selection a lot more than their grade indicates.
John Michael Schmitz: Best center in the draft.
Keondre Coburn: At 6'2 343 could take over at NT.
Trey Palmer: Seahawks have a #3 WR problem. Hopefully Palmer could help solve that. Had 1043 receiving yards in an offense that only had 2,650 passing yards.
Deuce Vaughn: Adds some depth and could be a great third down option in case we don't retain Penny or Homer.
Chandler Zavala: Interior offensive line depth.
Jake Bobo: Additional competition at WR.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Resign Geno
Sign Deron Payne
Draft a corner.

Also he mentions drafting Ika. Sounds great, but not sure how you pay Geno and pay Payne, guess you push the cap hit down the road as much as possible. Trading the #5 for lower pick plus a first in 2024 sounds good depending on where that pick ends up, pick 25 for example would not be that enticing.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also he mentions drafting Ika. Sounds great, but not sure how you pay Geno and pay Payne, guess you push the cap hit down the road as much as possible. Trading the #5 for lower pick plus a first in 2024 sounds good depending on where that pick ends up, pick 25 for example would not be that enticing.

There are many options but we have 31 million in open cap right now.

Looking at our list of FAs..

We need to resign or replace Ford, Blythe, Haynes, and Penny.

Looking at current cap numbers.

Cutting Jackson/Jefferson/Woods would save us 13 million.

Go with the contract that was suggested for Geno of 3 years 90 million with a 46 million signing bonus and a 2 million salary for 2023. That's a 16 million cap hit. We would still have 28 million to sign other players.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it just depends on which QB is available at 5 and how many teams want to trade up. Titans at #11 and redskins at #16 could be prime teams to snag a future 1, panthers are another possibility at 9 but I only see them giving up a future 1 if another team ups the ante.

in reality though, im not sure it really makes sense for carroll to even worry about taking a QB if we keep geno. I dont think he coaches beyond his contract

Resign Geno
Sign Deron Payne
Draft a corner.

seems like every mock has us taking a corner, many in round 1. its annoying because its not going to happen.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems like every mock has us taking a corner, many in round 1. its annoying because its not going to happen.

National guys never get that Carroll isn't going to draft a corner early.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
National guys never get that Carroll isn't going to draft a corner early.

I know. I keep seeing in mock drafts Seattle taking a corner constantly in round 2 and I simply don't get it. Seattle has severe needs on DL, interior OL, EDGE, and ILB. I'd argue 3 of those 4 positions are all FAR more important than a CB and very difficult to acquire in free agency when a good one exists. Decent ILBs and CBs can be found and traded for fairly easily.

Carroll has a great track record of making trades and draft picks for secondary players. Yes not all have worked out, but that's expected. His track record with drafting secondary and developing the talent has been better than any other coach I can remember. The only 1st round pick they had (and that was a mid 1st, not a top 5 let alone top 10) was ET.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are many options but we have 31 million in open cap right now.

Looking at our list of FAs..

We need to resign or replace Ford, Blythe, Haynes, and Penny.

Looking at current cap numbers.

Cutting Jackson/Jefferson/Woods would save us 13 million.

Go with the contract that was suggested for Geno of 3 years 90 million with a 46 million signing bonus and a 2 million salary for 2023. That's a 16 million cap hit. We would still have 28 million to sign other players.
Effective cap space is 19 million.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Effective cap space is 19 million.

Right now, Seattle has to sign:

2 QBs (1 starting)
1 RB
1 or 2 WRs
1 or 2 OGs
1 C (starting)
1 starting DE
1 starting NT
1 starting ILB
1 or 2 CBs (1 starting)
1 S
1 LS

Geno could cost 15-20m this year.
Payne could cost up to 10m this year

Even with all the cuts, that as little as $15 million to fill out the rest of the roster including up to 6 starters.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Resign Geno
Sign Deron Payne
Draft a corner.

Signing Payne and drafting a dominant edge rusher would immediately transform the defense, but can they also fit Geno in with that scenario? It seems like they could figure out a way to make it work with the cap, but they can't figure out a way to unilaterally make Payne come to Seattle. He could have his heart set on somewhere else, or some other team could come in with a superior offer.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signing Payne and drafting a dominant edge rusher would immediately transform the defense, but can they also fit Geno in with that scenario? It seems like they could figure out a way to make it work with the cap, but they can't figure out a way to unilaterally make Payne come to Seattle. He could have his heart set on somewhere else, or some other team could come in with a superior offer.
No way of knowing whether Payne would want to come here.

But if the Seahawks really wanted him, the cap is not going to prevent it from happening.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way of knowing whether Payne would want to come here.

But if the Seahawks really wanted him, the cap is not going to prevent it from happening.
Davenport is another option on the DL... 1st round pick in 2018 that will be a FA as well...