• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Too bad, so sad, Longhorns

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas reached out to UVa coach Tony Bennett. He told them to hit the road.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I think you have to ask, even tho you know some are not interested.

It's kind of like in sales, if you dont ask, not going to get it.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett is crazy not to listen, if nothing more then to get him and his assistants a raise from Tom Jefferson U.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An ACC coaching job move to any school in the Big 12 isn't even a lateral move except maybe Kansas. There's at least 4 HOF coaches in the ACC. If Bennett wins a Title in the future he will most assuredly be considered. And from where he started that program to where he has it now is just phenomenal.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other thing is, who really knows who's been contacted? And by whom?

All I hear is, AD's saying 'no one has asked permission to speak to so-n-so' and reports saying they have not contacted so-n-so, etc.

Agents do a lot of back-channel messaging, who really knows who the instigator is?

That being said, I'm sure the search committee is calling a number of coaches, to just gauge interest; I mean, you have to ask or you'll get nowhere.

That being said, it would be hard for me to see a coach at a traditional basketball school, be interested in jumping out.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other thing is, who really knows who's been contacted? And by whom?

All I hear is, AD's saying 'no one has asked permission to speak to so-n-so' and reports saying they have not contacted so-n-so, etc.

Agents do a lot of back-channel messaging, who really knows who the instigator is?

That being said, I'm sure the search committee is calling a number of coaches, to just gauge interest; I mean, you have to ask or you'll get nowhere.

That being said, it would be hard for me to see a coach at a traditional basketball school, be interested in jumping out.

Well exactly. Here's how this usually works. You go to the games. You are engaged as an athletic director. Most AD's have a handful of contacts they use as go to guys. Or you go to the hospitality area where other peers will be hanging out. You throw out names and what you may offer as a package deal for head coaches and assistants. You get some interested parties involved. Word spreads. You get a call, etc,etc,etc. It will happen for a big time program like Texas. It's just a matter of time and fitting the right guy.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's clearly waiting for that Wisconsin job.

(I'm kidding but most of my delusional fanbase isn't.)

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An ACC coaching job move to any school in the Big 12 isn't even a lateral move except maybe Kansas. There's at least 4 HOF coaches in the ACC. If Bennett wins a Title in the future he will most assuredly be considered. And from where he started that program to where he has it now is just phenomenal.

You are on crack if you think moving from UVA to Texas is less then a lateral move.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well exactly. Here's how this usually works. You go to the games. You are engaged as an athletic director. Most AD's have a handful of contacts they use as go to guys. Or you go to the hospitality area where other peers will be hanging out. You throw out names and what you may offer as a package deal for head coaches and assistants. You get some interested parties involved. Word spreads. You get a call, etc,etc,etc. It will happen for a big time program like Texas. It's just a matter of time and fitting the right guy.

New AD Patterson is rubbing a number of Texas alums/fans the wrong way, with his focus seemingly only on revenue. His tenure is riding on finding someone to re-ignite the fanbase, specifically BMD's (donors).

With talk that apparently Wright and Bennett both stating they have no interest in leaving, fans are hoping the fact that Shaka Smart has not immediately taken his hat out of the speculation ring is a positive sign.

The rumors are Marshall and Patterson didnt hit it off; dont know of course if that rumor is any more true than all the others...

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are on crack if you think moving from UVA to Texas is less then a lateral move.

I'm not looking at selling crack, using crack, or developing crack or even showing you my crack. Don't look specifically at how much money they spend or have to spend. Basketball is and will always be secondary to football at Texas. No matter how you want to spin it. UVA is a better job than Texas IMHO. Basketball will always be bigger and better than football at UVA.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not looking at selling crack, using crack, or developing crack. Don't look specifically at how much money they spend or have to spend. Basketball is and will always be secondary to football at Texas. No matter how you want to spin it. UVA is a better job than Texas IMHO. Basketball will always be bigger and better than football at UVA.

While I agree that football will only rule texas, you can't discount what the basketball team has done. They made 17 NCAA appearances in 20 years.

Texas has 10 sweet 16's ever/ 7 elite 8's ever and 3 final 4's ever

UVA has 6 tourney appearances during a that 20 year span and 8 sweet 16's ever/5 elite 8's ever and 2 final 4's

I'm sorry but I can't see how you can think UVA is a better job then texas, even the year both these teams have. Texas is the better job.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have at least 2 current HOF bound coaches. Kruger is not chopped liver, Sir.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree that football will only rule texas, you can't discount what the basketball team has done. They made 17 NCAA appearances in 20 years.

Texas has 10 sweet 16's ever/ 7 elite 8's ever and 3 final 4's ever

UVA has 6 tourney appearances during a that 20 year span and 8 sweet 16's ever/5 elite 8's ever and 2 final 4's

I'm sorry but I can't see how you can think UVA is a better job then texas, even its th year both these teams have. Texas is the better job.

It's the job ralphie. Trust me on this. UVA was an original ACC school in a basketball conference. Virginia has a shitload of history beyond the last twenty years. And I'm telling you that UVA is a more prestigious basketball job than Texas. Yes.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have at least 2 current HOF bound coaches. Kruger is not chopped liver, Sir.

Look at the coaches with more than your heart occupant. And I'm not saying the Big 12 doesn't have some great coaches as well. But we are talking a basketball conference versus a football conference. If we were talking football would you take an ACC job at UVA over a Big 12 job at Texas? C'mon now.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the coaches with more than your heart occupant. And I'm not saying the Big 12 doesn't have some great coaches as well. But we are talking a basketball conference versus a football conference. If we were talking football would you take an ACC job at UVA over a Big 12 job at Texas? C'mon now.
Uh...Lon Kruger will be in the CBB HOF, as will Bill Self. Not sure where I could be wrong there.

I'll admit and succumb to the ACC dominance of CBB. Done. But if UVA is offering a guy 3 mil a year to come into the ACC, and texas is offering a guy 3 mil a year to come into the Big XII-2...wouldn't you think the path of least resistance (in terms of championships) would be in the Big XII-2?

Not sure if I would want to face ACC schools all the time...

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UVa plays in a state of the art arena, in the best basketball conference. The UVa job is definitely more desirable than the Texas job. Tony Bennett has proved he can beat blue bloods Duke and UNC without having top tier talent on the roster, so just imagine what he can do with a few 5 stars.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh...Lon Kruger will be in the CFB HOF, as will Bill Self. Not sure where I could be wrong there.

I'll admit and succumb to the ACC dominance of CFB. Done. But if UVA is offering a guy 3 mil a year to come into the ACC, and texas is offering a guy 3 mil a year to come into the Big XII-2...wouldn't you think the path of least resistance (in terms of championships) would be in the Big XII-2?

That's a personal quality of life decision for any coach. Where to live, raise your children. It's not always about the money. I don't live in New York or Los Angeles even though I would probably make a helluva lot more money living there. I was born and raised here in NC and my family is here and my wife's family is here. I have roots here. So all these variables make a coaches decision on where to take a job. Who they work with as athletic director. And quite frankly if there is a mess in the football staff, it would be a red flag or not to make a move to another school.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh...Lon Kruger will be in the CBB HOF, as will Bill Self. Not sure where I could be wrong there.

I'll admit and succumb to the ACC dominance of CBB. Done. But if UVA is offering a guy 3 mil a year to come into the ACC, and texas is offering a guy 3 mil a year to come into the Big XII-2...wouldn't you think the path of least resistance (in terms of championships) would be in the Big XII-2?

To be the best, you have to beat the best.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we all agree the perception Texas and most other schools (other than Kansas) are football first.

What's interesting though is that perceptions can change- the perception is that Texas, in a state with a lot of basketball talent (Kentucky starters, Duke starter, etc), the right coach can excel. It's all about potential, and the fact that Barnes for all his failings, did put the basketball program on a higher plane than it was when he arrived.

The perception in national media is Texas is hovering around the top 10 as a basketball destination. I was somewhat shocked when I read it. And, the Big12, for what it's worth, plays pretty good basketball.

It's not basketball blue blood, not even close. But it has potential. Will take the right coach, and I'm not confident Patterson can get him. Hope he proves me wrong.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to keep on harping on this but I will kind of give you a view from where I sit. When you think of a Power 5 Conference there is perspective. Whether good or bad it's a viewpoint taken by most of America and it's fans of each sport.

The ACC is a predominant basketball first conference. Even though Notre Dame, Florida St, Clemson, Miami, VaTech, have a history of very good football, the ACC is still considered a basketball first conference. uNC, Duke, Louisville, Virginia, Wake Forest, BC, Syracuse, NC State, you think of basketball being the end all be all.

If you look at the Big 12, other than Kansas, the rest of the schools are football first schools.

Therefore, IMHO, UVA will always be a better destination for a basketball coach than a football coach.