• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Too bad, so sad, Longhorns

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Texas job is way different than the Virginia job. Better or worse is going to be determined by the candidates, not us. For some, UVA is more appealing, for others Texas will be.

But Texas has to ask Bennett and likely a few others that won't be interested because that's how this works. As an AD, especially at Texas, you have to at least make some big offers to big names just to keep the fans and boosters form having a fit. It's also a good idea to make offers like that now, because it might be useful in the future. Maybe 5 years from now the Texas job opens up and Bennett is interested. There won't be any hurt feelings from being "snubbed" last time they were looking for a coach.

Lot's of politics in coaching searches.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas has more money than god. They can certainly handle finances and budgets comparable/competitive with the country's most successful college programs. Where Texas has to prove itself is having the WILL to build and support a first class program.

Note that Rick Barnes is now a Volunteer...won't have to trash his orange skivvies. good move for both partners.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas has more money than god. They can certainly handle finances and budgets comparable/competitive with the country's most successful college programs. Where Texas has to prove itself is having the WILL to build and support a first class program.

Note that Rick Barnes is now a Volunteer...won't have to trash his orange skivvies. good move for both partners.

And Barnes is a western part of the state North Carolinian. It's a lot closer to home at Tennessee. His old stomping grounds.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming you just want the resources to win, I think Texas is a better job.

UVA has no basketball pedigree to speak of save for the Ralph Sampson years and a couple of other decent years.

Texas has been able to snag several players who are NBA superstars. If you are trying to get McD AAs, it would be MUCH easier at Texas.

It doesn't matter that Austin is a football school. Sports RULE at UT and resources are unlimited. Academics and research will always be thing at UVA, and that is one of the reasons they don't care if their sports teams suck.

That said, I think Bennett likes where he is and is trying to build a certain type of program.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming you just want the resources to win, I think Texas is a better job.

UVA has no basketball pedigree to speak of save for the Ralph Sampson years and a couple of other decent years.

Texas has been able to snag several players who are NBA superstars. If you are trying to get McD AAs, it would be MUCH easier at Texas.

It doesn't matter that Austin is a football school. Sports RULE at UT and resources are unlimited. Academics and research will always be thing at UVA, and that is one of the reasons they don't care if their sports teams suck.

That said, I think Bennett likes where he is and is trying to build a certain type of program.

That is true to a certain extent, but UT has it's academics as well; there has been quite the pushback by professors over salaries of sports dept people vs. teachers.

Agree that this football school vs basketball school argument is a superficial one. Yes some schools obviously have BB programs that are the leaders in the athletics department, but does not mean a 'football' school cant also be a winning basketball school.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They have brought in good talent but Barnes has misused it. As you said they have plenty of money. There is plenty of talent in Texas to be recruited. They have good attendance at the games. They play in a very good conference (the tournament notwithstanding). I just don't agree taking the Texas job is lateral. And the argument that Texas is just a football school is pure silly. They have excelled for years in baseball, swimming and track and field.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh...Lon Kruger will be in the CBB HOF, as will Bill Self. Not sure where I could be wrong there.

I'll admit and succumb to the ACC dominance of CBB. Done. But if UVA is offering a guy 3 mil a year to come into the ACC, and texas is offering a guy 3 mil a year to come into the Big XII-2...wouldn't you think the path of least resistance (in terms of championships) would be in the Big XII-2?

Not sure if I would want to face ACC schools all the time...

Kruger's a helluva coach. As a former UNLV season ticket holder I was disappointed when he left the Runnin' Rebels for the Sooners.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Bobby Hurley in Austin, or has he signed a contract extension w/ Buffalo already?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have brought in good talent but Barnes has misused it. As you said they have plenty of money. There is plenty of talent in Texas to be recruited. They have good attendance at the games. They play in a very good conference (the tournament notwithstanding). I just don't agree taking the Texas job is lateral. And the argument that Texas is just a football school is pure silly. They have excelled for years in baseball, swimming and track and field.

Isn't Texas baseball one of the elite programs in the country?

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Longhorn fans...

Mike D'Antoni is looking for a job! :bolt:

:peep:

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to reports Texas is finalizing a deal with Shaka Smart. What a HUGE get that would be.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas should aim at getting that La. Tech coach

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the job ralphie. Trust me on this. UVA was an original ACC school in a basketball conference. Virginia has a shitload of history beyond the last twenty years. And I'm telling you that UVA is a more prestigious basketball job than Texas. Yes.

no they dont. They have the Sampson era. Virginia doesnt spend a ton on sports. They are abut academics and Olympic sports. Move on. Doesnt matter, I highly doubt Bennett was more than something to check the box. Its not that Bennett is not a good coach, but his style doesnt fit what Texas is looking for. Texas is building a new arena. They need someone to excite the fan base. Bennett is a lot of things, but his brand of hoops will never be described as exciting.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His system may not work at Texas

I think its a home run hire if true. Last two years he's pulled in top 25 recruiting classes, imagine what he could do with Texas' resources? He'll be fine if he pulls in even the same caliber players he got at VCU the last couple years.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the coaches with more than your heart occupant. And I'm not saying the Big 12 doesn't have some great coaches as well. But we are talking a basketball conference versus a football conference. If we were talking football would you take an ACC job at UVA over a Big 12 job at Texas? C'mon now.

Yes, because the Kentucky football job is better than the FSU job. Awesome logic

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its a home run hire if true. Last two years he's pulled in top 25 recruiting classes, imagine what he could do with Texas' resources? He'll be fine if he pulls in even the same caliber players he got at VCU the last couple years.

Yeah due to his fluke final four run in 2011 that VCU team had.