• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Too bad, so sad, Longhorns

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah due to his fluke final four run in 2011 that VCU team had.

Been a hot commodity in coaching circles for the last 3-4 years, but you dont like him. Thanks

longhorn718

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to reports Texas is finalizing a deal with Shaka Smart. What a HUGE get that would be.
I did a little Googling to find more info, saw some obvious April Fools headlines, decided I can wait til tomorrow.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, because the Kentucky football job is better than the FSU job. Awesome logic

Yep, if you had cared to read the previous posts I made considering the "prestige" and which job was a "better" job/fit, you would have seen several statements of reasons, not just the single one you've knee jerked and reacted to.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, if you had cared to read the previous posts I made considering the "prestige" and which job was a "better" job/fit, you would have seen several statements of reasons, not just the single one you've knee jerked and reacted to.
-
I saw them and I did not see anything of note. Mostly based on the ACC and not the University, hence my comment.

longhorn718

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check cbssports.com
Thanks. This had better not be a subtle prank on their part. Meanwhile, I wonder what happened with Marshall, if there was anything at all to the rumors anyway.

ETA: "HD reported Monday that Texas athletic director Steve Patterson didn't have Marshall among his top candidates because he didn't think Marshall would be a good fit at UT "personality wise."

Sources close to the situation said the knock on Marshall is that his personality might be a little too brash and hard to manage in Austin. Those sources said Patterson wants a coach who will provide an exciting, winning brand of basketball combined with a personality that will engage fans."

Well okay then.

Last edited:

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Texas is fortunate enough to land Smart, I think it will be a great move. Texas basketball needs some juice, needs to get people out of the doldrums. Needs to get the student body energized for basketball.

Things have become stale, just as with Mack in football.

I think a young guy like Smart would do that.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the job ralphie. Trust me on this. UVA was an original ACC school in a basketball conference. Virginia has a shitload of history beyond the last twenty years. And I'm telling you that UVA is a more prestigious basketball job than Texas. Yes.

I respect your opinion douggie, I just don't agree with it. UVA may be an original school but texas is texas. But nonetheless that's just my opinion too. Good luck Saturday. I remember the last time you guys played a final four game in Indy. I did not enjoy it :(

:suds:

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I respect your opinion douggie, I just don't agree with it. UVA may be an original school but texas is texas. But nonetheless that's just my opinion too. Good luck Saturday. I remember the last time you guys played a final four game in Indy. I did not enjoy it :(

:suds:

Thanks ralphie. And the key thing here is there's no right or wrong, it's just an opinion. But I'm 55 years old and remember the ways things were from the late 60's to the present. I'm not looking at a perspective of now or the last 20 years even.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaka should be the top of everyone's wish list, followed by Archie Miller and Fred Hoiberg

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before a football spring practice presser taking place right now, Charlie Strong was chatting with a reporter and said, "Shaka's in my office right now"; the reporter said he assumes he was kidding.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaka should be the top of everyone's wish list, followed by Archie Miller and Fred Hoiberg

I don't get why there is not more hype on Chris Mack. Guy has 3 sweet 16s in 6 years at Xavier

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Texas is fortunate enough to land Smart, I think it will be a great move. Texas basketball needs some juice, needs to get people out of the doldrums. Needs to get the student body energized for basketball.

Things have become stale, just as with Mack in football.

I think a young guy like Smart would do that.

Is it really a great hire for UT? He has never won a conference title and has made it out of the first weekend of the tourney one time. Granted the one time was a final four, but let's not act like he has been super successful.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it really a great hire for UT? He has never won a conference title and has made it out of the first weekend of the tourney one time. Granted the one time was a final four, but let's not act like he has been super successful.
-
Great hire regardless of personal opinions. HE is a very young coach. He has an engaging personality. He has turned down multiple jobs. He is considered an up and coming coach. 7-5 in the tourney. He also has 1 conference title. He may not work out, but the hire, if it happens, provides a nice shot in the arm to a program that needed it. Not many other hires could have done that.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Codaxx answers the question best, Wishbone. The basketball program is in the doldrums; excitement level is non-existent. Patterson had even hired a DJ to perform at home games... Hiring a young, up-and-comer would be a boost.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its crazy that Wsu offered their coach more money to stay than Texas is offering Smart.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its crazy that Wsu offered their coach more money to stay than Texas is offering Smart.
-
Its insane. I think he is a great coach, but I heard his personality is a bit on the rough side. That isnt the first time I have heard that. Sounds like he is more suited to a mid-major job. That isnt meant to knock him, because I can certainly understand anyone that is annoyed with the non-coaching duties of a coach at a major University. I know I couldnt do it.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really concerned that Patterson's personality and history will dash any hope of getting Smart to Texas. He is in Richmond now, with plan being to have dinner with Smart and family, then, hopefully, fly them back to Austin to spend the day tomorrow touring the campus and meeting with others.

Now Donovan in Florida is letting people know he may be contemplating leaving for the NBA, and Smart was an assistant there before becoming the coach at VCU. Might he wait for Florida to open, or might he just prefer to stay at VCU?

But Bama's AD flew to Wichita the other day, and left without Marshall- will that happen here as well?